Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to handle PI's/IM's on a Frenzybarb?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Furyan, May 17, 2008.

1. Furyan

Furyan IncGamers Member

How to handle PI's/IM's on a Frenzybarb?

Well, I've read a lot of guides, but most don't answer this question, or require an elemental weapon on switch, which ain't possible in my case. So I wonder, how to handle them? Is Berserk the way to go?

My gear:
    - Enigma AP
    - Beast BA
    - Last Wish BA
    - Arreat's Face
    - Gores Upped
    - Crafted IAS gloves
    - String of Ears
    - Highlord's
    - Raven Frost + BK5
    - Arreat's Face

On my switch I have dual Hoto's, which are awesome for both teleporting (in combination with an Insight merc I don't lack mana) and prebuffing.

But what should I do to handle PI's and IM's? Townrunning to swap to an elemental weapon for every PI I see ain't really that appealing, and it still doesn't cancel out IM knights. The most appealing option seems to be putting 1 point in berserk, but that would require sacrificing 3 skill points, and as we all know, skill points are precious for a Frenzybarb.

So the question is: is Berserk worth putting a point in? Doesn't that leave my Barb vulnerable, having zero defence? Are there any other options? Note that this build is purely made for PvM, and ocasionally ubers.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

*biwtimmy

2. EzkiMo

EzkiMo IncGamers Member

Re: How to handle PI's/IM's on a Frenzybarb?

berzerk is totally worth putting a point in, by the way you could have that high-elemental-damage-weapon in your stash and only bring it when you're sure you'll need it!

3. Metathrom

Metathrom IncGamers Member

Yeah, Berserk is the way to go. Howl also works on the fire immune variant of the cursing undead knights (Doom Knights, I think). Warcry, taunt and Battlecry are also extremely efficient against them: messing with their AI and then berserking them to death is an efficient way of dealing with them.

Regardless of skill points for synergies, I think a Frenzy Barb will be incomplete and much, much less capable in PvM overall, if he doesn't have 1 point in the warcries and Berserk. :)

4. Furyan

Furyan IncGamers Member

Aight, thanks for the replies :grin: I just put one point in Berserk (not in the warcries) and he slaughters IM/PI monsters. Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

5. krlemax

krlemax IncGamers Member

why joust not use reapers toll on merc ?
    gives 33% chance to cast lvl 1 decript wich can bring down pi

6. JVII

JVII IncGamers Member

Is there any other way to deal with them besides berserk? I've been reading these guides that tell me not to put any points into berserk,so Im not sure what to do.

7. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

You are supposed to ignore that advice. There is no reason why a Frenzy barb shouldn't spend the 3 extra points to get Berzerk.

8. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

You already have a pt into Double Throw. Put 1 into Throw mastery and use Gimmershreds or Demon Arches (both high elemental) or Lacerators (amp) on switch.

9. Spankeh

Spankeh IncGamers Member

This is true,
    Unless you mind doing a little less Frenzy damage... :grin:
    And halting your life/mana leech,
    And become a damage magnet with no defence,
    And all the items you use specifically geared towards frenzy get thrown out the window.

Basically, Frenzy (or any physical attack character) sux badly around Chaos Santuary or anywhere with Oblivion Knights/Iron Maiden.
    If you come up against PI's in NON Iron Maiden area's, Decrepify or Amp Damage is your answer.
    If its Oblivion Knights/PI's, dual Lacerators in double throw mode left mouse button is an excellent alternative.

Why?

Because you will still have leech
    Because you will still have defence
    Because you won't have spent 3 points that just take away your Frenzy damage.

Oh and BTW, this bit made me laugh:

Open your eyes just a little bit, you may learn something

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  10. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Oh. 24% skill %ED at best. Yes very significant...

Your barb cannot survive a moment without leech? Sorry, that's just silly.

When it really comes to it, there are these skills called Howl, Taunt, and Battlecry. Learn how to use them when appropriate.

Yes. Cause Frenzy weapons are horrid berzerk weapons. Right?

Well duh.

Sure, doing 20 or 10% of your Frenzy damage at best is better than killing most PIs in 2 or 3 hits.

Having an extra set of weapons is just finicky.

Don't need those. Your leech is decimated against PIs anyway.

Since when do Frenziers hang on 3 skillpoints?

Now you are making the assumption I have never considered those other options. Spending 3 skills points is simply a lot easier than depending on extra gear and low damage.

11. GeniusMisunderstood

GeniusMisunderstood IncGamers Member

I'm in full agreement with Stephan here - I've got a ladder Frenzybarb at level 74 at the moment and he's already decimating all. With some poison scs and baranars star he can deal with most PIs anyway (only in large groups does he struggle, and as correctly pointed out, howl/taunt/battle cry - at level 85 then dual Azurewraths (relatively cheap) on switch along with an Infinity Merc will do more than enough damage with frenzy. But I also see no reason not to invest three points to get berserk - with my weapons and gear my damage output is already obscene and therefore the extra 24%ed or, more likely, lack of points in one of the masteries, is inconsequential. Currently he's using a Grief PB and the aforementioned Baranars Star, and is having very little trouble in Act 5 Hell.

As for IM - it's tricky. That's a fact of life. What's the point playing the game if it's going to be really easy? The beauty of Frenzy is - SPEED! You run in, you lure the knights away, slaughter them whilst getting your frenzy speed up, then you run in and mangle the mages before they get their curses off. Now and again they might get the curse off - then you retreat at speed. It's not easy - that's where the fun comes in. I'd rather play a Frenzybarb and have a bit of a challenge, than just spam off blizzard/fireball/meteor from a distance and then lament the inability of my sorceress to take more than a couple of gloam hits before falling in the middle of Baalrun #xxxx. Your barb has no defence with Frenzy, but will have his resists and 2500+HPs. That'll do for me.

(One alternative to all this which I used with my Zealot was to have a Windforce or Witchwild on switch, or as already suggested Gimmershreds if you want to utilise the throwing mastery)

12. slam

slam IncGamers Member

i would go for berserk too, but how about a Passion weapon?