Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How many hits for a good Frozen Orb?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Forbiddian, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Forbiddian

Forbiddian IncGamers Member

How many hits for a good Frozen Orb?

Ditto, i.e. against one monster, how many shards do you expect will hit it?

(Cast the Frozen Orb right through him so it explodes one pixel behind him, and the monster is of reasonable size, i.e. a boss).

2. Icarus

Icarus IncGamers Member

one page back:

http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=159261

3. Forbiddian

Nice.

I searched for Frozen Orb... forgot about FO and stuff (although I think that'd be under the character limit).

So if you land the explosion right on him, it'll blow up and ALL the shards from the explosion will hit him (assuming that he's pretty big).

I've always thought that you need to land the explosion just behind him (then about a third of the explosion shards would hit him).

But hmm... gotta test it, I'll edit in the results in a minute.

EDIT: yea, I think that it would work against really big guys.

I nailed Meph with the orb (so it was EXACTLY on him) and only 3-4 shards came out of the explosion (implying that Meph was hit with 12 or 13 shards).

I think that landing them all is possible, but that'd be a hell of a shot.

4. Icarus

Icarus IncGamers Member

that's the best way to kill bosses and individual monsters; stand a ways away and launch the orb so it explodes while inside of them. it's easier if the enemy you're fighting is bigger. i.e. boss monsters or monsters like urdars, those tree things in act3.

5. wind

wind IncGamers Member

Just get it anywhere near a Black Soul or two and their dead. :thumbsup:

6. Forbiddian

It looks like I'm getting more damage when I have the orb explode just behind the monster. This is probably because many regular monsters (e.g. cows) are too small to be hit with all of the shards, so many of the shards end up missing, and it would be better to have the orb land in front of the guy.

Tomorrow, I'm going to get a bunch of consecutive screenshots of me casting a Frozen Orb and photoshop (or MS Paint) in lines to see where all of the little shards go.

I think that because a "perfect" shot of all 16 shards hitting a bad guy (even a prime evil) is so unlikely given the fact that they move, and we miss, etc. and because if you miss the "perfect shot attemp" short, he only gets hit by 4-5 shards, I'd say that aiming to explode the orb just behind it would be the best plan of attack.

This virtually guarantees ~10-12 shards landing, maybe even more.

That's half the damage of a perfect orb, but it's also double the damage of a missed perfect orb.