Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to fund builds

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Hilperi, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Hilperi

Hilperi IncGamers Member

How to fund builds

So I made an assasin as my first char this ladder and I have trouble getting him Hell viable and start making "money" from keys/runes etc.

I've been doing NM countess runs, cows, clearing act3 end for basket drops etc, but all I've made with it is some random amount of pgems and lots gimpy of thul runes (dont have chippeds to upgrade them) not much bigger runes from countess and all the mid lvl ones I have are from random drops while leveling...

So should I roll the basic sorc once again and do hell meph with moat trick or farm countess with max teleport build or something, I would rather not make a new char, but my 'sin just seems pretty bad starter char...

-Thank you for answers.

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Re: How to fund builds

I think that farming gems and Spirit+crafting runes in nightmare is the quickest way out of poverty, using a character who has decent weapons of mass destructionm, like a cold sorc. 200-300 pgems should be enough to switch to Tal's set and respec her into a meteorb. Then do hell Meph+Andy runs as well as Tunnels+Eldritch+Pindle runs until your fingers bleed (i.e. hundreds of them). Good luck!

3. TurtleBay

TurtleBay IncGamers Member

Also, it may be less exciting, but using a more skill tree dependent less gear dependent build such as a skellimancer as a first hell-bound character often makes funding your other new builds easier.

4. Hilperi

Hilperi IncGamers Member

I have made fishymancer first in few seasons but getting the first corpse in hell seems to take forever and gathering army each time, no teleport, skellies stuck in doorways etc keeps me away from summon necros untill I get my first enigma :p

I decided to make a sorc once again, I made it a nova/orb with high energy/warmth and ES as a support so I might get it teleport stable and possibly run hell countess with dual spirit for FHR etc, we'll see :)

Thank you for the answers, I'll make new mules just for the crafting runes and start piling them up so I can swap them for bigger runes and eventually get some proper items :)

5. geryon

geryon IncGamers Member

Skelliemancers aren't too bad to get the first corpses.

Strategy 1: Go through Anya's portal and raise the skeletons before they revive. Watch out for the charge.
    Strategy 2: Cold Plains and stand near Flavie, who'll kill a couple on her own usually. Attract helps.
    Strategy 3: (my general solution) just go to Cold Plains with your merc (mine does 1.2k damage and has Might.. and amp dmg) and let him kill some things, corpse explode to kill whatever's on screen if necessary, then raise the bodies.

I tried with a sorc... though I really like Teleport, my poorly-geared sorc is 800 times squishier than my fishymancer. One bad Pit pack and I'd die, without enough money to revive my merc, and be up poop creek without a paddle. My skelliemancer clears just as fast, sans le teleporte, and is MUCH less death-prone. I can also safely go into higher level areas (Chaos Sanct, for example) than I can on my sorc.

I ran about 100 NM meph and Baal runs with 0 luck, so I ditched that in favor of pit/chaos running on my necro. I've made more wealth from random socketed items, blue charms, gems, and the occasional rune than I have from unique/set item drops.

Your mileage may vary

6. PorkusMaximus

PorkusMaximus IncGamers Member

Don't upgrade the Thul runes, they are valuable in large amounts/spirit packs.

Easiest ways to get funds IMO;

1. Pick up and cube all flawless gems to perfect gems, sell in large amounts to ppl who re-roll charms etc. Very fast and easy.

2. Pick up and save all junk jewels, sell in large amounts to people who craft items etc. Not very fast but very easy.

3. Collect specific rune combinations and sell them in packs EG. Spirit packs or Insight packs. Value increases significantly if you include Hel runes for re-rolling, although finding enough Hel runes can take time.

4. Combine your gems, jewels and runes into specific craft packs EG. caster packs or blood packs. This can take a while because you'll probably end up with more of 1 item than another but large packs can fetch high prices.

7. Hilperi

Hilperi IncGamers Member

I think I'll try the runepacks method with jewls etc.
    I hate pit running because of the randomness and I cant remember all the stupid socketed valuable items anyways so its just the pgems, runes and charms that I really get from there, ofc I collect the basic monarchs etc, but anything a bit more exotic socketables i don't know about :)

8. krischan

If you enter the portal and go back right thereafter, the corpses will remain dead then when entering it again. I'm not sure if they can still be used for skellies then, however.

9. BKC

BKC IncGamers Member

Its the class specific items and polearms that go best there. 4os sacred targed (or rondache) with +4x resist will get you a nice chunk of wealth. eth 4 os CV will give you some wealth. +5 tornado pelts are well sought after espessially with 3 os or nice FCR mods on them!

Besides i identify (love my tome) every blue i find in there and search for tiara's/diadems/circlets with + skills/FCR/FHR//STR/DEX and 3 Open sockets that will give you a nice amount of wealth to! And i do it with a negative resists skelly mancer (based on the fishy mancer build) equipped with gold find! (as a matter of fact i usually identify everything i find and drop it back to the floor if it is of no use at all! i collect the gems and runes (stash m on mules it saves a lot of room!) and i gamble with the money i make to get me circlets/amu's and rings (prefeb the oh so godly rare ones ^^)

And the best part of it? level 85 area anything can drop there! i have a moderate amount of MF (a bit from my chancies + my gheeds + ali baba) and a bunchload of GF from my other items, coupled with a few mf sc's (4 and 5% mf sc's arent that expensive :)) i usually run this

a1 pits (you can add mausoleum to this one if you like)
    a2 ancient tunnels
    a3 travi (council mostly)
    a4 i stay away from this act with my nec!
    a5 pindle, shenk eldritch (for the rare drops)

Mule, and then a new game!

This basicly gives me enough wealth to build me any char i like. :thumbup:

Regards,
    BKC

10. Hilperi

Hilperi IncGamers Member

Damn now you got me dreaming for a fishymancer again, and I just made my soso to hell :p

I really hated the hassle with mage skeles too, summoning 12mages just to find out that most of them are poison/cold and you have to do it all over again...

But then again you could run it with pure GF gear as you said :)

Maby I'll try to get boosted trough hell so I can try my nova soso in hell cows, or just do NM ones, too hard choices once again ;<

11. krischan

Nightmare should be no problem with a summon necro (a skeleton army counts as a weapon of mass destruction as well :azn:) while a sorc will be quicker in hell mode, as she can teleport without obscenely expensive runewords and kill crowds as well as single targets while wearing lots of MF stuff and dealing her damage quicker. A summon necro is slower, but safer because most attacks will be directed at his minions.

There's nothing wrong with using your necro to gather gear for making a sorc fit for hell mode (and your necro as well, of course).

12. BKC

BKC IncGamers Member

this is what i did ^^ equiping my sorc through my necro :)

13. Occulus cant be ethereal

Occulus cant be ethereal IncGamers Member

The necro route isnt too bad of an idea since the decent necro gear goes for pgems. I always come late into ladder seasons. This season I just started a few weeks ago and just made a weak cold sorc and just did LK runs and it worked. Also it pretty good that you can reset your stat and skills this patch.

In the past I just started with a hammerdin anyway. Even though you arent godly you can still get through hell with inexpensive equipment and do certain runs that dont require 'nigma. I am finding the inexpensive runewords are great for starting out especially they are easy to make if you dont like to be bothered with trading.