how much do you spend on food every month?

nosoup4crr

Diabloii.Net Member
how much do you spend on food every month?

I was talking to a friend of mine who says that he only spends 180-200 dollars on food every month. I can't believe that's true, especially considering that I go out to eat with him 3 or 4 times a month. He claims that by eating tuna and making sandwiches, he can keep it that cheap. No way, I say.

Now, I have pretty expensive tastes for someone in my position (law student, no job during the school year). I'll make myself stir fry, buy wine or beer, get the expensive salsa over the cheap stuff, and I'll either go out to eat with friends or order in about 5-10 times a month. But I don't think I'm extravagant. Other than alcohol, I only drink tap water. Most of the time, I only eat 2 meals a day and no snacks. Then again, I find that I drop somewhere between 450 and 500 dollars on food every month.

I'm curious to find out what other people's eating habits cost them. I'm beginning to think there's a lot of money to be had by simply curbing my food expenditures.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: how much do you spend on food every month?

I'd say I probably spend a little under $250/month on food. I rarely go out to eat (1-2 times a month) to a sit-down place, and then I get fast food maybe another 2-3 times a month. My big weakness is beer. If I cut that out, I'd probably be closer to $200/month in food expenses.

Nosoup, if you're spending between $450 and $500, you're spending about $15/day on food. That seems like quite a lot.

whitey

Diabloii.Net Member

I got out my fiance and my receipts for last month. Spent around $150 on food between the two of us. We make sandwiches for lunch, make cheap dinners, drink mostly water (usually spend ~$30/month on drinks) and shop at one of those discount grocery stores and buy things on sale as much as possible (skip the soda if its not on sale). We only eat out once or twice a month at most. Nosoup, I could eat for half a year on your budget, LOL.

nosoup4crr

Diabloii.Net Member

let's see if I can get to the bottom of this, haha...because apparently, I'm in the minority. I go grocery shopping about 3 times a month...

the staples:

either a bottle of wine or six pack of beer ($8)
Steuffer's Lasagna ($7) (2 meals with salad)
Stir fry stuff ($8) (1 meal)
Bread ($4) (with PB&J, deli stuff, or dipped in soup, about 10 meals)
3/2 Lb. Deli meat ($7)
1 Lb. deli cheese ($5)
Salsa ($4) (Snacks or eaten with sandwiches)
Chips ($3)
Campbell's tomato/chicken noodle soups ($6)
Pack of premade salad ($3)
Croutons ($1)
Random condiments ($2)

Total: ~$60 with tax. I'm looking at about $180 in groceries per month. That accounts for around 39 out of my 60 or so meals per month. I go out to eat with friends about 6 or 7 times a month..and I'll spend $12-$15 dollars on each of those trips. That's about $85 dollars a month. That leaves about 14 meals to make up for with extra groceries or takeout. Takeout will be more expensive (around $9, considering I sometimes have to tip)...the groceries will be cheap (about $3 a meal). We'll average it out at $6 per meal...or about $85.

That adds up to about $350 a month. And I was being a bit generous with those estimations. Maybe I don't actually spend that much on food. There must just be a money leak somewhere in my budget that's accounting for the extra losses.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member

You're spending 4 bucks on a loaf of bread? Ouch.

And is that really all you buy at the store when you go?

nosoup4crr

Diabloii.Net Member

I get 2 loaves of bread...1 is the cheap kind that I use to dip in my soup and make PB&J...then I get one of the small loaves of good bread for my deli sandwiches.

And that is actually all I get when I go to the grocery store. I used to do the thing where I'd buy all the stuff I SHOULD eat, haha. I'd get apples and bananas...sometimes, I'd get th elittle premade platters of carrots and coloflour that you dip in ranch dressing...cereal or fruit bars...and I would ALWAYS get yogurt raisins, thinking, "these sound awesome." But All that stuff would go bad. I did it about 3 times before I realized that I have a pretty non-creative palate. I like eating the same things over and over.

mathmo

Diabloii.Net Member

I can spend as little as one or two new zealand dollars per meal

kernelpops

Diabloii.Net Member

I can easily spend $500 on one shopping trip.

My largest monthly was $723. according to my accounting software, but that does not include cash purchases.

Of course I buy food for 6 people, including 4 teenagers.

Evasive

Diabloii.Net Member

£45 pw for two. I guess that is around $90 pw so roughly $360-400 a month to feed two.

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I currently have in my budget $200 for Dining Out and $200 for groceries per month, but I'm looking at dropping my Dining Out budget by $100 for July.

I could probably do away with it altogether, really, but women are expensive. =P

PFSS

Diabloii.Net Member

I spend about $300/month on food, aside from breakfast I eat out for pretty much every meal.

The expense on booze is a different matter...

plasmo

Diabloii.Net Member

~$200-$350, ~$200 more if you include fun food and drink.

Glancing over my budgets for approximately the past year:

Eating out for lunch: $25-$100
Eating out for dinner: $25-$150
Groceries: $100-$250

I generally eat out for lunch 2-3 times per week (~$5-10 each). I eat out for dinner less. It's sometimes a little more expensive (~$15), although I often eat at the same places I would for lunch. Most meals come from groceries, which are a little cheaper, especially with leftovers; probably in the $2/meal range. Breakfast is usually cereal and juice, so that's dirt cheap.

Expensive dinners almost always go into my fun budget category, so those can vary a lot depending on what's going on in a particular month. BBQs, a night out with friends, etc. Same with alcohol, although I don't drink it unless I'm at a bar or club. That can get pretty expensive, especially if you're buying for anybody else. Generally, probably around $200 for fun food and beverages.

mince pies

Diabloii.Net Member

Considering there's only me, my mam and my brother living in the house, I'd say about £120 a month, which is about ~$250 a month I think

Johnny

Banned

I'm trying to establish a proper food budget where I take out $116 every monday then have that as food spendings for the whole week but it was usualy all gone by thursday.

Corneo

Diabloii.Net Member

I spent close to $500 a month. I eat out WAY too much and buy WAY too much ready to eat food.

Probably around $700-$800 a month. Family of 6, and lots of dinner guests (almost every day at least one kid has a friend or two staying for dinner).

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member

probably somewhere around 100-200 euros a month.

LonghornRob

Diabloii.Net Member

I only eat once or twice a day, so I don't spend too much. I used to eat out all the damn time, but that got to be too expensive. Now let's see:
Grocery shopping twice a month: ~$130 total
fast food: ~$25
Dining out: ~$45
Parties (beer/snacks): ~$20

Total: ~$220 a month. Damn, so that's where it all goes.