Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How should I progress

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ducko, May 13, 2016.

1. ducko

ducko IncGamers Member

So I have a level 78 blizz sorc that just completed nightmare at p8. Her gears are currently fairly average:

Gull
    4ptopaz armour
    Rhyme
    Tarnhelm
    Vidala ammy
    Vidala boots
    2 x nagel
    Up'd goldwrap
    Chance

Rare ed/LL lance
    Duriel shell
    Tal helm

My purpose for this sorc is just to MF items for my future characters. I'm not sure what I should be doing now however.

1) Do NM meph, diablo or Baal runs? Does p1 or p8 matter? Basically MF at nm first to find more basic gears?
    2) progress and try to complete hell?
    3) progress to certain part of hell, and run that area?

This will be my first ever hell character in single player. I heard that its unlikely that I can run p8 anymore, so I'd likely drop to p1 or maybe p3?

2. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Congratulations on making it this far! You will want to drop to /p1 to progress through Hell. If I were you, I'd run NM Mephisto until I couldn't stand it any longer, then push through to Hell Andariel. You could always run the Pit in Hell Lower Tamoe Highlands, but there will be cold immunes. I've had good luck running Andariel at /p3 - if you can lure her over to the lower right side (by the stack of crates where the devilkin always spawns), you can drop a Blizzard on her and teleport back through the wall into the entry room. The blizzard will continue to hit her as she scratches at the wall wondering where you went. Wait a few seconds and tele back in, lather rinse and repeat. The Ancient Tunnels in Hell Act 2 Lost City will be a great place once you get there, as it's a level 85 area with no cold immunes. (Aside from a random boss / champion.) It can drop from any item class in the game, so with patience you can get very good gear there.

Good luck!

3. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Is she pure Blizz? Or does she have a secondary skill to deal with immunes?

Either way, what I would personally do is gear up at NM Meph for a bit, to try to get some more staples. You could also do NM Baal or Pindle runs as well for XP and hopefully some drops.

Once you get sick of that or reach the mid-80s, you're going to want to head to the Ancient Tunnels (In the Lost City) of A2 in hell. Dial it down to /p1 and quest/tele through until you get there. Then run AT until you're sick of it. There are no Cold Immunes in there, and its an A85 area, so it not only gives great XP, but you can find tons of great items in there. You can easily level up to 94/95 without too much worry there, and you'll find some good stuff along the way.

At any point, once you're strong enough and have decent gear, you'll want to stop by Hell Meph as well to round out any gear you're lacking on.

That will be more than enough to gear you up for Hell, and you can take it from there. :)

4. ducko

ducko IncGamers Member

Yea pure sorc. Alright I'll stick to nm first since I have a nice Baal and meph map!

Also is diablo not worth the time and effort?

5. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

you run MN Meph only for gear for hell. running nm diablo is not worth the time invested

thefranklin likes this.
  6. ducko

ducko IncGamers Member

Any gear I should be praying for to upgrade my current? I found a vipermagi, so I guess I'll use it in hell. What else before I move on? Also any recommended weapon for merc? 41-177 damage lance, feels like i can find better :)

7. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

If you're running with Runeword Mod, then an Insight polearm is the easiest way to get a good merc weapon. Without runeword mod, Honor should be pretty easy to make (think you can get 5 socket weapons in NM). But merc weapon shouldn't really matter with Meph runs. That's another reason Insight would be nice

8. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Yes, definitely Insight. For Hell Meph runs, a source of Slow also helps a lot. So a Kelpie Snare would be very good.

Good luck.

9. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

It's a bit premature, but when I run hell Baal with my blizz sorc, I keep a Bonehew on switch. (With two hel runes in it to reduce the strength requirement.) It has charges of corpse explosion, which really helps with the cold immune mages in the second wave of his minions, and also helps to poke away at Lister when he spawns cold immune.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

10. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

I wouldn't waste time on NM meph. Killing Hell Meph will be just as easy as NM Meph with a lot higher payout. f you cant get there, upgrade your merc weapon at Hell Andy.

Teleporting through Act 1/2/3 won't be too hard, take it slow and use lots of town portals. Possibly upgrade your merc weapon so he can handle himself a bit better.

11. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Items that drop with sockets in Nightmare are hard locked at 4 sockets. Depending on item level and base item white items can get more sockets when cube socketed or taken to Larzuk, though.

If I ran NM Meph at all, it would only be until I got an Oculus and/or Lidless Wall. Personally the last time I restarted I didn't even bother with Hell Meph, and I wouldn't if I started again - aiming for Ancient Tunnels right off - but if just finding some gear for other chars is your goal then Hell Meph will work nicely.

NM Diablo is not a target worth running, NM Baal is only worth running for experience, and you're already high enough level to make him a bad target for that.

If you aren't comfortable taking the character into Hell, you can certainly run NM Meph for some upgrades (the aforementioned Oculus and Lidless Wall, as well as a weapon upgrade for the merc, of which Hone Sundan and Kelpie Snare are the best options NM Meph will drop [socket the Sundan with an Amn and 2x Shael; don't worry about using a socket quest on the Kelpie] but the drops from NM Meph are so limited that I wouldn't want to stay more than 50-100 runs, if that long.

p1 is where you want to be almost always for magic finding. If you can kill fast enough, higher settings can be more efficient on Act Bosses, but that's not where your gear is now.

When you're ready to move on to Hell, do so at p1 and understand that what you're doing is trying to get to your run target quickly. Make sure you have at least 63% faster cast rate on your gear, with 105% being preferred if you can hit it. Bypass what you can't kill; ignore the Pits and the Countess's tower as both include dangerous cold immune monsters. Skip the Den of Evil if Corpsefire's pack is too much trouble since you can come back later when the merc has better gear. When you get to the Ancient Tunnels you can choose to stay indefinitely - all set and unique items in the game not tied to a specific monster or area can drop there, - level for a little while before pressing onward or just continue on to Meph or wherever you choose. Once you get to your intended target, you can adjust your gear for running if you have the option.

As for gear upgrades: since you aren't using the runeword mod Oculus is where you want to be for a weapon until you can make a Heart of the Oak or find a Death's Fathom. Mara's Kaleidoscope or Tal's amulet would both be great improvements, but each is a rare find. The Skin of the Vipermagi is a great armor, you're in luck to have it; it's end-game worthy. Lidless Wall is the best shield without Spirit. Tarnhelm is great until you find a Harlequin Crest. Eventually you'll want to find War Traveler boots, but they also are not too common. For merc weapon's, the aforementioned Kelpie Snare and Hone Sundan are strong options, as is Honor in a powerful base, like Brak mentioned, or a Reaper's Toll, though you'll need to find that one in Hell. There are other options which can fill in fine, but those are the stand out choices.

12. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

Do people actually run NM methisto for Lidless Wall? Isn't a spirit monarch just like..... better in every way? Almost? .... Other than being a garbage shield to get max block in.

Note: I'm not saying to not run NM meth. Personally, I run NM baal instead (because I like the billions of XP I get from lister and friends, and am scared of a fluke-death from a stygian doll in the durance otw to meth). But running nm baal or methisto is a good way to gear up before taking on hell.

But lidless wall? Am I missing something? I feel like I've junked it repeatedly.

I guess lidless wall has a lot of fhr. Is that a lot more useful than I've been giving it credit for or something? I mean, i like it. But presently I'd grab the extra skill level over it. And even without that, all the resists on spirit... I'd never pass that up.

... NM Meth can drop the Herald of Zakarum though, can't he? (I think? Not sure, I never got one off him) And other really nice stuff. So, again, I'm not saying to /not/ run him.

Anyways, congrats on getting to hell. I don't think I have much advice that hasn't been given... I've never done a blizzard sorceress, so I'll let the experts hand out tips.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  13. ducko

ducko IncGamers Member

Thanks for the replies. Really appreciate it. I am running rwm btw. Looks like I may need to respec if I were to use spirit. 156 strength for a monarch if I'm not wrong, and I only have 90!

14. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

I've used spirit monarchs on (almost) all of my sorceresses.

I'd (personally) advise you to not take the "all or nothing" block mentality with a monarch. It has a pretty lousy requirement.... and 50% block (or whatever) is a lot better than 0% block, but way easier to attain than 75%. 75% is still doable if you really want. Pick your poison, I guess. But don't completely rule out the idea of a "middle of the road" approach.

The 156 Str is a PAIN, no doubt. But imo it's still definitely worth it. And yeah, if you're running RWM insight is definitely a solid merc polearm (often the best) absent any of the /way/ harder to get rune words (insight, etc). It will give you (almost) unlimited teleport/casting MP, and will give him a fairly respectable damage boost as well (it won't compare to a top end crushing blow set up or anything, but it's still legit).

Non-Insight beat-sticks of note include anything with good crushing blow, Reaper's toll (always a classic), or anything with good slow on hit if that's your style (kelpie snare, etc). ... ... /if/ you think you have enough crushing blow elsewhere, from Guillaume's or whatever, don't forget life leach (Lance of Yaggai, etc). A living merc always beats a dead merc doing that could do good damage. But if he's staying alive, don't sweat keeping him 100% in the green.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  15. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

I had assumed because you were level 78 and not using Spirit sword or Inisght on the merc that you were playing Vanilla. Make each and you're capable of doing whatever you want in Hell, including completing the game, with what you currently have available.

16. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

Spirit and Insight are both great, and yeah - you can complete the game with them.

But caution. Don't assume you /will/ complete the game if you have both and are HC. That's inviting disaster. They're not /that/ great. Stay frosty, 24/7.

17. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

There's some good advice already.

But I would just push it to Hell Act 2 and Ancient Tunnels, as fast as possible. All you have to do is basically tele and kill Andariel between :p

That can be done with very poor gear. And AT can be run with like almost naked blizz sorc. Get some lightning res maybe and you're good to go. Then just focus on upgrading your merc and your MF.

Hell Meph is a good target if you want to gear some of your other chars fast. AT is better overall simply because it can drop all the set/uniques in the game.

And as your purpose was just to MF gear for other chars, by the time you would probably also like to quest until Act 3 and Lower Kurast. The super chests there are great source for HRs up to Ber, and drop a lot of usable charms/jewels/etc. especially with the highest players setting.

18. ducko

ducko IncGamers Member

Is it normal for Ancient Tunnels to hardly drop any uniques? It's kinda demoralising to only see Rares :( I'm suppose to just kill the magic bosses right?

Maybe I'll just head to Meph. At least the superbosses drop Uniques/Rares often, so I don't get discouraged XD

19. ducko

ducko IncGamers Member

Anyway to recover my stash in ATMA? Accidentally saved my token ~_~ Seemed like all my stuff found are gone ~_~

Just read that there may be backups. .org stuff, can't find it though. Any idea why my character can't be seen from my "Save" folder too? Could see my old Zealot though. For example, I can't find Chill.d2s in my folder, even though I can load it in game (or through ATMA).

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  20. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

If you want many S/U, Hell Meph definitely is the target you want. If you want less S/U, but a chance at every single one of them, you want to be in AT.