Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to build a Rubber Ducky

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by In the name of Zod, Jul 20, 2010.

1. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

How to build a Rubber Ducky

What is a Rubber Ducky?
    A character that never needs to repair their gear. All gear is either indestructible or repairs itself.

Why would you want one?
    Recently found a fun new challenge which is to play the game without the use of gold or mercs. This means that you go through either a lot of runes repairing stuff or you leave a trail of used items behind you. For an extra challenge it can also be played untwinked.

Are there benefits apart from the obvious?
    The obvious being, that you get to keep playing uninterrupted which by itself is quite nice. The other obvious bonus is saving gold. But apart from that it also means that the ethereal mod creates the new elite class. Yeah, I know ok please.

Where to start?
    LK is a pretty good place, it does however mean that you need to check a great deal of items that drop. I haven't started this as yet since I thought a post would be more an appropriate time saver. Lets see what you have to say.

What are you after?
    Probably rares and crafted items. There's a small sum of runeword's that grant indestructible or repairs (Oath, Botd, Death, Exile, Prudence), some unique's. Its a bit limited in variety just following runewords & uniques. On that note, more specifically what you are looking for are:
    Of self-repair (magic & rare suffix) (lvl req.1 - rep 1 dur/33secs)
    Of restoration (magic & rare suffix) (lvl req.12 - rep 1 dur/20secs)
    Of Ages (magic suffix only) (lvl req. 42 - indestructible).
    There is twice the chance of restoration than ages, and trice the chance of self-rep than ages.

What's a real reason for doing this?

You get to hunt something different and for a decent reason. Rubber duckies are a fun concept. It's a pleasure not having to repair stuff, especially if you've been playing untwinked. Taking that into account it would be nice to know more about this specific area of the game.

What is the cost?
    The big one is giving up the suffix slot on all magic items. This means that rares & crafts will probably be preferable. Please feel free to add.

Already done it?
    For all builds?

Views, thoughts, experiences, knowledge, critique? Please share.

2. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

Re: How to build a Rubber Ducky

I played a "no town" assassin (untwinked, hardcore, single pass, full clears) for a while (I chose assassin so I would not have to worry about keys). She was actually one of the most fun untwinked characters I have played. Inventory management with no stash was crazy, and the cube was a godsend. Using ethereal items (since they would break anyway) was fun, but I was always trying to assemble "self-repair" gear.

Of course, I got bored of her as I do of all my single-pass characters, and my ruleset was a bit different than yours, but I enjoyed her.

3. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

I've made a point of collecting items with eth and self-repair, regardless of the usefulness of other mods.

A quick check in GoMule shows I've accumulated 37 such items (including 3 uniques), though it's possible many are lousy.

I've always had the idea to start a Rubber Ducky (I didn't have such a premo name in mind), but never got around to it.

4. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

I've got a fanatic zealot going somewhere who is using only ethereal self-repair gear, mostly rares. He was well into NM but I haven't played him in a while. He is of course all twinked.

There have also been some interesting tourneys with various limits (no talking to inessential townspeople, for example- All Alone tourneys) which made no repairing possible, and of course naked characters have no need for repairs either!

5. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

My characters have money to spare all the time so I think self repairing items junk. It's just one mod I rather wouldn't have on my items as it excludes other more usefull mods. Self replenishing items on the other hand are god sent.

Then again as a tournament idea this sounds great: no repair.

And btw. please don't use such small fonts. My old eyes are not what they used to be and your post was pain to read.