Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to get this Barb going?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JKS, Jul 9, 2010.

1. JKS

JKS IncGamers Member

How to get this Barb going?

I was considering to post this in the barb forum, but since it is a part of a project, I think here is more appropriate.

In short: back in 1.10 I had quite a few 90+ clvl characters, including 4 clvl99 from 1.09. I had almost complete self grail but after a couple years of playing 1.10 single player and finding no better rune than Ohm, I got frustrated and quit. When Blizzard finally made runes a bit more common I got nostalgic and decided to give it another try. I decided to start fresh from scratch.

As usual my plan is to build a barb who will run NM Meph, get enough items and depending on the major finds to start cookie cutter Sorc, Necro or Zon.

However it seems I have worse luck than expected and at clvl60 my best weapons are Honor Twin Axe and Unique Rune Scepter. The remaining equip is even weaker - not even a single source of CB, just 3% mana leech and so on.

Currently the barb is using frenzy because of leeching problems and low damage. I want to respec it as soon as he becomes ww ready. Now after this intro, the question is how to do that?

I can think of several options:
    1. Run Normal Baal or maybe even Meph to get at least Goblin Toes and Tarnhelm but it seems waste of time since he can't drop much more than that.
    2. Run NM countess to get a Pul and upgrade the unique rune scepter to elite.
    3. Keep running NM Meph even though it is currently a bit slow.
    4. Go for Hell Countess for faster rune find than NM Countess, but I fear it will be pain from NM Meph to the Hell Countess and the Countess itself might be a bit too strong for me.
    5. Try to get to NM Act 5 and shop for cruel weapons. Is it likely to get a decent cruel at clvl60 from merchents in Act 5 NM?

What other options are out there?

I know that Sorc is better to run NM Meph, but at the moment I have no items for her and she is too weak without any items.

2. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

Re: How to get this Barb going?

Personally, I'd park the barb for now and start either a Meteorb sorc or a Fishymancer. Casters have a much easier time without top notch gear. Typically, it's pretty tough to start with a melee character solely because of the lack of a decent weapon.

3. JKS

JKS IncGamers Member

Frankly a mellee char needs just decent damage weapon and some source of leech - so he can get by with 2-3 OK items.
    Both sorc and necro need plenty of +skills items and various sources of FC to be effective and they have terrible time in normal dificulty. As soon as I get say: Oculus, Skin of Vipermagi, Tarnhelm and a +skill amy, together with some mana/life/str charms, I will make a sorc.
    Most people say that casters do better with average equip, but with no equip at all I prefer mellee.

4. sylecn

sylecn IncGamers Member

Completely agree with Simps.
    I can't believe you don't start with a sorc if you are to going to do some serious MF.

5. Virtue

Virtue IncGamers Member

It is so much easier to start things off with a sorce. Ya plus skills help in killing speed, but you can go pure ptopaz while mfin' without too much worry. Going against Meph? Use the moat trick and you've got no trouble at all. Also, I find normal with an untwinked Sorce to be quite fun.

6. frozzzen

frozzzen IncGamers Member

If you decided to get your first character barb we won't stop you :)

All that I can say install RWM if you haven't (you can find it in sticky) and run countess. She is your best friend, trust me.

Code:
    +120% Enhanced Damage
    40% Chance Of Crushing Blow
    +200 To Attack Rating
    Adds 3-14 Cold Damage - Cold Duration 3 Seconds
    +10 To Vitality
    15% Increased Attack Speed
    Knockback
    Magic Damage Reduced By 2
    Level 4 Corpse Explosion (12 Charges)

Base can be Knout I belive? 40% CB is sweet for Frenzy barb. Also pay attention to racks in tower. They might net you a good base.

When you scrape your first Lem rune, make Treachery. 45IAS, Fade... It's great. It can also be used to prebuff your mercenary. Insight is great for merc weapon, even if you aren't caster. Dmg is quite impressive for such low end runeword. Make your way to hell Countess and try making Crescent Moon PB or two. Those are great for cost for frezny barb. Seeing that you played long time and didn't have any rune luck those runewords might seem unreachable, but trust me they are not. Hell countess is droping runes like crazy. Dual spirits can be good prebuff and hork switch and in the end they might help your sorceress.

If you are planing on respecing into WW don't. Wait for better times. Dual Oaths in eth Balrog Blades are your friend for WW. They aren't that hard to find and they get 4 sockets when brought to Larzuk.

If you manage to find Guillaume's Face or Tal Rasha's mask they would also work great. They drop quite often from Hell Andariel.

7. xxnothing

xxnothing IncGamers Member

That runeword would be "Black". Thul - Io - Nef in a 3os club/hammer/mace

Another fun early barb runeword is Strength. Amn-Tir in a 2os melee weapon.

Code:
    35% Enhanced Damage
    25% Chance Of Crushing Blow
    7% Life Stolen Per Hit
    +2 To Mana After Each Kill
    +20 To Strength
    +10 To Vitality
    Life leech and CB for the cost of Amn-Tir? Sign me up! :thumbup:

8. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

I agree with Smips that both sorcs and summon necro's are much easier to start the game with. But since you seem to have your heart set on a barb, let's see if we can help you with that.

1. I wouldn't do that. As you already stated, not much to be gained by going back.

2. Wouldn't do that either. The scepter isn't that good. And there are better RW's for the price of pul or even less.

One thing you might try is putting dual 'black' weapons on switch. That gives you 40% CB on each weapon. Frenzy a bit with that on a big hp target like meph and he should go down pretty fast. When he gets down to the point where CB isn't really helping anymore switch back to your regular weapons and finish it. That should save you some time.

A little more expensive with an um is crescent moon. Gives you decent damage (i prefer phase blades, but i'm not sure they can drop that early on) and static which should go off plenty when using frenzy.

A dirt cheap option is holy thunder. Doesn't give much in terms of ED, but lots of elemental damage.

Another inexpensive option is king's grace.

Lawbringer is not as cheap as the last two, but it gives big fire and cold damage. Not to mention LL. (And still cheaper than pul.)

And lastly voice of reason. Also less than pul and a pretty decent rw.

3. + 4. Depends on what you're going for. Meph running could net you some better gear. Not just for the barb, but also for other future chars. Or if you want to go for some off the RW's mentioned above and think you can handle the countess, you could go there. Personally i'd stick with Meph at this point. Much faster and easier runs and still a chance of a decent rune. This gives you chance a better sets/uniques and also a slight chance of runes for a nice RW.

5. I have no idea so i'll let somebody else answer that.

9. JKS

JKS IncGamers Member

Thanks a lot for all the answers. I couldn't understand how to make RWM mod to work. I did not notice an executable file, neither instructions where to place the files.

If I can use RWM that will considerably change the strategy because I already have the runes to make dual Spirit + Lore, use magic sorc amulet and start a sorc, instead of running NM Meph for basic uniques with the barb. It will be pain until clvl30, but I can deal with that. Then I can run the Countess with the sorc for runes since there I do not need MF equip anyway and I can make Crescent Moons and Oaths for the barb. From there on it will be a walk in the park.

If I had Io runes I would make Black and stick with the barb for a while, but since I have the required runes for Spirit, it is perfectly clear what to do.

Please explain how EXACTLY to install the RWM, I have it downloaded already.

10. queenEm

queenEm IncGamers Member

What I did was very, very easy... you download. Then you copy the exe- file that you use to start your D2 game (I have mine as an icon on the desktop). in properties for that icon there you add the search path to the place you have the unzipped zip file in into the "start in" path and that instruction is in the RWM file I think. You need to add soemthing the field above as well but I can't remember and I am at work.

(A very un-technical description I realize but I also had some problems with it. ...)

11. Hammy

Hammy IncGamers Member

The best Frenzy setup you can get without leaving NM is probably going to be a pair of upgraded Butcher's Pupils and a Guillaume's Face. If your ultimate goal is WW, they hit the last breakpoint with either a Shael or Jewel of Fervor in each.

If you make it to Hell, you can run Pits for some 3os Phase Blades and make Crescent Moon and Lawbringer, which are fantastic. I use a Lawbringer on my Frenzier and I wouldn't trade it for anything. They are both useless for WW though, since CtC effects won't trigger.

12. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

There's a thread stickied in the forum specifically for help with forum accepted mods and muling applications. I'd read through that for a description of how to install it. If you can't find it there, just post in that thread and someone will answer it.

13. JKS

JKS IncGamers Member

Update:
    After very painful Hell Countess runs with Honor exceptionals, I got 2 UMs and made 2 Crescent Moons in Legend swords. I will keep running the Countess for the runes for Oath and then I will move on in search of Eth Balrog blades.
    Since legend swords hit second WW BP, would you respect to WW, or you would stay with Frenzy until Oath?

14. Hammy

Hammy IncGamers Member

Too late now, but you should've made them in Phase Blades, which are indestructible and hit the last WW breakpoint. If you can manage Countess, you can manage Pits, where Phase Blades drop like water.

As far as whether or not to stay Frenzy, that's a preference call. The Static Field / Chain Lightning won't trigger when you're WWing though, so since you went through the effort, you should probably make use of them and stay Frenzy. If you are having troubles, I would try to make a Lawbringer (Amn-Lem-Ko) for your offhand, which will help immensely both in terms of survivability and breaking PI's. You don't need IAS on your offhand Frenzy weapon if it's the same base speed as (or faster than) your main.

You do need RWM installed to make Lawbringer though, just FYI.

Good luck!

-Hammy

edit: I realize I just restated my previous reply. At least I'm consistent...