Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to get 2nd D2 instance with version switcher?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by cft, Sep 22, 2006.

1. cft

cft IncGamers Member

How to get 2nd D2 instance with version switcher?

Hi! I'd like to get a 2nd instance of D2 started, so I can try to hunt the Cow King.

I have WinXP, and I have setup the loopback network thing, so XP will think its got a TCP connection. I setup multiple users for windows, and figured out how to switch users. So far so good.

BUT, I use the scripts to let me have multiple versions of D2 installed at the same time. (the ones linked here in the SPF FAQ)

On the first user, (who I want to host), I run the game using the script. This sets up for 1.10 and starts D2. I host a TCP game.

Then I go back to windows, switch to my alternate user, and I want to start diablo.

I know I can't run the script again, because it does things like renaming the files and updating the registry. So I thought I could just run the exe in the subdirectory.

However, it's not working. When I try to run game.exe, it appears to do some initial start up, the cursor changes to the cdrom icon, and it checks if I have the D2 disk in the cddrive (which I do). But then it just seems to end, and I'm left at windows.

It never gets to the point where it starts the Blizzard logo or the D2 intro movie.

Do I need a special modified dll to allow me to have 2 instances of D2 running? I thought that was only if I *wasn't* already using XP to have 2 different users running?

Thanks for your help! Maybe if I can get this working, I might someday collect the Cow Kings Leathers

2. cft

cft IncGamers Member

Thanks, nevermind, I figured it out.

I had to make a shortcut to the diablo2.exe in the main directory, but with the "run in directory" set to my 1.10 directory. Then I could finally start D2 on my 2nd user in Xp.

Did a couple of cow runs. Much nicer when you can kill the King instead of being worried about accidently killing him. Got a bunch of gems so far...