Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How Many Attempts for Guardian

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by krzyhobo, Jul 1, 2005.

?

Good or Bad...in your opinion.

1. Good

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

How Many Attempts for Guardian

Inspired by my many hardcore deaths.

Multiple choice allowed for beer.

edit: sorry at the first couple posters - it took me forever to get my poll working correctly.

edit^2: I do have Serdash's pants.

2. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

...I don't get it. :confused:

3. corax

corax IncGamers Member

maybe he has your pants?

I died in about 10-20 or so tourneys before i got my first and only guardian.

4. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

I'm Nightfish... :teeth: Well, yeah, first attempt, first guardian. I have to admit that it was a necromancer, though. Played him when I was rewriting my guide for the first time. Didn't use any mods at that time.

It really depends on when you start your first attempt at HC. I mean, I had spent about 6 months in hell before that so I had plenty of practice. It's a lot harder if you start HC right away since you never really have the chance to figure out how much damage your chars can take before they go down. Or rather, there's a long time between two of these tests... :D

5. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Boobies. Did you say boobies? And beer is always good, even if Durf convinced God to only give me one liver. What a meanie.

... about to try my first crack at HC when the melee blues starts tomorrow, we'll see how I make out, but I'm hoping to make Slayer on this pass.

6. corax

corax IncGamers Member

as long as there's a durf/beer/ option i am happy

7. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

UNPOSSIBLE

I have no pants.

8. corax

corax IncGamers Member

there's the dashy we know and love. none of this coherent crap.

9. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

edit: nah, forget it

edit 2: is there an award for the most number of edits in one thread?

10. Gohanman

Gohanman IncGamers Member

Let's see... I killed my first HC character back on the old SPF HC ladder. My next passing was in a trimuvarite tourney of some kind (3 characters, only maxing skill from 2 level requirements... I honestly don't recall if it was here or elsewhere (after that death, I kind of abandoned the other 2 entrants in that tourney rather than killing them)). The first two deaths were both barbs: Concentrate and Zerk, respectively.

I just recently got my first Guardian in another HC tourney, a Fire druid. The lesson? For me, keeping ranged characters alive is generally much easier than keeping melee characters alive. My SC experiences mostly agree with that assessment too.

Of course, the next HC tourney I just started is a barb tourney. So perhaps I didn't learn my lesson all that well.

11. Flamearrows

Flamearrows IncGamers Member

I killed innumerable characters in 1.07-1.09, but made it in 1.10 the first try. Or wait... I don't know, if I didn't, it was a close thing. I lost an assassin in early hell at about the same time I guardianed my sorceress. Close enough :) I'm certainly not nightfish standard... though, I submit that my hell ancients match was a little more tense than his ;)

flamearrows

12. AndiDi

AndiDi IncGamers Member

I killed my first HC character in the weaponless tourney. Or you could say, Duriel did it for me.

In the second 3-Way-Dance I killed another char on Duriel (MAzon). The other 2 chars in this tourney made Guardian. OK one was a Skellimancer, but the other was a Fanatic Zealot (I love mellee chars), but the Necro did a lot of Pit/Countess runs to provide him with good equipment.

13. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

2nd attempt for me. :)

I made a 1.09 elemental druid guardian (really tough, mind you), and was pumped about the new & improved 1.10 version. So I tried that first. He died from the FE bug at NM ancients - very important HC lesson learned!

My second attempt was an Overlord Necro (pre-Fishy guide :D ). I did that one because of the word that skellies were buffer in 1.10. As we've all found out, that build is probably the easiest to get through the game.

And yes, I voted for boobies, Durf and beer too :teeth:

14. JicamaEater

JicamaEater IncGamers Member

This is my second try, and I'm sitting pretty in Nightmare with a Sorceress. Well, that's not counting the dozens of crazy tourneys I've joined that nobody gets Guardian in...

15. Jake_b74

Jake_b74 IncGamers Member

I made guardian first try in 1.10. Altough it was a necro, but i played him untwinked. I got him up to 90, and then b.net ate him after not being played on for more then 90 days. But back in 1.09 when i was trying to start playing hc, let me tell you brother. I'd say well over 50 characters that never made it to guardian. I wanted sword barbs. But i just didnt understand why all the hype about high vit! * oh hey look, exploadie dolls in durerence!, time for ww !* Boom another one bites the dust. It takes time to get guardian, so if you are trying, just keep at it.

16. Rugruth

Rugruth IncGamers Member

The first HC char I Guardianed (errr what the verb for this...) was on 1.09 multiplaying with friends. A Concentrate barbarian :D. On that patch a barb, a druid and some elemental casters (it is a sorc and a javazon) cruised over the game.

But I voted a handful attemps since I died sometimes when playing solo hehehe.

17. Ragnarod

Ragnarod DiabloII.Net Pal

I've only made a couple of attempts at a Guardian in 1.10, for the SPF HC ladder, and none of them made it past Act 2 Hell at max... I don't think I'll try again in the near future, I don't particularly enjoy seeing all the time and effort invested in a character gone in one second, it's fustrating :mad:

18. Flamearrows

Flamearrows IncGamers Member

Personally, after playing my first HC character on battlenet, and then later converting to single player, I could never play SC again. The character felt like a toy, something I didn't need to worry about. And the first time I died with them, usually out of sheer carelessness (because it doesn't really matter if you die or not), I got bored and went back to my red preciousesss. Then I got all my friends playing HC :D It certainly ramps up the learning curve for the newbies... :)

A heritage of playing nethack probably helped here too :D

flamearrows

19. Rugruth

Rugruth IncGamers Member

When I die with a HC char, my first reaction is something like:

- Feck, y will NEVER play HC again $%&$%&$%!.

Then I start thinking about what I did wrong, if I didn't have the items needed, the resist, the fhr, the merc, the fcr... whatever... and then I start over hehehe

20. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

First try with my 1.10 guardian. I'm not NF but I followed his Fishymancer guide.