How to deal with Oblivion Knights with a Fishymancer

Joshebo

Diabloii.Net Member
How to deal with Oblivion Knights with a Fishymancer

Hi all,

Through the help of this board, I've learned how to handle the Maggot Lair, Arcane Sanctuary, and Gloams with my fishy in Hell. Now I am getting destroyed in the Chaos Sanctuary from the Iron Maiden effect of the OK's. Since that curse reflects the damage back at my skellies, they die quickly and I don't know what to do to counter that effect.

I have the cookie cutter build of 20 RS, 20 SM, 20 CE, and have at least 1 pt in all curses and summons. My gear is okay with around 5-7 extra skill pts and my fishy is level 81. I do have about 35 stat pts and 11 skill pts left over if I need it for anything.

I know this class is quite popular so there must be something that may be done. Once again, thanks for any help.

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
Personally when I hear the curse I always just run back about a screen or so to try and disengage my skellies as quickly as possible. Then I throw up a TP and go to town to talk to the local healer and have the curse removed.

Running back a Screen also makes it safer when you take that TP back down as you wont be on top of the fight, and you have a bit of time to re-raise any skellies that you lost.

That's just how I do it, not sure about everyone else

-hps

Milb

Diabloii.Net Member
Personally when I hear the curse I always just run back about a screen or so to try and disengage my skellies as quickly as possible. Then I throw up a TP and go to town to talk to the local healer and have the curse removed.

Running back a Screen also makes it safer when you take that TP back down as you wont be on top of the fight, and you have a bit of time to re-raise any skellies that you lost.

-hps
Ditto, exactly how I do it too. Same for any character with an Act 2 / 5 merc too.

Moar

Diabloii.Net Site Pal

-hps
Yep, same here. Just that I put the TP up before advancing, so that I don't have to stop in case of having a nasty Spirit or two following me.

Fluffballer

Diabloii.Net Member
I always nuke their bodies in the WSK, just so either random unravellers or Achmel's group don't recruit them again.

Orcin

Diabloii.Net Member
The OK's will often write over the curse with another harmless curse very quickly, so it is not always a disaster. I usually just charge ahead and explode every corpse available trying to kill the OK's before they wipe my army out. If I lose too many, then I retreat and come back as above.

Atil

Diabloii.Net Member
I either recast a Fire Golem next to them or move next to them myself to get them to cast the alternative close range curse (Decrepify?)

I those don't work, then the retreat/disengage/heal tactic as the others mentioned.

Sir Lister of Smeg

Diabloii.Net Member
I tend to try and have the curse overwritten by another, though that often fails. You can always cast a new golem next to them who will not immediately be cursed. I haven't played a fishymancer for quite a while, but I've noticed that oblivion knights tend to use decrepify when something hits them and then walk away. Summoning a new clay golem practically on them might cause them to decrepify, and thus save your skellies and revives and merc from iron maiden. You can also summon a few mages, so your meat shield won't be gone altogether in one go.

VCrow

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi all,

Through the help of this board, I've learned how to handle the Maggot Lair, Arcane Sanctuary, and Gloams with my fishy in Hell. Now I am getting destroyed in the Chaos Sanctuary from the Iron Maiden effect of the OK's. Since that curse reflects the damage back at my skellies, they die quickly and I don't know what to do to counter that effect.

I have the cookie cutter build of 20 RS, 20 SM, 20 CE, and have at least 1 pt in all curses and summons. My gear is okay with around 5-7 extra skill pts and my fishy is level 81. I do have about 35 stat pts and 11 skill pts left over if I need it for anything.

I know this class is quite popular so there must be something that may be done. Once again, thanks for any help.
What other skills do you have besides the three that you listed and at least one in their prerequisites? How are your status points distributed? What is your current equipment and what is your realistic target equipment? What level or what goal is this character attempting to achieve? What is your mercenary and what is his current and target equipment?

First, unequip your mercenary's weapon before engaging a large number of oblivion knights. This will significantly reduce the damage he is dealt from iron maiden, although he can still kill himself eventually. He's there for auras and crushing blow anyway, otherwise he's just another skeleton with extra damage and less survivability.

There's no efficient way to prevent iron maiden from killing your skeletons. The simplest and best solution is not to prebuff your skeletons with more equipment than you can fit on a weapon switch in the chaos sanctuary and the worldstone keep. So just put your arm of King Leoric and splendor (or Trang-Oul's claw if you use the full set) on your secondary switch and use that to make skeletons, which allows you to simply resummon your army at will when most or all of them kill themselves on iron maiden. It's either this, or run away every time iron maiden is cast in order to save your prebuffed skeletons, and some of them will inevitably still die and you'll still have to go and switch out all of your prebuffing gear. I got so tired of doing the gear swap thing that I just incorporated enough +summoning skill into my build to only require a switch, and utilize slightly weaker skeletons in exchange for effeciency as well as power in other areas.

As an addendum, I don't personally have the lifetap skill, however I wonder how much damage mitigation it would provide. Does anyone have an answer? Theoretically I don't expect it to provide much, considering it provides 50% life leach versus 200% damage returned on a level 1 iron maiden.

Orcin

Diabloii.Net Member
As an addendum, I don't personally have the lifetap skill, however I wonder how much damage mitigation it would provide. Does anyone have an answer? Theoretically I don't expect it to provide much, considering it provides 50% life leach versus 200% damage returned on a level 1 iron maiden.

I've tried this. Lifetap doesn't help much at all.

Crazy Runner Guy

Diabloii.Net Member
Attract > all monsters. Use it. You've got to kill them before they target your skellies. Sequence is attaract/amp/someone dies/CE/CE/CE/etc.

crg