Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to get things done

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by IntellectSucks, May 22, 2008.

1. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

How to get things done

So here's my idea for this thread. I'm sure a hell of a lot of us are working at places where it can be difficult for the customer to get what they want done. In the spirit of helping the community, offer up some insight into how your industry works, some general advice for how to deal with that industry, and some advice for what to do if you have a problem.

I'll start. I work at a bank.

1)Banks are very heavily regulated. As a result, they are required to very specifically lay out their policies and do not have a lot of flex room to make exceptions to those policies. Sometimes, especially when it comes to lending, the bank must justify every single exception to the regulatory agencies or face a fine. Sometimes, those policies are in place for the protection of the customer or the bank, ID and check cashing policies for example. While those policies may not make very much sense to you (sometimes they don't make sense to anyone), the person at the branch has little or no wiggle room to go around them. Keep that in mind.

2)The bank will never, ever, ever balance your account for you (not for free at least). If you get your balance (whether it's online, at the ATM over the phone, or from a teller/rep), DO NOT ASSUME THAT THIS BALANCE IS ACCURATE. The nature of the way that transactions post to your account is that sometimes, certain things are not included in the balance you are getting. MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE KEEPING YOUR OWN BALANCE AT ALL TIMES. Everyone makes mistakes. The average household will overdraw their account 2-4 times per year and overdraft fees are very expensive, $30-$60 per transaction. As a bank employee, if I have someone come in who has every transaction recorded in their checkbook with a running balance, I am much more likely to refund their overdraft fees VS someone who comes in and says, "well, I got my balance at the ATM and it said I had this much. Why would the bank give me a wrong balance?".

3)Make sure you have something in writing detailing what your fees are going to be. If there is a discrepancy between what the rep is telling you and what you see in writing, ask him to double check that OR get him to put it in writing for you. If you get charged for something you shouldn't have, and don't have it in writing, it will be your word against his if you come in later and want that fee reversed. (even when you explain all the fees of an account to a customer, they generally do not understand all of them, it's just too much information at once to really absorb)

4)If you have a problem, and you're not able to get satisfaction from the first person you deal with, ask to speak to their manager. Managers have much more authority to fix problems than the low-man-on-the-totem-pole. They won't ALWAYS be able to refund your fee or clear your check faster, but sometimes they can. If there is a legitimate bank error (a transaction posted twice, a deposit disappeared, etc; NOT the bank wouldn't refund your overdraft fees when you overdrew your account), keep elevating your problem until you get resolution. If you get high enough, that person will make sure your problem is solved, extemely quickly.

5)When you do have a problem, write down everything about every attempt you make to get it solved. If you call customer service, write down the date and time you called, the person you spoke to and some type of identifier (operator number, persons last name, employee #, etc). Sometimes those people are lazy, sometimes they're overwhelmed with work, sometimes they're incompetent. If your problem is not solved and you need to deal with someone else, it helps to be able to refer back to exact details rather than "Well, I dealt with someone over the phone a couple of weeks ago who told me this....". This point and the last one are infinitely more important in fraud cases. If you have fraud on your account NEVER EVER EVER let up until you get your money back. There is a time limit to how long you can dispute a transaction. If it is not solved in that time frame, you will never get the money back. Find out what that time frame is when you put in your dispute and make sure that it is solved to your satisfaction by that time.

6)Just a little bit of whining on my part and some defense of the people in the branches. No one cares what they do at the other bank or the other branch. If you go to the branch down the street and they never charge you for a money order, good for them. The person you're dealing with has to run THEIR branch. If there is an exception made to policy, the person in front of you is going to have to justify it. For certain policies, their job will be on the line if they make that exception. Would you put YOUR job on the line for someone you never met before? If what they do at the other place is so important to you, then go there.

7)Get to know the people at your bank. I make TONS of exceptions for my regular customers. If I've seen you every Friday for two years, I'm not worried about clearing your check a little early cause I know you'll be back here next week. If I've never seen you before, why am I going to put my job on the line for you? Also, the human element comes into play here. You tend to work a little bit harder for the people you know than for the masses of anonymous schmoes.

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

Re: How to get things done

I work at a pizza place.

1) We get backed up when the dinner rush comes in so don't expect your order to come out exactly at 20 minutes. Sometimes companies order 10-20 pizzas and expect it ASAP, of course they wait in line, but when we get around to making those 10-20 pizzas, don't expect for you to cut in the waiting line!

2) This job sucks. Big time. So try not to make us more depressed and angry than we already are. All of us are part-time workers who are going to college. A part time job at a pizza place is the on the top of our concerns and if we get fired, we don't really care. So try not to make us eat your toppings before you get your pizza.

3) Traffic exists. If you don't get a delivery from pizza in time. Traffic exists. Especially when you order it and you live 10 miles away. The freeways get congested. People want to go home and we refuse to send two people per car so we can get carpool. It's not cost efficient. If you know there is traffic on the freeways, don't order delivery. Come pick it up! One hour compared to twenty minutes to get your food. That or order later and starve a bit. Most importantly, don't call every 5 minutes asking where the pizza is when it's late due to traffic.

4) Food takes time to cook. The oven operates at around 450-500 degrees F in most pizza places. But the meat still takes time to cook. If you really want your food to be raw, then by all means ask us to go faster. We have no problem giving you undercooked pizza as long as you sign the waiver that said you wanted the pizza early. Trust me, I don't care if many of the people who come in regularly don't come in ever again.

5) This job sucks. So please, try not to call into a pizza place saying, "The pizza didn't taste right." I will laugh at you, not on the phone of course. On top of that, if you say, "The pizza didn't taste right," and don't offer a real explanation, we don't really care. But of course if there are missing toppings or it was undercooked, we will give you a discount or perhaps even a refund. Don't just say "It tastes funny!"

6) People who come often and are nice to us get free food once in a while. People who come often and treat us like crap get their orders later and pizza sometimes lukewarm. We have bias, and we aren't afraid to show you an attitude because nobody else really wants this job. Customer service sucks. So please, try to treat me nicely and I'll do the same. You aren't my boss, and my pay does not really depend on how much food is ordered.

3. Johnny

Johnny Banned

I'm a painter. Not much to say really...

Touch my tools, the surace I'm working on or my paint and we bill you for an extra hour.

Don't steal paint because stolen paint never dries. This is because any paint you will get a chance to steal has already been tampered with by us in order to bait you into stealing it so we can laugh our ***es off when you find out that nothing short of a blowtorch is going to make the paint on your windows dry.

If you want to buy paint or materials then arrangements can be made.

All painters work "extra" for cash payment so dont be shy about who you ask except for the ones who have no paint on their clothes. They are just higher ups pretending to know something about painting.

If we work on your house then serving the ocassional rounds of coffe is mandatory but pretend that you are doing it out of kindness. A happy painter crew is the best investment you will ever make. $1 worth of coffe and some boiling water can go a long way. Especialy when accompanied by cake.

4. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

Since I've done various cracks and boxes today already and pondered on Dondrei's junk, what the heck, I might as well.

I'm on a roll here.

5. th5418

th5418 Banned

I think if we touched Johnny's tools he would do the job with more energy.

6. kernelpops

kernelpops IncGamers Member

I think his brush would just get stiff, and not make an even coat.

7. Tanooki

Tanooki IncGamers Member

I'm not touching this one with a 10 foot pole...

8. Johnny

Johnny Banned

I would stil have you outranged.

9. th5418

th5418 Banned

I've seen the painter's long attachments, they're impressive. :thumbsup:

10. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

7) Don't ever yell at me for your late or incorrect pizza. It's almost never my fault, as I don't cook the pizza and I don't control how many drivers are on shift. If your pizza waits in a bag on the rack for 20 minutes because I'm the only one driving that night due to employee sickness or management ineptitude, that can't be helped. If you want to yell at someone, call up the manager.

8) Pizza usually contains meat. If you're a vegetarian, we'll try to accommodate you as we would any special request, but if a piece of ham finds it's way in, don't rant and rave. If you are that worried about meat touching any part of your pizza, make your own damn pizza.

9) Tip your delivery driver, especially if it's not a company car. A lot of drivers put miles on their own car, and use their own gas, and of that $2 delivery fee you're being charged, only a fraction usually goes to the driver. If you tip at a restaurant, where the person serving you just has to walk from the kitchen to your table, you absolutely should tip a driver that is literally paying out of his own pocket to get a pizza to you. To do otherwise is just pathetic.

11. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

I'm a Custom Home Builder/Carpenter/etc.

(1 Yes this means I can build you a dog house, yes I can build houses LESS than 5000sqft. So please never assume I'm one of 'those" builders than won't build a small house/carport/portable building. We LOVE to work on small projects as well!

(2 When you say "WOW, I don't see how you can stand that weather"..be hot or cold, we can't. We just take it, usually get pissed off as the day gets longer and wish we didn't hear that everyday.

(3 If you are building a house/etc, your builder(s) overall attitude does reflect sometimes on his craftmenship. If you want to act like a jackass to your builder while he is working on your house...expect him to get even somehow. More than likely your house will be fine and up to code, but there are many ways for a builder to apply stress and discomfort to the situation.

Remember...if you were a mechanic, and some guy dropped off his 50k dollar car for work..and said something like "wash your hands scrub, this lady doesn't get touched by filth, unlike your ooold lady HAHA"....yea we, like the mechanic, can get even. :)

12. Johnny

Johnny Banned

I find it hard to belliev that their only income is a fraction of $2 and at the same time have to buy gas

13. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

They get paid below minimum wage, just like waiters, under the assumption that they will make it up in tips. It is a bull**** rule.

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Bank statements aren't that bad, you should see how credit card statements are. Don't ever believe your minimum monthly payment unless you like the sound of "negative amortization".

Also, we constantly run surveys on people asking them about their spend behaviour. For instance, we ask them if they pay off all their credit debt before their interest free period expires and thus avoid paying any interest. They all say yes. We make billions of dollars every year over cost. Think about it.

My advice for credit cards:

1) Don't get one.

15. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Well not by double posting!

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  16. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

I worked Pizza Places in my teens. Man Does it Suck!

Ok if you are in 1/2 way successful or in any profession that travels thats not practical and they are a great tool , Pay everything on time every time, Run up large amounts of company travel fill out you expense forms on time and pay it all off.

I have A Large Strong Credit Rating that I could Borrow large amounts against, and even 2 cards used only for 1 year 0-2% rates on via balance transfer juggling of low interest funds.

Remember as your net worth increases so will both Assets and Liabilities, Balance your books, Pay by due dates.

17. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

You can do all those things, but they are predicated on you being a perfect transactor. Most people aren't.

18. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

In the US, get a credit card tied to a home equity loan. Then if you do run into any interest, it's at least tax deductible.

19. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

When I was a delivery driver, I got paid by the hour (minimum wage), just like a waiter would, except that I had to buy my own gas/oil/tires/etc too.

Pizza Hut charges $1.75 for delivery, which many people assumed was like a mandatory gratuity to the driver, but in reality, Pizza Hut kept $1 and only gave us $0.75 of it.

Without an extra tip from the person I was delivering to, it was quite possible for me to lose money on the trip compared to say, a waiter who incurred no such costs over the same time period. This was especially true for me, since we had an overly large delivery area, and I could literally be driving 20 miles roundtrip. $0.75 isn't going to cover that, I'm afraid.
    I think there is a law in Oregon preventing employers from counting tips towards wages, so I never had to deal with that.

20. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

Don't push it with the smart *** comment. It will back fire real quick. Understand?

/johnny.