Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How long until you became a real hardcore player?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by SphynxCG, Feb 10, 2004.

1. SphynxCG

SphynxCG IncGamers Member

How long until you became a real hardcore player?

I just started playing hardcore a little over a week ago after playing d2 on and off since it was released. My first necro (fishymancer) made it to level 53 before he died to two cold enchanted boss novas. My second necro (also fishymancer) died to a pk in a trav run. One hit charge. My third and most recent necro died because I didnt take the time to read the label on an urn and it turned out to be evil.

Kind of frustrating but at the same time I don't care much. What I'm wondering is just how long did you have to play hardcore before you felt confident that you knew what you were doing? I feel confident but obviously I am not adequately prepared since I'm dying. Its just the little things - like remembering to check every urn in act 5 to see if its evil.

I dunno, just opening this one to discussion since I really don't feel like a real hardcore player at this point.

2. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

Your a HC player after your first death. As for being confident... the minute you think your doing well ; you ll die, always be on your toes

3. xxsteelxx

xxsteelxx IncGamers Member

welcome to hc :)

I found that everytime i died at first i learned some lesson that made my next char go farther. As long as u learn from your mistakes u will have alot of fun playing hc :)

4. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

If you took the loss and got back into the game to play more, you're a hardcore player. You'll gain the confidence as your item base improves and you've got a few deaths under your belt. When you get the HC spidey-sense tingle of "gee, I dunno if I can do this", that's when you need to tp back to town and think it out.

5. Blood_And_Iron

Blood_And_Iron IncGamers Member

all good replies so far

I'd add you'll have a good idea when you have your first Guardian, but hopefully it comes before that :)

And for your information, all urns are evil. The first two on the plains before you go down do not spawn anything, because they want to catch you off guard :) So if you're not equipment and ready deal with the urn, open none of them. Also your party members won't be happy you just set that Deathlord pack on them.

Good luck.

6. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

hmmm. some of the dii folks know I ride motorcycles for leasure. We have a saying, "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand." You know if you're hardcore when you won't go back to sissycore, no matter what. You know when youre hc when you build differently so that you will never die, yet know in the back of your mind that you probably will.

A very good friend of mine said all characters die, I think thats 98% true. A few of us make it to 99 and then retire. Thats a lot harder in 1.10.

Play the game like it matters. Be smart. Network with other players in hc. The folks I've met in hc are the best I'ver ever experinced. I have woken my wife when I've smacked the key board so loudly because I have just died to stupidity.

You dont feel like a hc player yet? Just keep playing. Mule often. Read the hc faqs. It wont take long. Before you know it, all you softcore characters will have expired. Welcome to HC.

7. SonOfRah

SonOfRah IncGamers Member

Well said Baalos.

I started HC about 2-3 weeks after D2 first came out, and haven't looked back since. As soon as your mindset changes from a SC to a HC one, your playing a totally new ball game.

8. det

det IncGamers Member

I played almost a year SC, but started HC still in Classic..going back to SC all the time?. The point for me, when I felt I bacame a REAL HC player? After I managed to bring a sorc to Matriarch status at lv 82 in LOD without dying. After that it was HC all the way.

Forums here and at the amazonbasin helped me greatly. I would possibly not playing LOD anymore if it was not for them.

But of course..there is always room for improvement. After the first HC SP Guardian came online play (first on open b.net, then realms, now ladder only) then the first death by PK. The next step was KTA. Of course, there is still more to do...be ON the ladder, PK myself..etc etc ;)

9. SphynxCG

SphynxCG IncGamers Member

hehe you know I was pissed for a while so I did some mf runs with my sc sorc. Then I started a sc fishymancer and started to level up in a party game and saw this one guy die over four times. I decided sc was for pansies once and for all. My newest hardcore incarnation of CuriouSkeleton is now level 22 and rising!

One great advantage to restarting all the time is that I have gotten much better at low leveling! I got from 1 to 22 in about an hour and a half in one session :)

I think I'm here to stay...only have one hc char at the moment but someday my acct will be a little more impressive :)

10. RottweilExpress

RottweilExpress IncGamers Member

I never really played SC at all. I read about the option of HC, and was instantly hooked. I had been looking for that fatal kind of gaming style for a long time before. See, I'm that kind of guy who doesn't really like the "Qsave-Qload" way of playing. I like playing "honest" through a strategic game. Just play, deal with the hardship that comes up on you. Maybe you won't reach the top rank in the end, maybe you won't even see the end at all, but you hade a challenging and exciting way to get where you did.

And yes, Baalos post was very good.

11. -=(Virus)=-

-=(Virus)=- IncGamers Member

[post deleted by ZappaFan due to profanity]

12. evils

evils IncGamers Member

wow.. that must have been a very special ss.. i love the smell of BS ;)
    (last time i checked ss was lvl76, so no go on a lvl70 necro(unless you mean stormspire, but i fail to see why anyone would use stormspire on a pvp necro))

//Johnny

13. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Indeed, i would even say only talk in town, i tried to put in a fast joke once just before dia was to spawn, it was the closest to death i ever was, never talk outside town. And rest assured, your first 20 HC chars will die for sure, and then some. Its all part of it, "to live is to die!"*

*:Clif Burton

14. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Iv'e manage to Kill my lvl 48 , lvl 46 , lvl 8 Zealots all this week and am currently on my lvl 15 zealot ... Each time I say ok - not dying this time and then blow my top when I hear my death scream !!!

15. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

God i hate when I post a long thread and the forum fails to post it and looses it!

16. Jaba

Jaba IncGamers Member

ss is lvl 73 if its the shield but nvm
    :D

17. CAPS-IOCK

CAPS-IOCK IncGamers Member

lol @ the newb making **** up..lvl 70 using stormshield hahahhaha..

18. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

Clearly, the "ss++" he refered to was his "Superior Sash, +2 Defense." ;)

19. -=(Virus)=-

-=(Virus)=- IncGamers Member

You stupid ****ing idiot, i loose everything so you laugh at me, i said i lost ss+ what i meant buy that in my stash i had ss(lvl73),tgods,arhmid sash(lvl80) [My friend looted my oak,ect. With my ss i could of got some of my gear back]
    2x 4socket monarchs 4P topaz and 4P saph, cold,lighting resist sc's.

In HCL ss is worth allot,I merealy said i lost SS+, did i ever say i was wearing ss no? maybe you should learn how to read.

20. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Well, this was a real nice thread for a while there. Well said, Baalos.

Yeah, the first 10 or 20 deaths are tough, but after a bit, you get used to it and begin to feel all warm and tingly when you see the Deeds screen. Plus, running away from evil while slowed and mashing the potion key is funny.