Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How many still play d2? Anyone want to play?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Haze24, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Haze24

Haze24 IncGamers Member

Its been almost half my lifetime since I've played d2. I played d3 for awhile but didn't feel anything like d2 so that didn't last long. Is there a decent amount of people that still play d2? Is it worth getting back into for awhile? Also, anyone want to join me starting with absolutely nothing? Sounds like fun.

2. scizyr

scizyr IncGamers Member

I just started again on USeast, playing hardcore ladder only. I had purchased D3 at release time and last week decided to see if it had improved. Much to my dismay it had actually gotten worse. They implemented some weird algorithms to control the legendary drop rate and got rid of the nightmare, hell, inferno difficulties. I didn't get the feeling I would enjoy Reaper of Souls so I uninstalled it and decided to come back to D2.

I've been playing 4 or 5 days now on HC ladder and having an absolute blast. There seems to be a somewhat decent resurgence in Diablo 2, especially since the latest patch 1.14 which added support for windows 10. I grabbed Sven's Glide Wrapper and added -3dfx to my shortcut parameters so I could use glide and its amazingly smooth.

There are a ton of people on SC and much more people on HC than there were just a few years ago when I tried patch 1.12. There are still spam bots that join every public game but they are a nuisance I have learned to ignore.

I have very fond memories of the Diablo 2 community and although I can't speak for what it's like in SC, in HC people are all still very friendly and helpful. It's very easy to get into groups and get rushed if you needed, there are lots of people who I've found enjoy "walking" through acts at a more relaxed pace than just rush rush rush like it was long ago.

If you haven't played since 1.11 you're going to have the same positive reaction I did to all the new changes. So many new possibilities have opened up for character build types and since 1.13 we get one stat/skill respec from Akara per difficulty, which means you don't have to save up your points until you get to the level where you can use the skills and equipment you need for your build.

I'd be happy to play with you if you'd like to join the hardcore world (it's not as bad as they say). Anyone else who reads this is welcome too, hit me up at *deathicx
    I'll be online weeknights after 7pm EST.

3. djbuns

djbuns IncGamers Member

I started playing again not too long ago...have a 66 sorc and 50 necro...couple of teen'ish characters too. *pupito and I am online most evenings for a bit.

4. ReZon

ReZon IncGamers Member

After a long 10 year break, I just started playing again about a week ago. Saw someone playing it on Twitch and got a sudden itch to play again...!

Having a blast so far, and lots of friendly and generous folks out there.

Been playing SC Ladder USEast.

5. sleepybear123

sleepybear123 IncGamers Member

Hi,
    as some others, i also felt an itch to play after 6+ years, just bought D2 and will start from scratch w ATMA most probably to add a little of daily virtual lottery luck to my routine

6. DingoDave

DingoDave IncGamers Member

Hey guys!
    Same here, just got back on Ladder USEast SC after a 10year break. What a great game. Downloaded the D3 demo and it felt different. I play when time allows, casual and looking for peeps to quest MF exp etc add me *dingodave

7. inkantuj

inkantuj IncGamers Member

Yes, I still play, currently on EuScL. Sometimes non-ladder.
    I try to be active at least for couple of weeks every (or every second) ladder. I think there AT LEAST as many people as 3-5 years ago. Community hasn't really declined.

8. SPIDERfrank

SPIDERfrank IncGamers Member

This game has pulled me back again and again over so many years... just can't quit it. I still find myself refreshing old characters from 14 years ago lol.

9. PraetorArch

PraetorArch IncGamers Member

I just started again after few years with a class I have never tried before (Druid). It was hard not to choose my all-time-favourite Necro, but now D2 feels as a new experience again :) Playing on Europe Realm, Softcore, Ladder. Currently only lvl 12, not rushing anywhere, enjoying the game itself. If anybody want to join, just ping me :)

Sent from my Lenovo P70-A using Tapatalk

10. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

Goddammit this game is addictive..! I started playing on Ladder again against all my better knowledge. 'Just a few quick hours of D2 to take my mind off rl worries, here and there, now and then.' Pshaw! After three days of almost non-stop playing, I now rock full Tals and was able to sell some gloves that I picked up for free for 2,5 HRs! o_O Oh, the exhilaration (despite the fact I could buy 40 HRs for $ 9,99 -- see, the RMAH has no effect on my enjoyment :p)!

You know, I was almost beginning to believe those D3 fans who claim that all the 'D2 >>> D3' types are merely blinded by rose-glassed nostalgia. I can now call bs on that claim loud and clear. Playing D3 felt like mopping the office floor, while D2 is like climbing to the top of the office tower with no safety equipment. That's how far the respective thrills are from each other -- so far you can hardly call the other a thrill at all. YMMV, ofc; but if you prefer D3, I don't want to hear about you.

My account is *vesir1 on Eu Sc Ladder. I probably (hopefully...) won't play as much when my studies start next month, but until then I'll be fairly active. (Don't whisp me for rushes though, because the char I'm making with my new wealth won't be able to do them.)

EDIT: It's surprising how many players there are in this Ladder. I'd say it's not much worse than in the best years (although my memory is hazy that far back). Maybe more people have tired of D3 by now and are back on the old horse? In any case, on Eu there's plenty of trades to be made, which is what I've always enjoyed the most in D2. :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  11. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

The ladder lasts such a terribly short time, I feel like I have to start right when the ladder starts.

Since I missed it, I feel like I have to wait for reset.

Screw this 6 month reset thing. =(

12. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

If it's any consolation, HRs are about 5-6 Ist on Eu Ladder right now. At ladder start it's something like 20-25 iirc. So, you could amass enough runes for new builds in a big hurry if you started playing now, and it only gets better the more the ladder goes on. Ofc you already know this, so it might not be enough to sway you; just a heads-up on the values. I've never seen HRs so low (read: duped), which makes me think my feeling about an increased number of players is true: if there wouldn't be enough people to sell runes to, the item shops wouldn't dupe them to hell and back.

To me, the ladder reset is almost perfectly timed, as Civilization VI comes out on October 22nd. :D (Unless ofc I were to play both the new Ladder and Civ VI at the same time, which combined with my new studies should be unthinkable... Right? Right? :eek::rolleyes::cool:)

13. Charles E

Charles E IncGamers Member

U.S. West Ladder *xdarkcrusaderx i wanna start playing HC seriously since i dont have my old accounts from 2005

14. Charles E

Charles E IncGamers Member

Add me US West *xdarkcrusaderx