Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How Strong Can a Necro Be?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by hotrodder13, Mar 6, 2004.

1. hotrodder13

hotrodder13 IncGamers Member

How Strong Can a Necro Be?

I was wondering, with max skeles and max skele mastery will they stand up to the monsters in Hell Act 5? Will they deal enough damage to kill the Hell monsters? Also wut is better, the skele mage or skele regular? If the skeles cant hold up in Hell should I use a golem over skeles?

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Skellies are very viable. Let me direct you to this guide for all your questions.

3. Cerebron

Cerebron IncGamers Member

I'm afraid that you are still viewing Necromancers as in v1.09.

Let me tell you ALL has been changed. Here are a couple of things that you should be updated with:

- Skeletons are becoming really tough. With Max Skeleton and Mastery, they can survive Hell Act 5 with no Problem at all. They do amazing damage with a Might Merc. And I can asssure you that Skeletons >> Mages. Nobody's going to disagree with me on that.

- Golems are only backups in v1.10. People use only Glay Golem these days.

- Mages are weaker than Skeletons. I have 7 Mages and they die pretty quickly in Hell level. Do not use Mages unless you max the skill and know how to play with them.

4. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

lvl 40 skellied and mastery, their damage will be about 1000.

and now, i might be wrong. i am not sure if there is a catch wich makes it less effective, but i would expect a might merc to add 200% making it 3000 damage.
    Now you cast amp damage, doubling that 3000 damage to 6000.

so you have an army of skelletons each dealing about the same damage as a barb with immortal kings set and concentrate.

If i am wrong somewhere, please tell me :)

5. Mad Mantis

There is a catch. The damage the skeletons do is upped by there own enhanced damage %. At skill level 40 this is +259%. The Might aura works in conjunction with that inherent %. So if you have a level 98 Merc, who adds +230% the total percentage added to Skellie base damage is +489%.

If we take the example of 1000 damage and the +489% this would actually be 1700 instead of 3300.

6. Cerebron

Cerebron IncGamers Member

One guy said my skeleton did more damage than he did. Or you can say he sucks. Anyway, I like my Necro so much.

7. Roach

Roach IncGamers Member

Not quite, I'm running 46 Mastery 45 Skeletons and they only do 850 max so a 40/40 isn't going to be doing 1k anytime soon. Although at my current level they do have 1.3k life.

8. hotrodder13

whoa, so after lvl 20 the affects still increase on the skele and skele mastery? I thought lvl 20 was a max out, o well havent played in a while. :scratch: So i would want 40 into both mastery and raise skele? Woud I want a back up like CE or Posion Dagger?

9. Roach

Roach IncGamers Member

CE has its good and bad points, if your army is already up then go ahead and blow up all the corpses, but if you are in the process to getting an army up then it may hurt you more then it would help.

PE on the other hand requires you to be using a dagger to get the poison damage and get very close to the attacker. Both are negatives in my eyes.

Its up to you, maybe Teeth(or spear or spirit) + Marrow walks maybe a better fit who knows.

10. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

lol you can place 'only' 20 points into each, but you should let +skills do the rest ;)

11. hotrodder13

I think that you would need to max Skeleton Mastery and Raise Skeleton. But wut about physical immunes, do i need sum into Skeleton Mage? Should I max Summon Resistance? I think this would help increase the life of my skeletons. Also is Revive any good in later difficulties? thanks for the help ... :worship:

12. hotrodder13

one more thing, I hear Corpse Expolsion at lvl 20 or so can cover the entire screen. Since its a percantage (60%-100% damage) that could do some damage to the cows and any other area filed with monsters. Wuts the downfall? One or two corpses cant hurt you...

13. Roach

Roach IncGamers Member

CE does 60-100% of a 1 player game, when you start playing with 8 players the amount of life the monsters have make it so 1-2 corpses will not cut it. Instead you will need to blow up 5-10 monsters which could be the entire group depending on how large they started out in the first place.

Physical immunes can mostly be removed with amp damage, mages are just fun to give you more minions in my opinion. In dueling games I use them against telerunners because they get them with ranged attacks so I don't always need to land right on top of them. They have their uses but most will situations will not require them.

14. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

I have tried using amp on physical imunes, but it did not seem to work so. All i hope for with phys imunes is that there are enough corpses around to bring him down with CE.

15. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Amplify Damage will remove immunity from all normal PIs. Only a few Uniques and Super Uniques with high physical resistance and spawn with the Stone Skin Mod are unbreakable by Amp Damage. Also Possessed Champion can't be cursed and so if it is already PI it stays that way and finally a Ghostly Champion gets +50% to physical resists so it could be unbreakable if the base monster has a very high initial resistance.

All those types are pretty uncommon so it would be fair to say that Amp Damage breaks more than 95% of the PIs a necro meets. In fact, Decrepify can break nearly all PIs as well.

16. hotrodder13

17. Mad Mantis

It is just your standard Skellimancer with CE.

18. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

That guide is based on 1.09 and is out of date now. Many monsters in Hell have much higher hitpoints than 2000 in 1.10 ... e.g. Zombies on the Blood Moor have 3236 to 6168 on the Ladder. Hell Bovines are 9442 to 15449. These base hitpoints are increased by 50% for each extra player in the game so an 8 player game would have 450% of these values.

The combination of minions as in skellies and CE is probably the most basic form of Necro people build nowadays since it does not require anything special in the way of equipment and can still beat Hell difficulty. The build is also fairly good at magic finding.

19. hotrodder13

I dont want the basic necro that everyone has and is easy to succeed with. I want a necro that is different than most other builds out there and is still strong. Wut do guys think isnt common?

20. Mad Mantis

Meleemancer, LoM and Dark Ranger. Somewhat more common is the Daggermancer.