Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

how to continue with my MFing barb

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by HBeachBabe, Feb 21, 2004.

1. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

how to continue with my MFing barb

I started a barbarian today for the expressed purpose of eventually being a MFer. but today was all about act 1. I started with both Hsurus' Defense & Berserkers Arsenal, just 'til lvl 6 when I switched to Sigon's Complete Steel - damn that set looks nice if nothing else. I used Blood Crescent until lvl 12 when I switched to Shadow Fang. added some jewelry from my stash, until lvl 15 when I added a rare ammy w/ +1 to warcries (and other good mods). This equipment let him breeze through the beginning of Act 1 at players 8 the whole time doing full clears without ever even taking a hit. I just hit lvl 17 while fighting towards the monestary waypoint. I hit that and am about to go to bed as I'm dead tired :sleep: and my finger is sore after 6 hours of clicking. Yes, I'm a reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaally slow player.

so my question is this. when should I expect Sigon's to no longer be adaquate, and what should I move to next. Also, what type of barb works best for MFing? WW, Frenzy, Berzerk, Titan, Conc, Singer, Iron man, something else? I would think a dual wielding one (for 2 Ali Babas) but does that require going the Frezy route or are you just holding the second Ali without actually using it during the kill shot? any help is greatly appreciated.
    :thanks:

2. DreamlessDude

DreamlessDude IncGamers Member

In my opinion, sigon gets somewhat less powerful in end of act 2 to act 3. Thats where its time to move on to the world of uniques. Many items will be awaiting you at roughly level 24.

As for what type of barb, i would avoid ww barbs unless you have nice gears to back you up. Dual ali baba is mainly for doing the final shot and you are not going to use it to attack the enemy at all since the damage at later stages will really get too low to score a dent in the monster's life.

An iron barb(which is one using concentrate) in my opinion is the best. Frenzy works too but i personally do not like berserk as i hate having 0 defense which means nearly anything can hit you. Titan is probably kinda dangerous at least for me.

3. DMPI_Masher

DMPI_Masher IncGamers Member

The best advice I can give you is find yourself or trade someone for a 5 socketed Executoner Sword and throw in the "Honor" rune word. AMN EL ITH TIR SOL. It has relatively low level requirement but does have a high 170 Str req. Your a baba anyway so STR should already be a priority.

Another option is to place "Kings Grace" AMN RAL THUL into an Ancient or Rune sword or decent Exceptional 2 handed sword. Usefull mods here as well and low item requirements.

I assume you chose sword mastery as your main weapon. There are not a lot of great unique swords out there until you find the ELITE uniques or Bul Cathos set. I would ditch the weapons you have as soon as possible. If you don't have the runes you could also try and find a decent rare. Shadow fang does have dual leach but its damage is so low you may as well be weilding a wet noodle.

Once you get your MF equipment base set...ie boots gloves rings etc. Dual wielding Ali Babas is definately the way to go. Just make sure you socket them with either 7% or better MF jewels with mods if available (10% being max) or 2 IST runes (2 years and never found one).

Sliver your (insert favorate demon lord here) to minimal life with your main weapon then switch to the DUAL Ali's for the kill.

Best of luck to you and I hope you soon get the items you've always been looking for.

4. DreamlessDude

DreamlessDude IncGamers Member

Anyway for boss mfing ( unless you are going to the pits), i suggest getting a decent amount of crushing blow. Open wounds are nice too.

5. tentpeg

tentpeg IncGamers Member

WW Barbs are the most solid MF'ers. Most importantly you need to pick a weapon the work out you gear from there.

Use max whirl, orders, mastery and find item.

Most players use the ali baba's on switch for find item, as they are not great killing weapons.

6. HBeachBabe

follow up Q. : which merc to use and is it possible in Hell for them to be alive long enough to get the kill shot at Baal/Meph?

7. steelsixtyIV

steelsixtyIV IncGamers Member

Yes, with a might merc it is possible but not very pratical. I had a MF barb back in .09 and I used Concentrate and Zerk on the weapon switch.

8. Artemis

Artemis IncGamers Member

My HF merc is pretty durable, as long as Shout and Battle Orders is on him. As soon as that runs out though, he doesn't last long.

9. HBeachBabe

Kaalor killed Andarial tonight thus completing act 1 at /players 8 and hitting lvl 20 just before opening the double doors to her chamber. Aside from some champion boss packs, and Andy herself, he barely got scratched and used only one healing potion in the entire act during the Andy battle (not really a battle as it was over in about 22 seconds). she dropped a rare sabre and a small shield, only the second set item I found in the act (the first being Death's Guard). I got 0 uniques but the 80% MF from Sigon's & 2 rings did account for a lot of rares. I now move on to Lut Gholen and hopefully some better finds.

Or perhaps I'll stay and run Andy a few times. is she worth it in Normal, just to find low level set/uniques?

10. DMPI_Masher

DMPI_Masher IncGamers Member

@ level 20 I'm usually running around act 2. You will more than likely find better items running down random monsters in act 2 then you would find anywhere in act 1.

I would try to get to to Act 4 asap to kill Izual then go after meph for a while and find the better items. You should find some low level sets / uniques on him.

Good luck

11. HBeachBabe

Kaalor found his Cube today and is now lvl 23. Sander's is finally starting to not measure up as he actually took damage during his battles with the mummies in the Halls of the Dead. once he hits lvl 24 I have some much better equipment for him, especially a better sword, since at /players 8 things seem to be moving kinda slow - it takes 3-5 hits to kill things and his only crowd control skill so far is Howl.

I have decided to go the WW route rather than an Iron man/concentrate barb as I'd like to have a faster kill speed rather than focus on not taking damage. this is SC after all. if I die, it's not the end of the world.

So aside from digging through my stash of various rare swords, are there any recommendations for which sword to go with now?

12. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

The unique flamberge is nice once you get WW. It has high mana leech and decent damage. If you have mana leech already, you can't beat the patriarch with a shael rune to hit the 2nd BP.

13. HBeachBabe

so my DSL went down yesterday, which gave me time to get Kaalor up to lvl 27 and defeat Duriel. Sigon's Complete Steel held it's own all the way through. at lvl 24 he switched to a previous barb merc's old sword, a giant sword socketed with 'King's Grace'

Life leech is nice but still no mana leech as my ATMA stash is completely lacking in mana leech rings/ammys (I have a Manald Heal on a diff. character). Since he is only using Concentrate right now, it's not a big deal. I managed Duriel at /players 8 without drinking a single potion - he hit me, i hit him and leeched back what I lost. Find Item is actually what drains the most right now, but it keeps him well stocked so I don't mind quaffing a lot of blue (is anyone else reminded of that Kool Aid flavor Great Bluedini? No? Guess it's just me)

when he finally hits lvl 30 and gets WW, should he go 2 swords or sword/shield then? sword/shield is working out so far, but having never played a barb before, I'm not sure of the advantages/disadvantages of each and the barb forum is despertely lacking in build guides right now. Basically, I'm just planning on maxing out WW, BO, sword mastery and FI. Anything else i should be concerned with?

14. HBeachBabe

well, after a few weeks of neglect, I finally got back to Kaalor the Barbarian and finished up normal level, killing Baal and earning my Slayer title.

Baal was easy but slow. I need a better sword. any suggestions for a lvl 45 WW barb?