Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How many Q's Per Act Do You Want To See?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Bad Ash, May 9, 2008.

1. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Member

How many Q's Per Act Do You Want To See?

Hey guys-

Just a thought, how many Quests would you like to see per act if Blizzard was to sick with the same concept? I would like to see there be more quests per act personally and think that around 10 would be a lot (and mean the acts are a lot bigger :)) but wouldnt mind it if they ALL varied to have a different number. I just hope it is a longer game :-D

Any quests you would like to see upgraded for Diablo 3? Like a favorite that could return bigger and better? I would like to see the Ancients come back in some way or form

2. MrCanon

MrCanon IncGamers Member

Re: How many Q's Per Act Do You Want To See?

4 sidequests per act with awesome rewards (stat and skill points, + resistance scroll, added slot to item, etc ) just like Diablo II.
    Main storyline quests doesn't count with those.

It makes it easier to just join a game and have fun.
    Also, it's more alt friendly and makes it easier to redo these quests on Nighmare and Hell.

I HATE these new online games with 100+ boring quests.
    WoW unfortunately started the trend.

3. Meneldil

Meneldil IncGamers Member

Why do you want Diablo III to be just like Diablo II?!

Personally, I'd like to see possibly more quests - or quests with options/different possible ending / mutually exclusive quests. Obviously, I think the rewards would have to be worthwhile, too. :)

4. Kryyn

Kryyn IncGamers Member

50. >.> DnD style though, there's main quests, then all the sub-quests that aren't available if you treat an NPC a certain way, etc.

5. koeraokse

koeraokse IncGamers Member

around 10 per act, if D3 becomes another game with million quests then it sux

6. Angel_of_Wrath

Angel_of_Wrath IncGamers Member

Definitely more quests than D2, but no stupid fedex quests. Cain doesn't need 10 demon wings from venom lords to do something irrelevant. Stay with the detailed side story and valuable rewards.

Diablo 1 had some random quests where there was a chance to get/not get a quest or questline during game creation. I'd like to see that with several quests of varying randomness (randomness? is that a word?) that would appear from time to time.

7. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

I'd like to see about 10 as well though I'd like them to be arranged sort of differently. Make about 4 main quests and then 6 side quests with valuable rewards but make them much more difficult than the main quests. Possibly making it so that you don't even really have a shot at the time and it's more of an end game thing that you'll have to come back for. I don't want them to have really valuable rewards but everyone just levels up in hell and then comes back when they can fly right through to the reward. They should also be kind enough to let you know the first time through. Like in the dialog activating the quest mention that you better train a lot before you even attempt to take on whatever nasty thing you need to beat to complete the quest.

8. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

I want as many as it takes to get to the next act.

9. qtpielv

qtpielv Banned

Q's with different awards for different classes, Qs consisting of several parts with possible multiple storylines.

10. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

I'd like to see the same concept from DI regarding quests. By that I mean that you have a random set of quests for each char. For example, in DI, if you didn't get the Poisoned Water supply quest then you would get King Leoric's quest and to do the Poisoned Water supply you'd have to create a new char. But I'd like that to be in the side quests of the game so that they're optional and aren't compulsory in completing the game. So, ideally, ten (main) quests would suit me.

I'd also like to see quests changing in Nightmare and Hell difficulties (and possibly another difficulty after Hell?) because it gets kind of boring after you've completed Normal then have to do the same quests again in a harder difficulty. The thing about treating NPCs a certain way to determine which quests you get sounds good too

11. minizx

minizx IncGamers Member

i would like around 10 main quests per act and also i would like to see randomized side quests like "Bob the unholy has eaten my cows ill give you a random rare ring if you kill him and avenge my cattle" or "Griswald has stole my damm leg again ill give you a random charm if you get it back, all the other towns folk are calling me Ileen so help me please"

12. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

Wouldn't random quest ruin the play style we have now? Imagine you entering a game where you were cruel to cain so you he doesn't want to give you a certain quest, though the other of the party has been nice to cain and get the quest. That would prevent you from partying, and thus, I don't really see it work.
    On the other hand, might be interesting in single player.

I'd like to see as many quest as possible, though not every quest should be mandatory. We don't want to have to a hundred quest with our pvp characters just to get a few stat points. On the other hand, mf characters might have interest in doing some quest to open new area's or to get more money from the ncp's. Crafters might get some quest to get additional features to the horadric cube.
    The only thing that would be bad, is to get all the same quest. We don't want a zillion kill-that-monster-quests. Though as long as they are original, I don't see why there should be a limit, just make quests for different types of characters - i.e. stat quest for pvp, though not needed to survive in pvm.

13. Flux

Flux Administrator

I don't know if anyone but me followed HGL that closely, but the game was pretty much D3 in a new setting. Bliz dumped all (presumably) the work the original d3 team did before bliz north got shut down in 2005, which fully freed up the flagship guys to reuse all of their d3 ideas. In that light, it's interesting to see how they handled quests in hgl.

Well okay... how they wanted to handle quests in hgl. As the game was released it was almost nothing but fed ex quests, many of them dressed up with wacky npc dialogue to slightly obscure their "collect n of X and return it to NPC 1" nature. In their planning for quests though, they had some very interesting ideas.

http://hellgate.incgamers.com/w/index.php/Quests

They had ideas for faction quests; these were ones that would only be available for each faction (class). Imagine quests only for paladins, or amazons, or whatever. The game fiction had the different factions competing with each other, in not entirely friendly fashion. The cabalists and templars didn't like each other, so templars wouldn't get quests from cabalist NPCs, and vice versa. your char would also gain faction points with a given faction by doing quests for them. you could earn promotion or special treatment in your own faction, or gain esteem from other factions, who might eventually have granted your char the ability to use the class-specific weapons of other classes.

Another nifty idea was rare quests. These would only generate every now and then, maybe every 500th game, so they'd be fun and special and different when you found them. /f list everyone! kind of like diablo walks the earth.

They were also going to have a world clock and quests on time limits. You had to return with 10 fuel mods, or whatever, but you only had 5 or 10 minutes from when you were given the quest. These would have been more rewarding than regular quests.

Another good idea that did make it into the game was different rewards. So for a given quest reward you could pick from 3 items of armor, or 3 weapons, and take the one you liked best. The one that was best for your character, or maybe for your friend playing a different class. Flagship used these as a game balancer; by making these quests required before you could advance they made sure you had equipment of sufficient quality to compete in the next area. These were semi-random, so rather than just the potluck rare ring or rare class specific item of d2, you could pick a ring, amulet, helm, weapon, etc, whichever your char needed the most.

The key to these being useful is making the quests interesting and meaningful. No one cares if they get the uber rare quest if it's just another stupid FedEx chore. HGL didn't handle that aspect of things very well. Let's hope the D3 team, operating without the budget/time deadlines that crippled HGL, can improve on their efforts.

14. MrCanon

MrCanon IncGamers Member

No random quests and no 10+ quests per act, please.
    If you guys actually played any ARPG after D2, you should know D2 was far superior in the end.

Grouping plain sucks if you have tons of quests.
    Check Guild Wars, Hellgate:London or even any of the random quests in WoW.

D2 was nice because you could simply join an Act and just easily complete it fully without getting lost or confused in chain quests.

15. IrreducibleParadox

IrreducibleParadox IncGamers Member

Randomly spawning quests would be awesome if the gamestructure was similar to that of D2 and D1. Then the Qs could also have a rarity rating and spawn like uber D in D2. Sometimes you'd find brand new super rare quests with freaky rewards in the games you are playing and they could always offer up something new. A special quests could be as rare as the zod rune and you could only read about it online and drool to the reward descriptions.

16. Mestre Crjspim

Mestre Crjspim IncGamers Member

Guild Wars is much like this. Nonetheless, GW has too many quests. I like to do quests, however if they start to be much alike or if the rewards really suck, I'll just do them the quickest way I can, just to complete the game and pass on to other things.

Your idea of rare quests is one of the most interesting things I've heard for a RPG. It could really boost the game's longevity, misticism and "treasure/quest hunt". I recall that my favorite quest in the original Diablo was random and it did't spawn too much - The Warlord of Blood (rings a bell to novel's readers). The weapon racks could bring out some very good items...

17. Lanthanide

Lanthanide IncGamers Member

I like the idea of the randomized quests, a la D1, but they can't be too random - any less frequent than 1/3 or 1/4 games kind of sucks, because you could easily get quests 1-3 15 games in a row before you finally get quest 4, for example.

The quests also need to be substantially different and not just tweaked copies of each other. Compare Zhar the Mad with Chamber of Bone or Arkaine's Valour for example.

The rewards should not be too different in power levels either - it sucks if you want to do quest X because it has a really good reward, but you keep rolling quest Y instead - this is a problem Mestre noted above with Warlord of Blood. It was quite evident in D1 - King Leoric was a far better quest for Warriors than Poisoned Water Supply was, and it sucked when you got PWS.

18. Mestre Crjspim

Mestre Crjspim IncGamers Member

Indeed you're somewhat right... I found it pretty frustrating sometimes when I got to Hell levels and there was no Warlord of Blood. Eitherway, it's the randomness and rarity that keeps us pushing forward.

19. IrreducibleParadox

IrreducibleParadox IncGamers Member

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. You are all totally wrong! Think outside the box people. Of course a core set of quests should function exactly as you describe above, but on top of these there should be a vast amount of randomized and highly rare quests. Much like uber diablo or items. It would offer up the potential for continuous exploration and make sure that there was always new content to experience.

If certain items can be rare and randomly spawning in only very few games then so can and should a couple of cool quests.

Also I liked the shrines of D1 and wouldn't mind it at all if certain shrines, tomes etc. unlocked hidden classes and or abilites. More things than equippable items should be findable, to automatically limit items to be the only searchable objects would be wrong and totally unnecessary.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  20. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Member

For those who dont want "10 quests", the thing you have to realize is this is assuming its in the same set up as D2 or D2. Like if there were 10 quests for Act 1, 2, 3 etc. The biggest thing is that this game is NOT like WoW. D2 is not like that or even guild wars, and shouldnt be. I dis-agree with the "choose your reward" because that is getting too much like WoW.

I LOVE the idea of a Q that gives a random charm, that would be really cool. Its more of an upgraded D2, that is what I want and the quests can defintely help that. I want a longer game, it should still be easy to get through the acts (so i like the ideas of 4 main quests and 6 sub quests...would the dark tower count as a sub quest? and the Horadric Malus? I say defintely!) So think of it like that.

D2: A1: Find the Mutant Skeleton in the Hole, he killed Warrivs brother, and warriv wants revenge.

Heres an idea of how "random" quests could factor in:

Think of if every 100th game or something one of the "dead rogues" is a "dieing rouge" and if you avenge him by killing something in the den of evil (for example) he would give you a cool merc weapon, or a rare ammy. It cant be something that is TOO godly because it is a random quest, but should be a good reward that if you are in a game and you see this that people woul want to do it. Another reason not to rush through and take your time.

Here's an idea: How would you feel if Nightmare and Hell had completely different quests. I know that this was kind of mentioned before, but what if Normal was acts 1-5, Nightmare was acts 6-10 and hell (which could take place in hell? haha) was acts 11-15, all with 5-6 quests per act. It would make Diablo 2 three times as long, create for a TON more bosses, and would be bad ***!

As long as they have Set Quests (a.k.a not like WoW with a gazillion quests) it will be done correctly to stay true to Diablo form