how many

Fallen_62

Diabloii.Net Member
how many

people in the OTF community are agnostic/atheistic (sp?)? it seems like a high number to me... as for myself, i am catholic by birth, but i dont really follow the rules... i am more agnostic than anything... i havent told my rents, cuz they would kill me (and my mom has gotten on a church craze lately, bah!!!!!!!), but i just dont really think there is a supreme being out there... or it there is, how did it get there, etc... anyway, back to my original question... who here is agnostic/atheistic?

Pidder

Diabloii.Net Member
Atheist.

I recently left the church of Sweden so now they can't send me to hell anymore ;)

Indemaijinj

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a great problem with all religions and philosophies who believe in all-powerful, eternal and faultless entities.

I also don't believe in any world views that makes the human being something special apart from other material things.

Finally the whole concept of salvation seems quite abhorrent to me.

Smelly

Diabloii.Net Member
I was born and raised a catholic, and even was the best student to ever attend my Sunday school (big whoop!). I guess I just got too smart and asked too many questions. Athiest now.

toader

Banned
one vote for Protestant.

I know you only asked for atheist/agnostic but I felt it would be nice to know how many of everything we got here.

Fallen_62

Diabloii.Net Member
toader said:
one vote for Protestant.

I know you only asked for atheist/agnostic but I felt it would be nice to know how many of everything we got here.
dats true... might as well say what u are... religious/religion or atheistic/agnostic

and yea... the more i think about it, the more i come up with questions about "God" and how he came to be, and why... im more of a reasonal person... i need things explained other than "He made them" and thats the way it is...

i believe in the evolution theory, as it were, and that is "against catholic religion" i guess... i did ask questions in my CCD/sunday school classes, but for some strange reason, they never got answered the way i wanted... wonder why...

Smelly

Diabloii.Net Member
Well when you're older and sick and dying, I can see why you might turn to religion once again. Personally I think most religions stem from man's fear of death and the unknown. I mean, going to a land of extreme perfection does sound appealing, but it's completely not plausible in my world...

I wouldn't exactly force yourself to become an atheist, just let things come as they do is my opinion. I'm glad I was raised a catholic as a child, because it fueled my fire for atheism. I think one drawback to being an atheist is my acceptance of things as they are. When the pope dies, he's going to be happy he lived his life and would now rise into the arms of God, so he'll die with a smile on his face. When I die, I'm going to think "Well, this is it. Game over man." And then die, and rot, like people do.

:rant:

LunarSolaris

Diabloii.Net Member
I consider myself christian, but I do not practice my faith. At this point in my life, I cannot reconcile parts of the christian faith with how I feel personally. As a result, I've not renounced my faith by any means... but I don't practice it at all. I'm not sure exactly what that classifies me as.

Smelly

Diabloii.Net Member
LunarSolaris said:
I consider myself christian, but I do not practice my faith. At this point in my life, I cannot reconcile parts of the christian faith with how I feel personally. As a result, I've not renounced my faith by any means... but I don't practice it at all. I'm not sure exactly what that classifies me as.
What Christian does practice their faith? Don't beat yourself up over it; in my eyes you're better off than 90% of the Christians I know, who "claim" to practice their faith. You get kudos from me either way.

LunarSolaris

Diabloii.Net Member
maccool said:
Apathetic agnostic. I don't know and I don't care. Wanna make something of it?!?!?
:D

You could also add defensive to that if you wanted to just to make it even more interesting. ;)

redneck hater

Diabloii.Net Member
Agnostic, I really can't go all the way to athiest, Althought I might. I've never went to church, but for now agnostic seems fine with me.

Anakha1

Banned
Smelly said:
What Christian does practice their faith?
The CAP Alerts guy does. Obsessively. For an example, he wrote this in his review for the Butterfly effect.

When standing in line for admission to The Butterfly Effect, I was graced by a never before seen sight for the Driftwood Theater - bonafide punks with the sides of the head shaved, spiked hair, the black spiked and studded dog collar, spiked and studded black wrist bands, etc. Complete with a bunch of steel poking through them. They tried to get in to see this movie but the girl did not have an ID with her. She was obviously out of her element, looking as though she donned "punk" temporarily, pretending to be punk for the evening to easily get back to real life tomorrow morning. At least I was able to gain further confirmation of my previous observations of "punk." One observation in particular, in addition to noting again the signature attitude of "It ain't good enough, no matter what 'it' is", was that they certainly had a way with word. No, not a way with "words", just 'word.' At least these three favored the one word. While looking for an opportunity to open a dialogue with them, I was hoping they would initiate conversation -- I would have even welcomed a confrontation -- so I could maybe slide into a little witnessing or at least tell them of Jesus' love for us as we are (we don't have to be "clean" to invite Jesus into our hearts). But apparently the folks found reason to not open any dialogue with me and quickly started walking away after the window clerk said "No ID, no ticket." They left too quickly for me to open any conversation with them without being obvious I guess Jesus was not ready for them to have such an experience ... through me anyway ... not yet.
Anyways... Obviously I'm atheist. And, like GPBH I'm fiercly against any religion whatsoever. As James Madison once said, I believe "Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."

piff

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm Catholic by name, though I don't agree with most of it. I do beleive in one God, Jesus, His son, and the Holy Spirit, and that forgivness, good, salvation, and eternal life come through Them. Other than that, I don't really beleive in a specific religion.