Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

how to avoid duel?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by hacgumyu, Apr 4, 2008.

1. hacgumyu

hacgumyu Diabloii.Net Member

how to avoid duel?

I am purely a PvM player that started playing a month ago... last night I joined a game with many low level players. then a jerk with his lvl 90 paladin came in and go hostile to everyone while we are in diablo place, killed everyone and steal some gold and ears.

that was so intolerable for PvM players and unfair for lower level player have no defense at all. Is there a way to prevent this?

thanks alot

2. Copilot

Copilot Diabloii.Net Member

Re: how to avoid duel?

Nope, he is a pker, I haven't had anyone try and pk me in months so you were just unlucky.

3. SmittySixTen

SmittySixTen Diabloii.Net Member

You could always put level restrictions on your game.

4. Mursilis

Mursilis Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not sure if that works putting level restrictions on a game that you yourself don't meet.

Best way to avoid them is to TP out of where you are and wait in town. Normally PKers leave after a few minutes if they have no targets. If they are persistant simply whisper your group a new game name and password protect it this time. Then continue in the new game.

5. Artanis

Artanis Diabloii.Net Member

Actually, you can, because the option is no longer "level restriction", but rather "character difference". Meaning that if you're level 50 and you set the difference to 15 levels, those who are below level 35 and over level 65 won't be able to join. It's certainly not a perfect solution, but other than exiting the game or waiting until the PKer leaves, there's simply nothing more you can do, unfortunately.

I'm sorry, hacgumyu...it sucks. I know. It's embarrassingly and inexcusably unfair game design by Blizzard, but it's not likely to ever change. :cry:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  6. RequiemDeath

RequiemDeath Diabloii.Net Member

Easy solution... Play alone, or play with friends in a password protected game...

*Requiem_Death

7. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman Diabloii.Net Member

Whisp the other party members a passworded gamename, and go quest there safely :thumbsup: !

8. MyDireLife

MyDireLife Diabloii.Net Member

The only way to put lvl restricts on is if you make the game, or the game that you join, that person put lvl restricts on. But most of the time, your probably trying to join a game with the name "Diablo Runs" or something like that.

What i usaully do, especially becuase i lld alot, and high lvls always come in and host me, the lvl 30, i just tell them that they need to remake there character becuase its taking them way to long to kill a low lvl, after a little bit of that, from the safety of the town, they usaully just end up leaving. Becuase they can only kill the lvl 30's chillin in town...

9. promatolya

promatolya Diabloii.Net Member

play singleplayer .. :p

but the password wisper thingy is probably most efficient for that matter

10. Bob The Barbarian

Bob The Barbarian Diabloii.Net Member

It's a shame that an otherwise good game has to be ruined by a few jerks who contantly need their egos massaged. But it's a fact of life. At least Diablo 2 is not as bad as the basic Diablo was ... with town killers running around (only protection was to hit the modem switch).

Couple of things to note:

1) a player has to be in town to go hostile w/ you. Once he does that, he cannot use your portal to reach you.

2) BUT !!! He could go to your location as a friendly, make his own portal to the area, return to town, go hostile, then come back thru his portal to do you dirt.

3) Also, if you leave a portal open, your location is given (otherwise, looking at the "player screen" tab will not reveal where you are). Close TPs if you are worried about someone coming along and using the info to hunt you down.

4) In "run specific" games such as a Chaos Run, it doesn't take much for a PKer to find you since the name of the game gives it away. All he has to do is hunt down your location based on the time you've been in the game.

Not much to add to what the others have already said. If you make the game and are playing with friends, always password it. This also keeps out the spam bots. If you make the game, you can set the max level difference for player to enter the game, however, if you're being rushed, this is counter-productive since the rushing player is very likely to be at a much higher level than you are. Password the game.

You can also limit the number of player allowed in a game (if you make the game). So if it's a private game between you and three of your friends, set the players at "4". I would still password the game since if someone leaves the game (or is dropped for any reason), there is now an opening for a PKer to get in. Most won't be this persistant unless they have a personal hard-on just for you. Password the game! (see any trend here? <*grin*>)

If all fails and a PKer gets in, leave the game area and wait him out in town. He'll leave after a bit when no one is there to kill. You can pass the time by taunting him (LOL). Of course, he may screw up your game by going out and killing everything and completing the quests. But what the hell, just make a new game then (passworded this time).