Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How many of you...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Fallen_62, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Fallen_62

Fallen_62 IncGamers Member

How many of you...

Had roommate problems when/if you were in college? What did you do about them? Lately, my roomie has been pissing me off royally. Yesterday, he had some people over playing Halo2. Now, I dont mind it, but lately its been almost every day that people are in our room, and it is getting annoying to hear them whining about some weapon or some tactic the other team is using. Not only that, but they always sit in front of the door to our room, so if I want to come in or leave, I have to make myself as thin as a piece of paper to get out the damn door.

Finally yesterday I had had enough. One of the same people were whining about the same exact thing he always does, and I was sitting at my computer, eating Cocao Pebles when I stood up, said "Jesus chris, quit your f****** b*******, its annoying as all hell." and walked out. They were still in our room for over an hour after that. When they left, my roomie didnt say a word or ask me about why I was mad... Then, later last night, he asked me if he could use my X-Box for Halo in a different room. I told him fine, because I wouldnt be using it since I was going bowling.

So, I get off of class today, and I want to watch a movie since I couldnt yesterday becuase they were using my TV and Xbox. I still havent seen all of the extended Return of the King DVD, so I want to watch that. Low and behold, my Xbox is not back in my room. Now, I am fine with them using it, but bring the damn thing back when you are done!!!

And thats just the Xbox. Last semester he told me that he didnt like my GF sleeping over all that much because "he couldnt sleep right when she is here." Now, how the hell can you not sleep right with someone else here and they are sleeping themselves, not making any noise?! I said fine, whatever, and since then, the only time me and my GF have slept in my room was when Nick was gone. But, now that we have gotten better, he has gotten worse. His GF now sleeps over in our room somewhat frequently, and it drives me insane because they have slept in our room more than me and my GF have this semester. I just think is a bit hipocritical that he sleeps here with his GF more than I do after being asked not to. Not to mention that when I didnt have a GF, his GF slept here a ton, and was in our room almost all the time.

Eh... yea... I guess I am just a bit fed up with him and I cant wait til next semester because I either get a new roommate or I get to be a CA, in which I get a single room and then room and board paid for. I am waiting to hear back on the CA position, and it will prolly be tomorrow. I will let you guys know how it goes when I get the letter.

/rant

2. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Simple... communication.

What you just posted here is something you need to tell your roommate. You'd likely be surprised at how oblivious people can sometimes be about how their behavior affects others.

Also consider that while you are terribly annoyed with your roommate, that he might be annoyed with things you are doing as well and that you might not be aware of it.

Without communication, every relationship is doomed to fail (whether that be familial, friendship, or romantic).

If things can't be resolved, you'll definitely want to consider getting a new roommate or a room of your own.

I was lucky in college that I roomed with good friends. All problems that I had were pretty minor in comparison to some of the major issues of other roommates that I had heard of.

3. toader

toader Banned

Hah...welcome to college.

Something like 75% of the roomates I knew always had problems. Its very rare to see roomates that dont have problems.

I dunno what to tell you to do, not much you can do but put up with it, and try to find someone more to your style. As the years go by in college, roomates become easier, because you realize this, and become pickier or more tolerate, etc..

Anyways....whats this crap about playing Halo 2? You better tell me theyre on an inter-dorm network or something sucka. I remember trying to get you to play H2 with me a few months ago and you said you couldnt connect to XBox Live because of some network crap at your college. Has this changed? Wanna play some H2 together? :)

4. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Sit him down and have a talk with him.

A good start is not returning your Xbox. Explain to him that you don't mind at all lending it to him, but when you come back the next day and its still gone, that's abusing your trust, and irritating as all hell. Ask him to stop having his girl over because you don't feel comfortable sleeping with her there. Either that or start having yours over all the time again, and when he says something, answer "oh, well since your girl is over every night, I figured it was okay again."

Do you ever leave for home for a weekend or take the Xbox somewhere? If you want to be passive aggressive with him because he doesn't respond to being talked to, take it home with you or to your girlfriend's place for a night without letting him know ahead of time. When you bring it back, only bring back one controller, or forget the power cord or something. His friends and he will get bored quick and figure out another place to play the game or find something else to do.

There're a million ways to handle it, none are ideal. I had a few really annoying roommates in college (actually far worse than the things you're describing...PM me if you want me to get into it all), though I was fortunate enough to be sharing a small house and not a dorm room with them. It was helpful to not be the only one in the house totally fed up.

5. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

Currently, i'm on my fourth roommate. We seem to be getting along perfectly.

However, my very first semester in college, i was in a triple. I slept on the bottom bunk, an indian kid slept on the top bunk, and an armenian kid slept on the other side of the room on a seperate bed.

I am now very close friends with the armenian kid, but me and the indian kid had problems. At the beginning of the semester, we just stayed away from each other and didn't bother each other at all. Then something happened...

I'm a very heavy sleeper and i usually don't wake up to my alarm right away. The indian kid usually ends up turning off my alarm and waking me up. Then, on the day of my test, he turns off the alarm like always and doesn't wake me up. I end up missing the test (which the prof let me make up luckily). When i woke up late that day, i called the indian kid and said some stuff (i was still half sleeping). As a result, he didn't come back to the room for several days in fear that i might do something to him. After that, we didn't get along.

Then, i had another roommate. We were getting along fine until one day he just starts screaming at me for minor things (like listening to music on my headphones while he's sleeping.) Since this is the first time that he mentioned that, i didn't know that it bothered him. I told him calmly that if he has a problem, he should tell me and i would try to stop it instead of going off and screaming at me. Everything seemed to be working out fine until i asked him for a favor. I was away from the room at the moment and i needed to contact someone. I asked him to knock on the door across the hall and have some kid call me. A 2-minute thing. He promised he would do it and call me right back. I'm waiting.... waiting.... waiting.... then i finally call him. He doesn't pick up at all. I'm thinking he left the room for some reason, maybe an emergency and left it at that. Then i call another friend and ask him to stop by the room. He tells me that my roommate was there the whole time, didn't do what he promised he would do, and wasn't picking up the phone. After that, i pretty much told him what i thought of liars. Never talked to him since and he ended up moving out of my room shortly after.

6. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

My last roommate and I lived in open hate of each other. That's ok though, because the other two people we lived with were on my side. This kid was a grade A rich kid elitist jerk. Everyone who met him agreed he was a complete loser.

7. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Two people with totally independent lives can't share a small place with fights. Noise, money, chores, you name it. Either get your own room or find someone you don't mind fighting with and marry them.

Garbad

8. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

Smother him with your pillow while he's sleeping.

Either that or do what i do, be annoying as possible without being direct. If my roomie is playing his music (he likes Creed....very sad) i just turn mine up even more to drum his out. Because my speakers are bigger i always win. I suppose its the little things.

9. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

I havent had someone that annoying in awhile now. Last person that was like that, it was my little cousin. But I talked to him and he realized what he had done. Not because you're not that close to your roommate as I am with my cousin, definately, as others have pointed out, talk to him. Communication really is key, I am still surprised how well it works out sometimes. If it doesnt work, then you dont have much of a choice but to move out, or kick him out. I suppose I wish you luck for that CA position?

I used to hang out with these friends at the CEGEP dorms, those two were awesome. One was the mature girl who takes care of room where the other one is a party girl. Even though they are opposites, the mature one still knows how to party and the party girl knows when to be serious. Still, the stuff they do, is hilarious, could probably make a TV show out of it and blow Joey out of the water.

10. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

It was clear after the first week my roommate I didn't get along. He moved out.

Setting boundaries up front and sticking with them is the best policy.

11. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

I beg to differ--my freshman year roommate and I in college got along marvelously, actually. I doubt the fact that he was an alcoholic and I was earning the nickname "Drunk Monkey" at the time had anything to do with the ease of relations between us, either. Honestly.

No, in all fairness he and I are still great friends. We just totally lucked out.

12. Fallen_62

Sorry Todd, they still make us pay to have our x-boxes connected to the network to play H2. I dont have my XBox to play it anyway :p And what they do is this: My roomie has his xbox hooked up to his computer monitor so he can play on that while the ohters play on my xbox. He also has a router in here, so they just hook up through that.

And thanks for the advice guys. I will prolly just talk with him. Today he was talking to me like nothing was wrong yesterday, so i think it will be all right. Oh, and FYI, he was my best friend in High School.

I told him that if I do anything that bothers him to tell me and I will try and stop doing it. I also told him that if he doesnt want my GF to spend the night some time when he is here to let me know and she wont. Im trying to be nice and open and all that stuff, but he hasnt said anything to me about stuff I dont like that he does, etc.

The only time I had my GF over here I asked permission from him for her to be here, and when I have friends in teh room, I ask his permission. He, on the other hand, doesnt ask until there are 3 or 4 people in the room, then says "Mind if we play Halo in here?" I dont really have much of a choice now, do I? Same thing with his GF... I have a cell phone, as do they. Plus we have a board on our door. If Stacy is spending the night, at least call me and let me know or call me to ask instead of me walking in and wanting to go on the computer only to find the two sleepin on the futon and I cant get to my computer, nor would I wanna wake them up.

We did have a small talk about halo because they thought I was mad once that they were all here. I said i dont mind most of the time, but if I want to use my xbox or do homework or something, i dont want a ton of people in here, or any at all cides me, him, and the respective gf's. I guess he took it either the wrong way or didnt really pay attention to anything other than the "most of the time" part.

So yea... guess I will talk with him some time about all this. Thanks again all for the info.

13. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

kick his GF and sleep with his dog.

14. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

I'm not going to get into my Psycho roommmate stories. I've had bad roommate experience in my past and I don't have the time right now to write it all out.

I would suggest being straight up about your X-box, especially since it's something concrete. Tell him your requirements for using it (returning it when he's done), and if he abuses it, take away his privilages. If someone can't respect you enough to respect your property, don't let him use your things.

The girlfriend thing sounds like it has something emotional behind it. It isn't as concrete as your X-Box so I'm not going to read into the situation. Your roommate obviously has some issue lying beneath the actual situation, which will make it much harder to get to the root of the issue.

15. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Usually about $20 worth of nickles in a sock to the base of the brain stem works wonders for me.

16. Fallen_62

I know this may be dead, but I just wanted those who were wondering to know that I got a CA position. So, basically, I will be the "mod" of the floor (along with one other person). I also get a free single room and free meal plan, but I still have to pay tuition. All in all, this week couldnt have ended better, since I was told that I also have an opportunity to go to E3 this year ;) I have my finals moved around and everything so I can go.

This has been one hell of a good week for me (aside from that little problem above).

17. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Hey Fallen, I forgot all about this little blog I set up a while back to complain about a jerk who had sorta moved himself in with me for a few weeks. My friends enjoyed my rants but I was squeamish about sending them out over email lest they get back to the guy, so here was my solution.

Beware, some mature language in there somewhere. And by the way, for best enjoyment, start in the archives with the first entries and work your way from there. It starts in September and ends in October.

http://selfdeclaredroommate.************/

18. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

You must have really big feet 400 nickels takes up quite a bit of room. Oh and do you use Fruit of the Loom? I use Hanes and they always rip after about 150 nickels and a good swing.

19. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Whatever happened to bars of soap?

20. Fallen_62

I have read the first one, and I must say that I like the random thoughts and stuff you had at the beginning and end. I like the detail in which you describe how much you hate him, too :p Fun stuff. *goes back to reading*