Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How many damage types should a SP PVM assassin have?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by FrolfFreak, Mar 4, 2004.

1. FrolfFreak

FrolfFreak IncGamers Member

How many damage types should a SP PVM assassin have?

I'm playing YT, my assassin (currently just TS/Dtail), with the goal of being able to play Hell easily/somewhat easily/not die all the time and be able to kill things fairly efficiently. She's only lvl 33 right now, with only TS close to being maxed out. I'm thinking to eventually max either the PS/CoT or LS/DS combo to get a good source of lightning elemental damage. How concerned should i be with getting a second elemental damage source type to deal with the possibility of PI/LI monsters? How often do those come up anyway?

Somethings to please keep in mind if you would like to help this newbie out:

1) I'm playing only single-player solo right now, and not really keen on the idea of trading.

2) I would like to minimize the amount of running away from monsters i can't deal with, maybe eliminate this possibility altogether.

3) I'd like to stay C/C if possible. One, to me that's the only way for an assassin to look. Two, Weapon Block rocks my world.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-FrolfFreak

2. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

Pure PI/LI monsters don't show up that often(except on certain Superuniques), but PI LEBS or StoneSkinned LIs, and moreso, FI/LIs(or much more commonly FI LEBs) are quite common in Hell(the Hell Council will be an absolute nightmare for you without a third element, trust me on this).

What's so important about FIs? Most of DTail's damage comes from the AoE(which is made up of Fire damage, based of the Physical damage you do with DTail. A side effect of this feature is that if you do 0 Physical damage, against for example a PI, your Fire AoE will also be 0 damage), so if you're not doing any Fire damage, don't even bother using DTail. So, effectively, you're vulnerable to 2 elements(Fire and Physical) if you're only using DTail alone.

This isn't that much of a problem if you often play in a party, but this isn't possible in SP, so IMO getting a 3rd element would be a top priority for me. max CoT/PS(with the remaining points in FoF) would be the best option to deal with pesky Immunities, IMO. The Traps require too much synergy point support(which you can't afford, given thaty 40 points are already devoted to TS/DTail) and only offer 1 more element, so they aren't cost-effective for a TS/DTail build, IMO.

3. det

det IncGamers Member

I feel that being pure melee and safe in hell contradict each other a bit :lol:

In that way my suggestion would be complete rebuild, 20 LS, 20 WoI and 20 DS (as that is a synergy to both traps). Rest in SM..and you are already high in the 80 skillpoints (if you also use Fade/BoS/MB). If you don't have great equipment, a trap build can be made on the stuff you shop IMHO

If you desperately want to keep your sin..maybe an Act 3 merc with fast cast can give you the third elemental damage? The SM can tank, you can charge up and/or deliver your kick of choice while the merc keeps everything nicely frozen. Those mercs have in fact worked for me in acts 1-3 in hell, have not used one on a character that is in act 4 or 5.

4. FrolfFreak

Thank you for the insightful responses. Right now i'm thinking that i may re-start from scratch and build "YT Mk2" around DTalon and DS/LS/WoI. A couple more questions before i tackle the project:

1) Blade Fury: If i got a nice elemental weapon and lots of elemental damage charms, would blade fury be a good source of elemental damage? If it is then i will probably skip dropping points into WoI and put them into SM or MB.

2) How damaging is maxed Dtail with 3 charges of maxed Tiger Strike on a fire-immune but non-physical-immune monster? In other words, is Dtail/TS a good source of pure physical damage? (i'm guessing probably not, but still hoping)

3) I think i read in the Assassin FAQ that WoI has trouble hitting things, or maybe just moving things. How bad is this?

Again, thank you for the help, and sorry for keep pestering you guys.

-FF

5. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

6. Naliworld

1) You may have severe AR problems in Hell with BFury, without a lot of -% Enemy Defense or ITD(which doesn't work on bosses, so you'll still have to stay away from PI or FI bosses). Also, BFury only hits one target at a time(Pierce doesn't work) - no problem with bosses, but if you're facing a pack of FIs or PIs, this could cause problems.

2) Not very. Using the example 1 in the FAQ, you'll do 3119-5097 damage(4108 avg.). Sounds decent, but keep in mind it takes more than a second to get this damage(28 frames or 1.12 seconds, to be exact) as you'll need to charge up TS, and it only applies to one monster. IMO, TS/DTail just isn't a viable Physical damage skill.

3) Pretty bad. Basically, forget about WoI unless you have a tough merc and SM that will be able to keep the critter at bay for a long while. WoI is also useless against teleporting or fast enemies.

7. FrolfFreak

Wow. Looks like i'm in for a major overhaul/rethink. So the way i see it, the following are the ways an Assassin can deal out damage:

1) Physical: This one seems easy. Dragon Talon, hands down, especially given how good it is at triggering sweet effects like Open Wounds and Crushing Blow.

2) Lightning: CoT+PS or LS+DS.

3) Poison: Guess Venom's all we got here. Is this a good option for dealing with PI+LI monsters?

4) Cold: BoI+PS. Don't see myself relying on this one since the numbers are so small.

5) Fire: So here's where i'm stuck. FoF+PS seems decent in the MA tree. Traps-wise, if WoI can't hit things, and WoF has no easy synergies, i guess all that leaves is Fire Blast? Is that a good option for fire damage against PI+LI monsters? I mean, it'd be nice, since it gives DS more shots, but the damage seems so paltry even after synergizing with LS and DS.

To recap my thoughts, if there's a good option for fire damage in the Traps tree, then i'll probably shoot for a DTalon+DS+LS+Whatever the fire trap is 'sin. Otherwise, i guess it'll have to be a DTalon+CoT+FoF+PS 'sin?

-FF

8. Naliworld

3) IMO, Venom is more of a support skill(think of it as an elemental damage version of CM) rather than full PI-killing attack, as it only attacks one target at a time(no matter what attack you use), for merely decent damage. Combined with another attack, it makes for a great supplementary damage source, though.

5) IMO, forget about FB unless you're able to max 3 other skills as synergies along with FB itself(which would require 80 points). A Trapper would be able to afford this skillpoint cost, but a Hybrid usually won't.

So, I'd go with DTalon + CoT + PS + FoF.

9. FrolfFreak

Thank you to all the good folks that took the time to answer my questions.

-FF

P.S. Sorry for the unintentional self-bump.