Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to fix your computer in a bunch of easy steps...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkPotHead, Apr 12, 2005.

1. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

How to fix your computer in a bunch of easy steps...

1.Go to control panel and un-install all suspicious looking programs that you don't need/use. (For example: 180Search)
    2.Download Mozilla Firefox.
    3.Install it.
    4.Never ever use Internet explorer ever again.
    5.Scan your computer with trendmicro. (Which now works with firefox!!) (Install java runtime environment/java plugin for firefox if needed.)
    6.Clean/delete all infected files, then do the scan again.
    7.If you can't delete certain files, use Dr. Delete.
    8.Download Spybot Search and Destroy.
    9.Scan your computer with Spybot Search and Destroy. Any files that don't delete, use Dr. Delete.
    10.Download ad-aware.
    11.Scan your computer using ad-aware. Any files that don't delete, use Dr. Delete.
    12.Download a free firewall, i would go with zonealarm.
    13.Install and configure the firewall above.
    14.Restart your computer whenever needed in the above steps.

Soon to come: how to increase your computer performance by turning off all useless services/disabling useless programs from starting up.

(Any chance we can sticky this?)

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

I have a shorter guide:

1) Use linux.

But also for windows people, be sure to keep up with windows updates. Otherwise this is a good tutorial for basic computer maintenance/nonsuckyness. I've also found that Microsoft Anti-Spyware is extremely effective, and I would reccommend AVG free edition as everyday virus protection.

3. neophase

neophase Banned

Excellent suggestions, may I add on:

15. start >> run >> msconfig
    services > uncheck messenger if checked.
    16. start >> run >> msconfig
    startup > get rid of all ones you don't need... and you know what they are.
    I'd recommend qttask, jusched, realsched, + more.
    17. start >> programs >> sort by name
    18. Organize your computer using properly labelled folders to organize it. Among the folders you should organize: desktop, my documents, bookmarks/favorites
    19. If you can afford a router, buy one of these, as it's the best firewall available everywhere.
    20. Scan your ports for malicious intrusions... firewall does this, also msdos commands do this too.
    21. Try out different firewalls and see which ones are best, or asks on forums such as this one, what are the best firewalls and why?

more to come ;)

4. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

Step 1: Use hammer

5. DrunkPotHead

Part A of Part 2 completed :thumbsup:

6. Stargaze

Stargaze IncGamers Member

This program only exists in Windows XP/ME/98. Those running Windows 2000 can use the msconfig.exe ripped from Windows XP, though.

7. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

My version:

1) Take hammer to computer
    2) Procure Macintosh
    3) Forget all about viruses and spyware

8. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

So I'm supposed to install those Windows Updates and not download attachments from strangers? :confused:

9. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

i agree with everything everyone here has said although i would also recommend AVG (avast! virus guard) for a good FREE full anti virus program. Also I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss IE. Although Mozilla is the browser of choice for now when Microsoft comes out with IE 7 it will at least be a much more worthy choice for a browser.

Downloading/installin programs from those sites (ad-aware, spybot, etc.) should be pretty safe. Those are secure sites and dont have any viruses/spyware/trojans linked to them.

As for Macs...sure u could get one...but i wouldnt 1. waste my money... 2. Macs arent necessarily safer than PCs for a number of different reasons.

10. Kawaii

Kawaii IncGamers Member

11. DrunkPotHead

Do you need to partition your harddrive to be able to run either windows or debian on the same machine?

And do windows programs work on it?

Freet: Please sticky this, it will cut down on a lot of useless and repetitive threads. I might finish the part 2 in several days after i'm done with my schoolwork.

12. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

As this is not a computer help forum, but rather an off-topic forum I fail to see the necessity of stickyage. Should we also sticky one each of Religion vs. Atheism, Dem vs. Rep, music I like, movies I like, etc.

Reguardless of how often a topic comes up, the otf is more of a random entity than a collection of stickied threads. That's why the auto bump feature is here. What I would do is put a link to this in your sig or someone else's sig and direct people here when they do post about computer issues.

13. Chynobi

Chynobi IncGamers Member

From what ive heard All Microsoft are doing with IE 7 is the same as what Firefox has now... Although my sources could use a slap now and then.

Heres one :

21 : Defrag the Hard drive once in a while to keep things in order.

14. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Meh, Firefox sucks. IE forever!

Besides, the only way to remove some of that spyware is to do a reformat.

15. neophase

neophase Banned

OUCH OUCH OUCH!!! Don't even go there.

Do you truly know microsoft?
    They have backdoors in all their programs, ESPECIALLY Outlook and outlook express. You'd be a fool to choose IE or those email programs mentioned after you've done the research I have done, look into it!!!
    Backdoors, open ports, malicious ways for hackers to get in!!!

Even the same with mcafee and norton, those are FOOLISH choices to go with, get AVG, or buy trendmicro pc cillin, even FSECURE I hear is pretty good.
    I don't mean to flame, and that is not my intention, I'll speaking from experience client work that these programs have really bad backdoors and I have gone through Hours of unneeded BS to get rid of stuff that Microsoft ought to had properly plugged up before they advertised their products.

Believe me when I tell you, Microsoft has been bought out by hackers!! Either that or threatened or even been Bugged by hackers!! Reality!!!

Thunderbird is good for email, firefox is great, BETA7 will have same problems as the earlier IEs, I guarantee you.
    Microsoft think they have it all figured out, I got a few insider friends that have been watching microsoft builds in the last 5 years and they already know of IE 8 and 9's weak points, I am not BSing you!!!

so there, now you know. I was once down there too, but I listened and acknowledge, pretty easy thing to do.
    All you gotta do is take 4 seconds and say, "I understand", or "I believe".
    Easy as that.

Defrag is good, sisoft sandra optimizer is decent too I hear.