Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How perfect, a perfect map can be?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by NacRuno, Nov 10, 2006.

1. NacRuno

NacRuno IncGamers Site Pal

How perfect, a perfect map can be?

I had this question after reading 'What do you do after a mat / pat?' thread. Some people said that they choose a mf location for the char and reset the maps until they get a perfect map and than run it from time to time.,

My question is how perfect is your maps? a screenshot is worth more than words for this i guess. I ask this because sometimes i think i have a good map which i don't risk to lose by re-rolling. But if you are after constant mf runs, there is a huge difference between a good map and a perfect one.

This question involves every place you run for mf and try to get a good map, but the most important ones are:

MEPHISTO
    countess
    worldstone chambers
    pindleskin (just kidding :tongue:)

2. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

well. I had the perfect mephisto running map for my MF sorc. The waypoint was directly above the entrance to level 3. One teleport and left click on the stairs. Then I clicked on the nightmare instead of hell and lost it. never found one half as good since.

3. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

Andy level 2
    [​IMG]
    Andy level 3
    [​IMG]
    Meph
    [​IMG]
    Ancient Tunnels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    WSK level 2
    [​IMG]
    WSK level 3
    [​IMG]

This is with my blizz sorc i think it's very good :grin:

4. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

I had a fairly good one, but something funny happened. [Funny, in a 'oh, damn' sense.] This was my blizz sorc as well!

Meph - Ok, fairly quick, but nothing special. I'd say it was good, but worth a reroll on it's own.
    Andy - Again, fairly quick but nothing special. I'd say it was good, but worth a reroll on it's own.
    Ancient Tunnels - 1 teleport away
    WSK 2&3 - Take a look. WSK2 and WSK3 :grin:

With decent maps for all the major runs, I decided to keep it. Unfortunately, when I went to run Baal again, my WSK maps disappeared and I had a new roll. It wasn't bad, but no special charmer, so I rerolled for a good Andy map.
    (It may have been another character, but I remember doing tele runs with that same map, and I only have 1 sorc. I have no idea how/why it disappeared, but :( I lost a good map.)

EDIT: Nope. From that picture, it is my sorc. And all other maps were the same (tunnels was still 1 teleport away, etc.,) so I didn't accidently change difficulties. Can you delete a certain map?
    :reallyconfused at losing Baal map, but no others:

5. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

Aman, that might be the best combination of maps I've ever seen. Zowie.

6. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

The countess map is pretty bad but i don't mind bad maps for that as long as i know where im going.

I rarely mf baal though am going to try more , i will edit the tunnel map later to show where most of the boss packs spawn.

7. Denton

Denton IncGamers Member

Aman, you have a high rune equivalent right there. I hate you. :heart:

8. Pucho

Pucho Banned

I understand if you don't wan't to MP with that sorc, Aman. Ever

9. NacRuno

NacRuno IncGamers Site Pal

@sman: Those are very lucky map rolls for a single char. Just the difference between a good and perfect map i was talking about. Lucky hunts to you with those :thumbsup:

There is a certain bug i guess that does that, happened to me ones while still in the sewers, the map i opened disapperred and only the places i visit after that became visible. It was a bit funny seeing me on the map without seeing an entrence to sewers. After a few minutes of playing it turned back to normal though. And at the beginning my map didn't change just the displayed went crazy so it might be different than your case :scratch:

10. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

The thing is i wasn't rolling for a perfect setup like this , i was looking for a tunnel map that worked for me and then over time found out that my other mf places were also great.

11. Tupsi

Tupsi IncGamers Member

Crazy set of maps Aman :prop:
    My map sets suck. I have 3 Sorceresses, one to run Countess (Ancient tunnels is very close to wp but I never run it), one for 2-tele-Meph (Ethereal is the one, she's not able to run anything else so it's ok her to be stuck) and finally Grim, who is not stuck with nice maps because I want to keep her that way. She runs whatever she wants with just decent maps, and boy I love the freedom!

12. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

It would be great if someone would come up with an objective way to score a map for "greatness". Some recommended "teleports to" as a score, going for low of course. Personally, I think that there are better methods of scoring because much of the time spent getting to your goal isn't wasted. Boss packs in WSK for instance are not a waste of effort. Skipping over these guys just to shave a minute off your Baal run is not good use of your time for MF... for getting into the high 90's it's probably a waste.

The runs I would consider worth scoring are:

Andy
    Meph
    Baal
    Countess
    and one of either pits or tunnels... having both is kind of pointless.

There are other common runs, and by no means should they be discounted, but these are the ones I would count. If LK has two sparklies, you might give yourself a bonus of -3 points or something.

13. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

aman you need to stop hacking maps

14. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

My hammerdin's current Baal running map, not perfect, but pretty speedy;

WSK 2
    WSK 3

15. LacertaCK

LacertaCK IncGamers Member

I knew this guy, who used to have lunch with this girl, who's cousin's best friend once had a map where he went through the portal right into Baal's chamber. :liar:

Ok, really, I used to have a map that was both one teleport for WSK2 and Meph. Unfortunately, it was a lousy map for WSK3. I still used it for a while. It was for my necro, so it got kind of expensive repairing the charges, but not terrible.

16. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

tupsi has some nice Countess maps ... mine's just a couple of tele's slower but it's still pretty good. I have a Baal map with my necro that's similar to aman's.

If you take the time you will roll a nice map. It just takes time a little bit of luck.

17. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

Here's my speedy Baal map.

And a nice Meph map, which had chests/racks on the way IIRC.

And a funny Duriel map, not that it matters.

Too bad all these characters are wacky tournament builds, inappropriate for boss runs. If I ever do boss runs I'll need to start fresh.

18. MaliusArcus

MaliusArcus IncGamers Member

When I first started running hell mephy I had a great map for a sorc, sadly I was a fishy and being that I had never done ANY MF at that point (meaning my MF never went over 50ish, and if I ran stuff it was for XP) but the WP had one wall in durance 2 between the WP and the stairs, sadly I had to run around the entire map to get to the stairs... if only I had my puzzler back then. I have a great WSK mapset that ill get some pictures of sooner or later on my necro now, WSK2 and 3 are both loops, 2 has a couple of side rooms where packs spawn, WSK has a couple of rooms too but rarely does anything of note spawn in them. I can hit every boss pack before throne room without stepping in the same place twice, throne room is always the same and I hated it until I got some teleport.

But you cant rate maps for all classes, and many areas are different. personally I would love a map with the stairs right next to eachother in a big room and have 6-10 rooms off that that room with boss packs in them and closed doors on them. but I dont think thats possible.

But to illustrate my point, WSK with a fishymancer you would want to run the whole place, but a LF/CS zon you are gonna get LIs a lot and that will slow you down, so you would want a map where you can get to the stairs quick if need be. Pits are another example, teleports dont help a lot in there, you will miss most of the boss packs (unless you have ran the map 100000 times and have boss packs memorized).

Point is different places are ran in such different ways that rating maps with one rating scale is impossible, you would have to break down every MF build, and every area. That is quite a few rating systems you would have to come up with, that is before ever factoring in playstyle and amount of MF. If you had 50 MF you are much better off TPing to Baal than running the whole place... if you had 750 MF (assuming you dont hurt your run speed) you are much better off running the whole map before moving on.