Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How permanent is D2?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JihadJesus, Jun 7, 2005.

1. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

How permanent is D2?

We all enjoy this game, but how lasting of an impact do you really think will come from it? I started wondering just how important this game is to some people when I saw this Honor runeword posted on the dii.net main page. Tatoos (at least to me) represent something of permanent importance, and I'd never thought that D2 might qualify. I don't know if anyone here would go so far as to tattoo the symbols on their body, but what do you think the place of D2 will be over the years? Forgotten, remembered, revered, or a daily presense? For my part, I'm betting on nothing more than fond memories...

2. Kool69

Kool69 IncGamers Member

:eek: What you didn't know it is like the SAT to get into Heaven?!

3. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Final Fantasy 6 is the best game ever. Yet I hold a copy of it in my hands, right now, and I'm not playing it.

Instead, I'm talking to other people about Diablo 2.

Games come and go, it's the people that really matter.

-GG

4. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

wow that would be something that I would NEVER DO under any circumstance, i think that that tat is pathetic, and still kinda cool. I would never deface my body in that fashion... but he did make a good choice of rune word honor is kinda tight.

5. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

Video games are about hedonistic fun and few present the replayability and pure fun that the Diablo series does. Coupled with a community of friendly and knowledgable players that gives it a lasting appeal. I don't know about you guys but I'll probably still be playing it for years to come especially considering I don't play frequently enough to experience everything it has to offer.

As to that tattoo - a gigantic mistake. That guy earns a few geek points and that's about it. Tattoos that don't hold personal meaning are generally regretted in due time. I would file this under that category.

6. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

will D2 have the cultural staying power of Pong? Pac-Man? Space Invaders? Doom? Final Fantasy? No. It doesn't have that kind of name recognition now even when other games are known by name at least outside of the gaming community (ask a random adult if they have heard of any of thse games then ask about D2 to see my point)

Within the gaming world, D2 will long be remembered as a classic of it's genre and will probably have online groups devoted to it and to each other for years to come.

what could propel Diablo from "unknown outside of gaming circles" to "name recognition among the general public" would be a movie and/or cartoon TV series. Basically, that's what happened with the X-Men. In the early 90's, it was the most popular comic book by far among comic fans but outside of that narrow group, it lacked the name recognition and cultural icon status afford to Superman, Spiderman, Batman & the Fantastic Four. Then came a cartoon series to prime the pump and get the name out there and prepare the world for the movies. People like my parents now know who X-Men are (or at least don't immediately think of Renee Richards upon hearing the word) (apologies to people under 30 who don't get that reference)

7. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Well, to me, that HONOR tat means whatever it means to him ... not to us. We can judge and have our opinions which is fine ... but ultimately it's his to deal with.

Besides ... i'd rather have BEAST on my forearm ... and Breath of the Dying (BoTD) on my main appendage. In smaller font of course. It would be better if my appendage were ethereal though ...

8. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

That guy got an EL tattooed on his arm!!! What a nubby.

9. Ashmer Amadeus

Ashmer Amadeus IncGamers Member

@Goober If FFVI is your favorite game, why is your avatar the fighter from FF1? Don't get me wrong, 1 is my second favorite, behind FFIV.

As far as tattoos go, I don't have a problem with them. I've got one in fact. Its on my right deltiod, a guardian angel. "Servo" is scripted underneath (Latin for guardian, or to watch and protect). I'm debating getting one on my other arm when my daughter is born. Despite having a tattoo, and being a gamer, I would never mix the two. The closest I would ever come to that is having the orb from FF1 painted on my compter case. I'm trying to find that picture to be my backround.

As far as where will Diablo II stand in the long term? I will always have a place for it in my heart. A co-worker showed me a special edition GameBoy Advance SP, looked like an 8-bit nintendo controller. I have an appreciation for that having played a lot of nintendo when I was a kid. I wouldn't mind owning one if I could find it, but life will go on if I don't. I imagine that even years from now I will still go back to D2, though not as often as I do now, and I play less now then I did a few years ago. Diablo II is a great game and will always such. And like all games of this caliber the will be gone back to from time to time, though I have little doubt the popularity of D2 has declined and will continue to do so as time goes on.

10. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Has it occured to anyone that he just had it painted on to get on the picture page of d2.net?

11. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

If you look closely at the El symbol you can see it's still red and swollen - a telltale sign of a fresh tattoo.

12. Johney

Johney IncGamers Member

I think D2 will be as permanent as a game can be, for me anyway. I'm not a big gamer (only d2 or some nintendo when i'm drunk) so games don't matter very much for me.

I think few things will be permanent in my life, mainly family and music. As for tatoos, i'd never get a game related tatoo, a music related one on the other hand is a different story.

13. geep

geep IncGamers Member

Uhm I dont think I would go that far just over a game, I mean i've been playing diablo II for almost 5 years (holy @#[email protected]). It's going to be remembered as memories of staying up late at night to play and waking up early in the morning to play. Or atleast thats why I did during summer (was such a nerd). Getting something tatoo'd on you to remember Diablo II? Kinda pushing it there, I wouldnt know if that was real anyways. I've played many other games too such as Lineage II, WoW, Guild war's, counter-strike and they have all kind of faded in and out, diablo had its moments but I always come back to it. It's one of a kind there's nothing else that I have played that is comparable to diablo. Diablo will always be out there I think like 5 years from now theres still going to be a group of SPers. Well thats my input. :thumbsup:
    Geep

14. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

I think it's pretty permanent. True, I replay other old games as well but not as often as D2. They just don't allow for the same variabilty in builds and stuff. I know my 37 chars and the HC grail are gonna keep me busy for another year or so. :D

Needless to say, though, that I'd never tatoo anything like that on my body...

15. Bunny_Usagi

Bunny_Usagi Banned

Without D2 I wouldn't have met you fine people so I think that it is perminant for me! I met a lot of people through this game and I wouldn't take any of it back!

16. Llathias

Llathias Banned

ROFL! :lol:

17. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Also the small black spots in the Sol rune that are dry blood. Definately a real tattoo.

If I got anything tattooed on me from Diablo II, it'd be one of those *****in' images from one of the Manuals that comes with the game.

18. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

Doesn't the runes have some sort of meaning in real life aswell? I think I have read somewhere that they have as in El actually means electricity jaddajadda. Would be cool to have a ZOD rune on your arm though. Indestructible. :cool:

19. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Meh. Zod is boring.

Lo, Ohm, and Ko have some nice looks to them. Zod is just a little squiggle with some dots.

20. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I have 'beast' tatoo on my 3rd leg, thats thats not D2 related. :lol:
    Anyway, i wouldnt go about putting runewords in me, unless it give his arm uber powers, then i'd consider it. Also, was it legit? Did he have the runes for it in the first place? wouldnt want to dupe them would we?