Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to deal with Duriel - normal, not online.

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by gbullit, Sep 12, 2006.

1. gbullit

gbullit IncGamers Member

How to deal with Duriel - normal, not online.

Hi!
    I'm started to build a Amazon, trying to follow one of the guides here: PvM Multi/Strafe/LF/CS Hybrid by Kijya. I have played as a Sorceress both Normal and Nightmare (not online) and I found Duriel to be one of the most difficult to deal with. It's a small room, nowhere to "hide" :grin: . What is the best attack for me. I'm Amazon only lvl 24 at the moment. I got a Rouge Scout as "helper". Any help with this would be much appreciated :smiley:

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

I would hire an Act 2 mercenary. He has much better tanking capabilities against Duriel. Have him tank while you fire your arrows from afar. Normal Duriel's Holy Freeze doesn't have that far of a radius, so if you stand far enough away, you won't be frozen. Be sure to jam potions down your merc's throat. Since you're 24, stick a point in Decoy if you can for an extra tank.

3. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

In addition to that, if you have been investing in CS, it will be very useful in taking down Duriel. Let the merc tank, and then walk up and CS. If your weapon has a good melee range, Duriel will attack your merc who is closer to him, allowing you to CS him.

4. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

In addition, my strategy with any "weak" character is to make a TP as soon as I enter the room. That way if I run out of potions or get in some kind of other trouble, I have a quick exit, can by potions, ressurect merc, restock arrows, then pop back through and make another tp, repeat, repeat, repeat until Duriel is dead. This is especially helpful when Duriel refuses to acknowledge my merc or summons...charging straight for me instead. :undecided:

5. adddm

adddm IncGamers Member

Use a Stick

If you don't already have one, buy a decent (faster is better since you'll be slowed by his aura) javelin/short spear/pilum and the best shield you can buy with +blocking percent/chance to block mods and try to get to 75% block. Hopefully, you added enough stat points in Dex to be at there. Fill your belt with reds. Enter his area and charge right to him. This will keep your Act I merc away and alive so she can snipe at him. Poke him and drink when you need to. If you have dodge at say 24%, you should be able to bring him down without going to town for more reds. You don't need Jab for this, so you won't have to worry about blues.

6. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

If you are a pvm bower/jav hybrid you should have enough dex to block easily with Sigon's shield if you have it. Or buy a shield with increase block rate shield. The key is to survive the initial charge.

An act2 prayer merc can tank him quite nicely but feed him the pots ! Then if you went the CS route early you can start poking him to death. If a bower just hang back and shoot arrows. Don't get chilled !

7. gbullit

gbullit IncGamers Member

Hi again, thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it :smiley: I hired a Act 2 mercenary and spend some time with him in those tombs to get him to the same lvl as me (27) He's got a decent bardistock with 3 gems dam 97-138 and I got CS dam 27-54 (1-79) I could not use the bow because Duriel was chasing me around, never bothered about the mercenary :grin: I changed tactics and used CS it was no big deal with the help from my mercenary, only used 4 rejuvenation potions, that's all. :)

8. gasher

gasher IncGamers Member

First and most importan thing in fighting Duriel is that you don't do it alone. Find someone or something to tank it for you. You can of course tank it yourself when you high enough level and have good armor class but then you need someone to do damage to him, since you most likely chugging down potion after potion. If it is singleplayer game though then tough luck but you can still use merc if you gear him out well enough.

Some things though what you must keep in mind is that always open up TP before going to fight Duriel, have hotkeyed full tome of town portals. Better do it outside when alone, since you might diebefore you can put it up in its lair. When you decide to tank it yourself, keep your back againist wall or even corner, it can not charge you that way. It still hits you hard enough if your armor class not above 500 something in normal, so better have loads of potions on your belt and inventory. And as with any normal boss, level 6+ sorceress can do quick work on it by using Static Field.

9. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

As was said, this is Single Player. Besides, I play realm solo, and almost always taken Duriel solo.

I've never had a problem casting a TP first thing upon entering Duriel's lair. Easy to cast again when you re-enter.

Possible, but kind of hard to be wearing a 500+ defense armor by Act 2 Normal.

My point was that using TPs and an Act 2 merc, it's possible for any character to wear Duriel down.

10. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

i think the tp is the most overpowered item in the game. :shocked: