Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How not to use strategy...

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by MoUsE_WiZ, Mar 15, 2004.

1. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

How not to use strategy...

Before reading this, you should know that it's not important that you do. Anyone with half a clue should know not to leave NM until they are good and ready, and I was well aware of this fact myself and just chose to ignore it. Second I am defining strategy as the way I dealt with monsters, and not as my overall approach to the game. If defined as the overall approach to the game this would be an example of a bad strategy, rather than an example of using strategy wrongly.
    I recently started an orb sorc for MFing from scratch...at 60 after soloing NM ancients I decided I wanted my skill point from the hell den of evil. I figured I'd be safe enough, because what's a zombie gonna do, lull me to sleep and then eat my sorc's brain?
    So I go and solo baal just fine, knowing my LR and FR and going to be negative in hell, but again, I just want there for the den quest, then back to NM.
    Cruising along, my merc's dropping all the silly cold immune zombies in the blood moor just fine, when I get to the den all the zombies start coming in packs of 2-3, and they seem to enjoy stunning my merc and killing him instead. So I reckon, hey, 20 TK, 15 Warmth, 45% ES, 75% block, I can tank the zombies for my merc, and I started doing just that. Right up until Corpsefire showed up.
    Mr. 00b4r zombie decided he'd spawn fanat and lightning enchanted to go with his spectral hit. I was unable to tank that thanks to the -30 LR, combined with only 650 life and ES still kind of low, although the ES doesn't drain my mana at all with nightsmoke and warmth.
    I then spent 20 minutes standing around a corner luring the zombies out one at a time away from Corpsefire by teleporting, merc runs up to one, teleport back, merc runs up and starts pulling the one away from the pack, then teleporting in one spot every 3 seconds to keep the merc coming back to me then running up to the zombie luring him further away and around the corner.
    Finally when all the zombies were gone except for Corpsefire I loaded 3 extra juves onto my belt (usually I only have 3 on my unupgraded nightsmoke) and set about tanking Corpsefire, having to juv after every hit, as he knocked me down to a bit under half with every connection. Fortunately, being a zombie, and me having 75% block, those connections didn't come very often.
    Well, after taking about 40 minutes to clear the Den of Evil I finally obtained my skill point, as well as moving from 61-62. Now I can go back to NM and level up to 75 or so there.
    Why is this an example on how not to use strategy? It's because in 40 minutes I could have been doing Baal runs, or even soloing around NM, and gained much more than just 2 skill points, then gone to hell with a better merc and not have had to spend all that effort to do the first quest of the difficulty.

2. Maximus

Maximus IncGamers Member

After read your post I realized I do similar things at times.

The KEY though is that YOU decide how you want to PLAY this game. As long as you enjoyed the challenge (or bad lvling strategy) is really what IT is about. Whatever IT is.

Sounds like a I'm starting a diatribe so I'll digress. Heck you're still alive. Thought the ending was going to be the sounding of the death-cry :D.

/max

3. BattleCookie

BattleCookie IncGamers Member

I did similar things in my d2 career. But i dont think this is "bad strategy". Im sure you felt good after you got your quest reward for all that work. And im sure it was some fun, right? If you answered yes now, it was the right thing to do. So the game had a little challenge for you. Its not funny to lvl up into the high 70s in nm, and then rush trough hell without any problems. Where is the fun about that? There needs to be a challenge to make this game worth playing.

Just my 2 cent
    BC

edit: typo

4. Insomniak

Insomniak IncGamers Member

It's true that what you did was not 'optimum' (whatever that is), but like the other guys said, you took on and beat a tough challenge - as long as you enjoyed it (or at least got a sense of satisfaction) that's all that matters :)

Insom.

5. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

i watch people die doing similar things like this almost every day! Take that lvl 60 Sorc and start MFin NM runs and die. Sure they do well, but one slip is death, the same as in the den for you.

The key to your deal here is you did it right. There is nothign wrong with going againts odds with bad rez and low life but playing it right is the only way to make it.

Just to re-enforce your final thoughts for future reference, I think you could of done at least 4-5 solo or big game Baals in 40 mins and gotten 3-5 lvls pretty easy! Hell even two long "Baalwalks" would of been better exp and stat return!

6. Lu The Confused

Lu The Confused IncGamers Member

no, no, no, no!

immediately you must delete that character and restart!
    you did it out of order and now must try again!
    no going back to NM wuss!!!!

heh

latah,
    lu

7. CoWa-Avatar

CoWa-Avatar IncGamers Member

well it is good to plan, but you should know when your ready