Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How long till hammery goodness?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Nerigazh, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Nerigazh

Nerigazh IncGamers Member

How long till hammery goodness?

Howdy folks~
    As a noob, my first two characters have been, respectively, a holy shock pally and a fishymancer. In an effort to try out some characters that require a bit more finesse but who dish out the damage, I've made a hammerdin and a sorc. (The sorc is neither here nor there for this discussion.)

I've read several hammerdin guides, and I think I understand the stat/skill progression and gear well enough (although my twinking capabilities are quite limited and will never see an enigma :sad2: )... however, my inquiry relates more to Blessed Hammer itself.

I'm level 21 now, have had hammers for a couple levels. How long did it take you to get used to them? And how much skill is really required--do you go to the trouble to aim them, or just spam them in a minefield, or do point blank?

Right now due to my limited mana pool I alternate between hammers and my melee attack for life/mana steal. The hammers are cool, I'm looking forward to getting good with them... but I'm curious as to others' experiences?

2. Lord_Alucard

Lord_Alucard IncGamers Member

If you have no problem at all with items in the game, such as a Vpiermagi and dual Sojs, Magefist ready for equip when you have the lvl, a hammerdin stats being a superkiller even in 8player games (sp) around lvl 30-35.
    As for your mana problem, chug potions =)

And with the aim, I usually start with a circle and then move up to the once I miss. Most monsters try to get close to you, so alot of FCR is to recommend. THen just start casting as they approch you and they are as good as dead.

Hope this helped

3. k/t

k/t Banned

Get 75% FCR and an Insight merc. 125% FCR is good if you can reach it without sacrificing too much.

I remember my NL Hammerdin back in 1.10. At around 30 or so I put Suicide Branch, Vipermagi, 2 SOJ, and Peasant Crown on him and he destroyed everything. I was surprised by how powerful he was. Naturally, as he gets a Spirit or Herald and a 3 Combat Skill ammy, he kills even faster. Even if you don't have SOJ, you can do just fine with middle-class uniques.

Cheap yet effective gear:

Peasant Crown/Lore
    Vipermagi/Guardian Angel
    Spirit x2, or Spirit + Wizardspike
    3 Combat Skill ammy
    Ravenfrost + Dwarf Star/FCR rings, if you need them
    Magefist/Trang if you need more FCR, Bloodfist if not
    Nat's/rare boots if you need resists, Waterwalks if not
    String of Ears/Crafted caster belt

Holy Freeze merc with Insight, Tal helm and Goldskin. Tada!

Edit: I had a little trouble in the beginning until I learned how to use the hammers. The damn things didn't go straight! But afterwards, it was easy. Too easy...

4. oneBlast

oneBlast IncGamers Member

I see you won't have enigma, so my advise is to get one raven rfor the CBF mod.
    You will need it without teleport.
    Regarding hammers - try to lure some monsters to you, then move south from them and spam some hammers, lure them some more, spam some more - rinse and repeat.

EDIT:
    if you're on EuScNL - I think I might find some spare 'nigma for you :)

5. moonlike

moonlike Banned

omg phriii :)

6. Nerigazh

A very generous offer :) I don't have any ladder characters, however... been doing SP and some tcp/ip with a friend. Which is why I mentioned my twinking capabilities are limited. I have, however, been working at getting the stuff k/t mentioned, and it's been going pretty well... I wish some stupid rings would drop though :(

I'll try the "lure south" method... hopefully I won't get myself backed into a corner!

Thank you everyone for the replies :)

7. digdig

digdig IncGamers Member

Wait for Plus Mana items

Try waiting until you can twink to play certain builds.

I started a BoneSpear Necro way back when I didn’t have much gear. It was not pretty. When Mana, and potions ran out, I switched to melee. So most of the time, he wasn’t using BoneSpear.

Recently, I started another BoneSpear Necro that was twinked every 10 levels or so with better gear. He is a ton of fun to play.

If your circumstances and play style allow for it, twink and mule. So many builds are viable with twinking that are just plain frustrating without.

Twinking, Muling, Trading, are basically limited to internet games.
    Muling – keeping all useful items in a characters storage for later use.
    Twinking – transfer items from mules to a character that uses them
    Trading – obvious, but with patience that impossible to find item is attainable

For Hammers (or BoneSpear), you need Mana++ items and Mana Regen Items.
    For regeneration to be helpful, you need a larger mana pool. So look for socketed armor, helms and put in Saphires. Look for + Mana Charms. Once you have the parts, Craft Caster items. Some low Uniques and Set items increase mana and or Energy attribute.

Dig

8. HCKull

HCKull IncGamers Member

Increase the size of your mana pool with charms, rings and other gear.

Insight polearm gives almost unlimited mana. Put one on an A2 merc and your mana problems will almost disappear.

My trapsin was a blast to play in norm and NM with insight as I could cover the world with traps and not run out of mana. I dropped the insight because I needed infinity to deal with light immunes in Hell. I dont have mana problems because I have a bunch of mana charms and they really help.

Look for rings that boost the attribute (energy?) that increases your mana pool they boost it by 3-4 times. So a +20 to energy will give +80 to mana pool.

9. TheJesus

TheJesus Banned

I have the only gear you need my freshman friend. I'm not sure about the rules on this forum though, if I'm able to post link.

10. Nerigazh

Feel free to PM me :)

So I made my first Spirit runeword shield, but it came out with only 25 fcr :( oh well, win some and lose some...

The hammers are aleady starting to be fun though! I like it when I'm surrounded and I unleash a bunch and they all fall.

A couple questions, though.
    It seems like if I'm facing northward and am pointblank with an enemy, the hammer will always hit. However, this is not necessarily true if I'm point blank facing other directions. Is this an accurate observation?
    Also, how long should it take to gamble a teleport ammy? I've gambled sooo many (mainly on my necro, but I'd like it for the hammerdin too) and no luck.

11. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy IncGamers Member

Hammer will be a little difficult at first without telejump from Enigma.

Yes, your observation of hammers is accurate. The only way to be sure you will hit them without tele is get monsters right up around your north-west area.

Teleport ammy? Not needed. You can't nearly repair fast enough for casual tele on a monster.

12. BlueDogAnchorite

BlueDogAnchorite IncGamers Member

Just load your hammerdin up with mf, you're start to find sexy goodness in no time. I could afford 350% mf with ease until I hit hell.

13. Nerigazh

Thanks everyone for your input. With your help I'm tearing through NM, it's fun :) We'll see how Hell is though. :heart: insight!!

14. k/t

k/t Banned

The amount of mana you get from each Energy point varies from class to class. For pallies it is 1.5 mana per Energy point.