Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to break absorb in PVP?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Asonet, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Asonet

Asonet IncGamers Member

How to break absorb in PVP?

Hi,

How do you break absorb in PVP? I am a cold sorc doing around 800 orb damage and 220% cold mastery. If my opponent was wearing a raven frost and a luna, what could I do to counter this? Doom? Lower resist wand? Is there any way I could break the absorb?

2. Mage_Killer

Mage_Killer IncGamers Member

unluckily(is it written the right way?) the only thing you can do to get past absorb if you have your opponent at -100 coldres is getting more dmg orb or go blizzard(if you have high +skills you can try blizz too, even if you're a orb sorc, it'll probably beat orb in dmg) :|
    if there is another way i'd like to know too :D

3. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

there is no way. -res works on res. absorb is calculated seperately and as of now (there probably won't be any more patches) there is no mod that changes enemy absorb.

but there are 2 kinds of absorb, % and straight subtraction. once someone hits 50% absorb, the only way to kill him is one hit kills. straight subtraction (i think luna has this) does not scale up as you do more dmg, so simply doing more dmg will overcome that type. ie: it will absorb the first 100 dmg, but everything after that goes through.

offhand i don't remember which is calculated first.

4. Mage_Killer

blizz did something right (yes you're reading correctly) in 1.10 and capped absorb at 40% ;)

5. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

you don't happen to know which order % and +absorb is counted, do you? bc depending on the order, that 10% could very easily be made up for.

6. Mage_Killer

Nope, i dunno
    maybe someone at the stats forum knows

7. Asonet

Asonet IncGamers Member

Well dude, if theres no way to break absorb and my orb is at like level 40 something, I dunno what to do.

8. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

iether get a 2nd element or don't duel someone who has max cold absorb.

9. BlackTiger

BlackTiger IncGamers Member

if you have max cold mastery, then his resists are -100 and since absorb is capped at 40% you are still doing 20% damage to him, and with -100 resists dont you still do 40% damage? This is still pretty good if you do high enough damage.

10. redsand.

redsand. IncGamers Member

The sad thing fact is that they can still absorb/resist up to two elements.

Thus, the only true way to counter that would be a trielemental sorceress. Even then, it just depends on the wealth of your opponent and what type of resistance charms they posess.

Have you tried maxing your inventory with cold skill gcs?

11. Dr4kan

Dr4kan IncGamers Member

well ur best bet in dueling are having Cold Facets socketed in ur helm/armor/orb
    Basically u need some very good gear to damage someone wearing 2 ravens and so. I tried this with one who had some nice cold sorc gear. He had 8 cold charms, deaths fathom sock cold fac, ormus robes sock cold fac, Nightwings veil cold fac sock. And some sojs, and such, think he had about lvl 36-38 orb, cant remember if his mastery was maxed. But we tried in normal, i used 2 x ravens had about 200-220 cold resist. He did 700 damage to my pala in a straight orb. Though if added a luna i think orb would heal u instead. But i think that the new items/jewels are there to help our poor cold sorcs sustain their power, even though its easy to obtain absorb/resist in pvp these days. i think a blizz sorc would have killed my pala instantly with that setup, as it does a lot more damage(i only had about 1400 hp on the pala so i think hed kill me in 2-3 secs :) ) So id advice u to try use facet jewels, try obtain a deaths fathom(or socket oculus with a 4/5-5/5 facet) and get ormus robes, in my opinion i think they beat vipermagi in damage though u lose the +skill, u still get nice damage from them, nightwings veil is great for a sorc, though the downside is that it would be bad manner in s v s

12. Firey_chasm

Firey_chasm Banned

its impossible to break a 2x raven luna combo with orb, my necro has 2x raven luna tgods belt and the rising sun amulet and helmmouths war gauntlets amulet, this gives my absorb of all elements, i also use guardian angel and waterwalk which gives me a max resist 95,90,95,90 i am immune 2 all except bliz sorcs, my m8s lvl 45 bliz and all synergies takes about 6 hits to kill me, I am also immune 2 foh palas and trap assa's and any other elemental attack, i dont use this char in normal duel games bcoz its bad manners 2 b so invulnerable, especially since my bone armor absorbs about 800 physical damage, I have about 1.5k hp as well I just use him 2 laugh at noobs who camp outside town with there elemental druids and think they own or their trap assa's etc. ime sure you know the type