How much of your life have you lost to message boards? ifr

Yossarian

Diabloii.Net Member
How much of your life have you lost to message boards?

Here is my suggested formula.

Take your total post count and multipy it by 2. 2 will represent an average number of minutes spent per post. Yes many are faster but some take much longer especially link hunters. Seem fair?

Now take that total and divide it by 60 (number of minutes in an hour).

Then take that an divide it by 24 (hours in a day).

This should give you an estimate as to how much time of your life you've lost.

Sample

10000 (posts) x2=20000
20000/60=333.33
333.33/24=13.8

So if you've made 10000 post on a sight you've lost nearly 14 straight days of your life. Kinda puts huge post counts into a scary perspective doesn't it.

BTW this formula is completely ignoring that you read posts as well. Or that many of you post on other boards too :shocked:

Lost 1.4 days since 2003.

MapleBarb

Diabloii.Net Member
Here is my suggested formula.

Take your total post count and multipy it by 2. 2 will represent an average number of minutes spent per post. Yes many are faster but some take much longer especially link hunters. Seem fair?

Now take that total and divide it by 60 (number of minutes in an hour).

Then take that an divide it by 24 (hours in a day).

This should give you an estimate as to how much time of your life you've lost.

Sample

10000 (posts) x2=20000
20000/60=333.33
333.33/24=13.8

So if you've made 10000 post on a sight you've lost nearly 14 straight days of your life. Kinda puts huge post counts into a scary perspective doesn't it.

BTW this formula is completely ignoring that you read posts as well. Or that many of you post on other boards too :shocked:

Lost 1.4 days since 2003.
I wouldnt even know where to start doing the math. And here's why: I used to help moderate/ administrate 3 different message boards back in prodigy. so I may have posted over 40k? 50k notes? Not exactly sure. Then of course I'd have to add ALL the extra hours I spent reading, editing, and deleting notes. So I probably lost years :embarassed:

ragnar_ii

Diabloii.Net Member
The equation has to be different for each person, because otherwise all you are doing is scaling postcounts by 2/60/24, which is just a number equally as useful as postcount itself.

There is days I spend hours reading threads and may not even post at all. So my average time spent per post is much much greater then 2 minutes.

Either way still a cool idea.

ael

Diabloii.Net Member
It is a waste if you think about how many beers you could have drunk in the meantime. :grin:

MinasMorgul

Diabloii.Net Member
I spent 1.5 days posting with the 2 minute formulae which really dosent fit me, I can easily spend ten minutes just editing the darn post so It dosen't look like I single handedly butchered the English language.

With the 10 minute formulae I spent 7.6 days just posting. You can probably quadruple that for just reading the forum, 30.4 days...

...I'm going to go get something to eat now.

Carino

Diabloii.Net Member
Seeing as I have been lurking these forums for years and have a tiny postcount, this formula doesn't really apply to me, heh.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
None..I have met some absolutely wonderful people that I never would have met if I didn't "waste" my time on a message board.

Does this mean you are leaving???? After a few of your nasty posts, I can only hope either you learn or leave.

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member
Lost?
When I was younger and foolish I lost a lot of time on it, fighting off lonelyness. I also lost a job over it.
That was then.
Now it's just a past time. I still get lonely and sometimes it's easier for me to talk about things online. I've met some great people on forums and lost a dozen more of them, after all these years few remain.

kobold

Banned
Does this mean you are leaving???? After a few of your nasty posts, I can only hope either you learn or leave.
I don't think that that's fair Zodi. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. As long as they abide by the rules of the forum, go to it. I would have been bored and bailed long ago if the only flavour here was vanilla. I believe that there is an ignore user function on our control panels.

Evrae Altana

Diabloii.Net Member
Quietus said:
Would you say that a month straight of forum-time is all you've spent here?

I think that more than 2 minutes is warranted. I've definately spent more time than just fiveish days here.
I probably spent much more, reading threads and trading and whatnot.

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I haven't "lost" any time by posting on the forums.

On the contrary, I credit forum discussions for being quite possibly the largest influence on my life and beliefs to date. Maybe even moreso than my parents.

I wouldn't be the same person today without them.

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member
I haven't "lost" any time by posting on the forums.

On the contrary, I credit forum discussions for being quite possibly the largest influence on my life and beliefs to date. Maybe even moreso than my parents.

I wouldn't be the same person today without them.
Same here.....maybe due to different circumstances though.
I still have to fight off lonelyness, and while I nowadays try to do that in the real world, I'm not very succesfull with it.