Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How to best spend those runes

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JKS, Aug 14, 2010.

1. JKS

JKS IncGamers Member

How to best spend those runes

After being incredibly lucky, I got 2 Ohm in 1 hour and a Gul from the Hellfore, it is now time to upgrade.

I am currently playing a fanatic zealot with the following equipment:
    (shared with a ww barb and probably with future mellee chars)

Oath sword
    Upgraded Duriel Shell
    Stormshield
    Shako
    Metalgrid
    Dual blood rings
    LoH
    Thundergods
    Goblin toes

I have at least 3 possibilities:
    Call To Arms + Exile + Death
    Fortitude + Death
    Grief

What would you be your advice?

2. elevenlang

elevenlang IncGamers Member

Re: How to best spend those runes

first one, exile will make you a lot safer. death with CB and CTA are also good

just find a good shield, I have a eth +45 all kurust shield, best possible much better than storm IMO, more defence, freeze, life tap.

3. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

I depends a little on what your goals are with other characters. Imo, Fortitude is the best use of your first Lo, since you can use it on any character (if not worn by the character, then worn by the merc). CtA+Exile+Death is also a good choice. As awesome as it is, I'd put Grief after Fort+Death.

Maybe you already know, but Death requires Vex+Gul.

4. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

For specifically this character I would go Fortitude+Death.

Generally I would make Grief. That gives you a great weapon for a council runner, and then more runes for Fortitude shouldn't be too long forthcoming.

5. JKS

JKS IncGamers Member

I have a couple of Ists saved (they can either be used in CtA+Exile or can be cubed into a Vex).

Since it is softcore and I do not die too much I was planing to get Fortitude + Death to become more powerful, and to make Exile at a later stage. CtA is lowest priority in this scenario,

However If I get Exile + CtA I will have definitely improved survivability which actually in turn might increase my killing speed.

The third point is that even though I plan to use Death as an end-game weapon, I can hardly share it with the barb, while Grief can be used by both.

And fourth, currently I play the paladin a lot more than the barb, so I guess I should give priority for his biggest benefits.

By the way how many runes have you found. In 1 month I got:
    Cham, 2xOhm, Gul, 3 Ists and 3 Mals.
    I am afraid I might not find runes in a while so if I make a choice, it should be a choice I wouldn't regret.

On the other hand, If runes continue to drop like that, I can simply make half of the runewords now and the next will follow soon.

Sorry if it looks too complicated, it is that I cannot make my mind yet and that choice seems important for this char and for all my chars in general.

One last note. So far my best shields are 29 resist all ethereal and 45 resist all non ethereal. Since I play without trading, it might take a while before I get a perfect/decent eth elite pal shield. Would you waste the runes in one of the two I have, or would you rather wait?

6. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Just made Fortitude with my first Lo :>

Grief will be best for your zealot, Fort for your whirler. I'm not a fan of CTA, although it's useful on pretty much every char so it's a good choice. I wouldn't do Exile seeing as you get more from dracs + SS than from loh + exile. Exile will be useful now but a waste in the long run imo.

*That's pretty lucky. I almost quit because I wasn't getting anything above Lum for about 2 months while newbies were getting Lo and Ber left and right, but I've had a good streak of luck the last 3 weeks of so. Since 1.13 went live I've got 2 Ohm, 4 Ist, 2 Gul and 2 Mal.

7. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

I probably play a lot less than you. In about 150 /p3 trav runs, I found LemUmUmVexOhm. Questing my zeal barb got me a Pul rune from normal drops and a Gul from the forge, so this character really hasn't seen much in the way of runes.

I would definitely wait for a good shield to make Exile in.

I'd really recommend that you either make Grief or Death+Fort. Either one will let you make a decent trav runner if you want, and can be used on other characters as well.

I my first two highish end runeword weapons were Death in a Colossus Blade and Oath in a Cryptic Sword. I'm still very happy with them, and I use the Death CB on my trav whirler.

8. frozzzen

frozzzen IncGamers Member

CtA is the best investment of your first Ohm. Exile can be worn only by Paladins so it isn't something to be considered imo. And right base is soooooo rare...
    Death seems like decent choice too if you prefer melee characters, but I would save that second Ohm for Grief. it is number one weapon and you can wait a bit for it. Trust me it is worth waiting for.

9. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Do you have HoZ? If you do forget Exile.

CtA is always good. IMHO there is no nonbarbarian build that cannot use it and benefit from it.

My Zealot is using HoZ & CtA. Main weapon is a Lwabringer in a phase blade, but I will make Death for him but don't yet know in which base.

10. JKS

JKS IncGamers Member

This game is starting to make fun of me.
    Just when I was absolutely sure that I want Exile, an Eth Reaper's Toll dropped. The Decrepify on it is so good, the life tap will simply mess with it.
    My merc can tank just about everywhere, and I do not die because monsters are crippled. But even more important is the huge difference in damage because of Decrepify. I can solo fast and easy CS at /p8 (BTW do you go back from the waypoing to clear whole River of Flame, or you go directly towards CS?) I can't imagine what would be when I get Grief.
    And the PI are also gone just to make it sweeter.

Anyway I decided to wait with runemaking for a while. Fortitude I want for sure, but I have to make my mind whether I will use Death or Grief with the paladin.
    Death looks like more damage (at /p8), but Grief is for the barb for sure, so that will save me runes.

By the way I do not have HoZ yet but a perfect Crown of Ages (well almost perfect) dropped, so I will stay with CoA+SS for the time being.

11. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Decrepify and Life Tap actually don't mess with each other that much. They will continually overwrite each other, which might sound annoying, but you end up getting the benefit of both over the course of a fight.

But to add input to your question, I'd probably stick with SS for the shield and save up for a Grief.

12. elevenlang

elevenlang IncGamers Member

yes, decrepify and life tap not mess a lot, you have either is fine, either way it is very hard to die.and you will kill everything eventually:) Ihave use lawbringer with exile, not any problem at all