Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

how much Leech on your merc?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by halohalo, Feb 2, 2004.

1. halohalo

halohalo IncGamers Member

how much Leech on your merc?

It would all depend on how much dmg your merc do, but just how much Life Leech do you have on your merc? The more the better, I know, but say for example, is one perf skull enough for a 3k dmg merc in hell? maybe not?

I put an amn into my bonehew and my merc does 3k+ dmg with it and his aura. will it be enough?

2. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

well my merc uses a reapers toll with 11% on it, and is able to leech well. He can fill his life in 2-3 hits if decrep ends up being cast on his target.

3. Gundam

Gundam IncGamers Member

Decrep has a weaker version of amp damage with is the same as reducing damage resistance with increases your LL. Always good.

I figure 10-20% is plenty in most cases. Attack speed makes a difference too.

In my case my merc typically has about 60% ll since my pal hits at 4pa with draculs grasp life tap is seldom in absence. As I recall life tap is 50% (right?)and he gets another 10 from equipment.

4. slick4hire

slick4hire IncGamers Member

My HF Merc has 20% with an Amn Reapers Toll. It seems to be plenty for all situations with the exception of a few extreme cases such as Lister's boss pack.

5. halohalo

Hmm. I figured an AMN is enough for a summoner's merc, since there are plenty of skellies around to be targets other than merc, even in Lister's pack. I think I'll just go with 7% LL on him.

6. slick4hire

slick4hire IncGamers Member

The only scenario in which that wouldn't apply would be area of effect damage such as the high damage fire spell that Diablo releases (not the radius spell but the one where the fire flows from his feet) in which case one jab with 7% probably wouldn't keep him alive.

Then again, 20% would be lucky to spare him too... :D

The other thing to consider is that damage increase is effectively increasing life leech while not actually increasing leech %. This makes might mercs (which I am assuming you are using for a skelliemancer) a little less item dependent and less life leech more viable.

7. halohalo

Talking about diablo, He has no chance of landing any attacks on my minions : clay golem, decrepify, and a cold skelli mage will almost 'freeze' him :D

Trying out with 7% LL, I am seeing my merc's health bar turn yellow more often than before(14% LL), and need to give him rej potions more often. Still, I can somehow keep him alive. As what you all say, I think one needs at least 10% LL to manage through.

8. st-hearts

st-hearts IncGamers Member

It depends upon attack speed as well. My merc has 10% life leech (his Andariel's Visage) and rounds out at just over 3k damage and he fares quite well, even in Lister's boss pack.

~Hearts~

9. briler

briler IncGamers Member

My lvl88 Might merc has nothing his eq is :

Tomb Rever (+ life pr kill)
    Giant Skull
    Atmas Wail

I'm a skellimancer myself, and only(almost:D) time my merc dies is when I encouter 2+ archer boss packs.
    Ofc if you are not a skellimancer your dont have the massive meat shield, and yor merc would get hit more often, I guess.

10. Voldemort

Voldemort IncGamers Member

I only use tals mask on my merc

11. TheAntiHero

TheAntiHero Banned

wut shall i soc my eth bonehew wit ?? i was thinking p skulls for leech wut u think ?? my merc is act 2 n/m offensive ty

12. halohalo

why pskull when you got AMN? mana leech is of no use to merc.
    If he don't have enough leech from his helm/armor, I'd recommend that you put one AMN, and see if he's doing ok. If he doesn't, put another AMN. If he does, then the other socket can be used to put ETH, SHAEL, dmg jewels, whatever you can think of.

13. TheAntiHero

TheAntiHero Banned

the damn thing already had p skulls in it wen i got it :xx: i just didnt wanna say ne how ill just get a hel rune

14. Bunneeeh

Bunneeeh IncGamers Member

my merc has 22 LL ! with decrep

15. Vizier

Vizier IncGamers Member

I"m going to take a shot at quantification of how much life he needs to leech back, since you guys can take that and work backwards to figure out what % that needs to be for each type of setup. I think you want to shoot for 1/8 of his life capactiy per second. That would be like a double-jab's worth, with a decently fast polearm/spear. I say this because in the heat of combat, you don't want to get into a mob where he can't leech back his health in a few seconds while taking additional hits.

A little less leech is fine if you have other minions or players to take hits for him or have some crowd control skills. A holy freeze merc wouldn't need as much since things aren't going to be hitting him as much in melee although ranged will be an issue. For BA mercs you might want something more on the order of 1/4, but then, he's going to be connecting a few more leeching hits than the other mercs from an AR point of view.

In his mid-80's, I find 7% leech ok in general with a fast polearm that does around 300-400 damage max. Off-ladder, I typical Gaze/Shaft my mercs and they nearly last forever it seems. - given a little leech to keep themselves topped off. Using this strategy, you can get by with far less leech.. 3% maybe, unless you play against a lot of caster/ranged monsters. What is more important than leech is the pre-requisites of not getting stunned, slowed, and connecting hits so he CAN leech. Stun seems to be the biggest problem for mercs when they are in hell and still in their 50's. It's mainly because of the big difference in the merc's level and the monster levels. This starts to ease up when he hits his upper 70's.

I think 7% leech would do well enough after giving your merc an elite polearm