Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How many would like to see Capes added?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by CoQui, Jul 6, 2008.

1. CoQui

CoQui IncGamers Member

How many would like to see Capes added?

I know your thinking WoW right now. But I'm not. I'm just thinking how badass the addition of capes would look in the game with the cloth physics and everything. Running around with the cape draping behind your powerful looking warrior. Imagine the cape in the air when you leap with the Barbarian, 300 style. I think it would add to the epicness Blizzard is going for in this game. Of course the capes can add some benefits I guess, but like I said, it doesn't have to be all WoWness. No crazy coloful capes, and maybe not even a cape slot, just make the chest armor it'self include the cape. I think it would be badass addition. Remember this is Diablo 3, not Diablo 2 or Diablo 2.5

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Re: How many would like to see Capes added?

I like the idea of capes. It would add something cool looking to a character. Maybe it should offer only a small benefit, like a little bit of additional life and resists. No +5 all skills godly cape. :tongue:

3. 5zigen

5zigen IncGamers Member

Opposed to capes. I Think they look stupid. Every character doesn't need to look like superman.

Perhaps as part of some armor on some of the characters, but I think they look silly as their own peice of gear and generally don't match the character. in most cases.

4. CoQui

CoQui IncGamers Member

I guess you CAN have a point in that they generally don't match the character, but let's say certain characters. Like I think the witch doc would look lame with a cape, but the Barbarian would look godlike. Maybe what they should do then is have the cape come along with the particular chest piece. I think, Sorceress, Barbarian, Paladin, Amazon, and Assassin would look badass with capes. Of course that's assuming if we had them all return in D3 which they won't. But I'm praying for assassin's and necro's return. Highly doubtful on necro though with witch doc inplace for summonables. Sad because he brought great personality and just fit great in the Diablo universe.

5. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

Cape, probably yes depending on what they do with it. Cloaks, definitly yes. I don't want my character's clothes to look too flashy, but most powerful armor/gear tend to be so; the trade off usually ends with my characters not looking the way I want them to, but performing as I want them to. With Cloaks, I can have my cake and eat it also.

Plus, it adds a layer of mysteriousness to a character, something that I want my character to have. Cloaks should not just be something that game cinematic characters can wear.

6. Nimbostratus

Nimbostratus IncGamers Member

It'd be nice to have them as sort of an "optional slot." They won't give any benefits, and won't be auto-equipped if you don't have one.

7. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

Could be interesting. More of a matter of personal taste though. Something I liked in WoW was the option to make them visible or not. That way, if your character looked stupid with it, you could just make it invisible. If he looked good with it, you could make it visible again. Same with the helmets.

8. KiLLJOi

KiLLJOi IncGamers Member

cloaks would be completely awesome imo, maybe even the option to wear the hood up or down?:worship:

9. 5zigen

5zigen IncGamers Member

I can get behind this.

So long as they dont have stats and are just visual.

I don't want to be required to put a cape on my robed sorcerer because cape + robe looks stupid. Well in generally I think capes always look stupid on any character.

10. sicilian

sicilian IncGamers Member

I like this idea. I think it would make sense for a cloak or cape to offer some sort of resistance, but I agree that some characters would just look silly with capes. I think the option to have the cape on for the benefits but not see it visually is a good option.

11. ColtFourFive

ColtFourFive IncGamers Member

Visuals are things they can throw in later, as in patch or expansion material. I think they would be awesome, character customization is brilliant. Barbarian war paint anyone?

I can already see the D3exp ads "New character classes! New features! New spells! You can wear a cape if you want to! Free beer! Chuck Norris!"

12. phool

phool IncGamers Member

Capes imo presents a stronger alternative than hair colour/style etc for character customisation, am thinking of Guild Wars' cloak's heavy customisation and possibly trim/ornamental upgrades based on your char's acheivements (bronze trim = slayer, gold = baron, whatever). Can be displayed or turned off, used as an alternative to a clan tag... a highly visible way of giving your characters individuality. Possible gold sink potential.

Unlikely really but it'd certainly be nice. Customisation of this type should be really easy with Diablo no longer isometric.

13. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

If not done exactly right, they can really turn out to be bad for the game.

I can still remember when the community added visible capes in NeverwinterNights. They looked horible, yet everyone would walk around with them.
    In a much later patch they were added as standard. Looking a lot better, but still I hate them. They obscure so much of a characters and make everyone look the same.
    The capes would have to be really cool and diverse to avoid this.

It might be a little better in an isometric game like Diablo, where you do not continuesly see your character from the back, but still I would only like this if it is done extremely good.

14. Twistedmill

Twistedmill IncGamers Member

I think capes and cloaks could be a great idea and i think they should be capable of giving the character some kind of bonuses. There could be a trade off...like not being able equip both a cloak and some of the more heavy armor at the same time...wearing a winged helmet with cloak over it wouldn't make much sense.

There were cloaks in d1.

15. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

There were, but they didn't actually look like cloaks on your in-game character.

I'm all for capes, war paint, cloaks, etc... as long as they're optional.

16. Epogy

Epogy IncGamers Member

I wouldn't have a problem with capes if they didn't have any modifiers. I would hate to have to wear a cape that makes my char look stupid only for the reason that I'd be weaker without it. On the other hand a cool fur cloak/cape thingy on a barb would be kinda cool...

or how about being able to buy "over garments" in towns? Items to wear purely for style, like a hooded cloak to wear over your armor if you felt like it?

17. Hodl Pu

Hodl Pu IncGamers Member

18. AlexanderM

AlexanderM IncGamers Member

I dunno, adding cloaks/capes/other visuals that are "worn but not armor" would be a bit out there for the Diablo series (though not for other blizzard games). I kinda liked having to choose between the armor with slightly better stats, and the one that looked better, lol.

19. Arbedark

Arbedark IncGamers Member

Make capes / cloaks a shoulder piece of armour...

That way they'll convey some bonus to your character, but shoulderpads could end up being more powerful. So if you want a cloak / cape you might need to gimp your character a bit.

Sorted. Would also stop all the whiney people complaining about oversized shoulderpads...just wear a cape / cloak instead..