Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

how many sockets I will get?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by yxx, May 3, 2005.

1. yxx

yxx IncGamers Member

how many sockets I will get?

I see a post says a NO socket eth cryptic axe will get 5 os, eth thresher will get 4os.
    seems he knows.
    Just wondering whether this true, any rules? shoud socket number should be random?

2. xxraiderxx

xxraiderxx IncGamers Member

Socket quests shld net u the maximum allowed sockets available on the item if u found that item in hell difficulty... so an eth cryptic axe would get 5 OS and the eth thresher would get 5 Os instead of 4 Os.

3. yxx

yxx IncGamers Member

thanks, so if I socket a dusk, I will always get 4os, never have chance to get 3 os, right?
    I did once, it is 4 os. Just thought I an not lucky. Thinking do it again.

4. xxraiderxx

xxraiderxx IncGamers Member

Correct... However if u want to get a 3 Os dusk shroud u could try by using the cube recipe for socketing armor... its gives u a random number of sockets from 1-4.

1 Tal + 1 Thul + 1 PTopaz + Body Armor ---> Socketed Body Armor

NOTE : Armor must be white, unsocketed, not superior but can be normal, exceptional or elite.

Hope this helps.

5. yxx

yxx IncGamers Member

Thank you very much.

6. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

There is another trick you can use for a 3-socket dusk shroud. If you find a low quality/cracked/damaged dusk shroud and upgrade it to "normal" using the El + chipped gem (any) + low quality armor recipe, you will set the ilvl to 1, which can only have a maximum of 3-sockets. So, Larzuk will give it 3, or you will have slightly better odds with the socketing recipe xxraiderxx gave you. (2/3 chance instead of 1/6 chance.)

7. Elgar

Elgar IncGamers Member

Dont know bout you, but 4X the probability is more than slightly better. In any case, *i* wouldnt put it up to chance, id use the quest to make sure i got the 3.

8. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

el chippy and low quality armor is dirt cheap, what are you going to lose 1/3 of your armors to failed attempts then what are you out a run? where as using the quest will take you the time to rush your character. save the quest for the rare and unique/set that needs that 1 socket to be great.

Here is my guide on altering items the first section describes socketing in detail. It's worth the read to understand why such and such get this or that amount of sockets and how to get the amount of sockets you want.

9. Elgar

Elgar IncGamers Member

guess that depends on what you are making. If you spend the time to find a (near) perfect low quality armor, then I think itd be worth your time.
    youd also be out the 1 Tal + 1 Thul + 1 PTopaz. Not that these are that expensive

Note its the armor that i feel could be the limiting reagent here.

10. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I´m with Uzziah on this. The way I play (no moving of items between characters), the socketing reward is strictly for set/unique/crafted/magical/rare items, where the recipes don´t work.

11. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

It would all depend on how you play I guess. Personally, I used to have alot of socket quests unused on various characters, but then again, I do move items between characters. In my case, it would take alot longer to get another lower quality dusk shroud, then it would to get another socket quest.

Not to mention that I'm 100% certain I can get another socket quest if I need to, but the same doesn't apply to a low quality dusk.

12. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Here is a link for the original question:

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/elite/polearms.shtml

The "sockets" column shows the maximum number of sockets for an item found on hell difficulty. Larzuk will always give the maximum to a white or etheral item. Socketing in the cube, or socketing items found on lower difficulties, can result in fewer sockets.

13. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member