Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

how long must i wait?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by PoorCobbler, Mar 19, 2005.

1. PoorCobbler

PoorCobbler IncGamers Member

how long must i wait?

i was wondering how long it took some other players out there to find their firrst godly find. ive been playing for around 6 months and the best thing ive found is a hoz at the start of the ladder.

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

That's kind of unlucky...The drop rate in 1.10 is pretty good...of course uniques won't drop at your feet quill rats won't drop 6 socketed berserker axes all the time...still with a decent amount of Magic Find...you do have Magic Find right?? you should be able to find better items than that...I've only been playing 1.10 for a month or so and have already found Aldur's Armor, Death Cleaver, Harlequinn Crest...and other pretty good items..Get some decent MF on your equipment 200% should do the trick..more is always better but 200% gives a very decent chance without hampering your killing ability too much. Also do some boss runs...Mephisto and Baal runs are good also Pindleskin is very easy to reach and relatively easy too kill...just beware of his charge...ouch. Good luck and welcome to the forums:)

3. PoorCobbler

Thanks for the reply
    My sorc has around 350 mf and she runs andy meph pindle and eldrich over and over her gear is
    Ptopaz shako
    vipermagi
    occy
    mosers with 2pdiamonds
    tal ammy
    30 and 25 nagel
    42 travs
    a few 7 mfsc and a 40 gheeds :thumbsup:

i used to run with a gull and a rhyme and a skulders but i cant see a difference in the drops with my current mf.

4. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

I played for at least 4 years... Best find ever was a Tgods.

I just didn't have the touch......

Thank god for trading Pgems and Chipped.

5. corax

corax IncGamers Member

a HoZ is pretty good. ive been playing for years and only ever found 2 of them.

6. PoorCobbler

i know that a hoz is a great find but ive got friends who seem to find things like eth valors and coa's on regular occasions :confused:

7. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

Getting good items is not so hard with a decent MFer but there is one thing you need above all and it's persistence......That's the key word.

8. lonnie913

lonnie913 IncGamers Member

on regualr occasions??? geez. i dont think theres any way to get that to happen.

9. Emerald Dragon

Emerald Dragon IncGamers Member

My friend has an ik barb that he used to kill meph.

Now he is complaining that he never finds anything (He has about 200% mf in total), and that a month ago, he was finding tons of stuff with the same items.

He is firmly convinced something changed, and doesnt really play anymore.

It is all about luck.

I found a Lo rune in a 3 player game from a hell cow. 7th cow i killed dropped the Lo. The odds of that happening? I had better chances getting struck by lightning.

10. teck21

teck21 IncGamers Member

Wurmer couldn't be more right. Lots of MF work will do the trick, always.

Pack a decent amount, and do lots of runs if you want to get nice stuff.

I used to MF like crazy in 09 (and found every single unique and set item bar 5).

Have just recently embarked upon 1.10 and am finally starting to MF seriously because I have only just managed to create a sorc that can solo Baal at good speed, although it does take a fair bit longer than 09. :)

Emarald Dragon is totally wrong. Finding the odd good item here and there is all about luck. Finding good items on a regular basis (not necessarily godly, finding a Tyrael's Might definitely involves luck) is nothing, aboslutely nothing but carrying decent MF and doing ALOT of runs.

People will complain that we aren't 'playing' the game. Who cares? No rulebook says the game 'must' be played in any certain way, except fairly(ish) of course.

And Chimaira is right too, the drop rates in 1.10 are shockingly good.

PoorCobbler, do not give up if you want to find good items. Count yourself to 1000 Meph runs, and you WILL see yourself rewarded. Do try to move on to the latter parts of Act 5 though. The rewards there are much greater.

Sometimes one can go 30 Baal/Pindle/Meph runs and get nothing, then log on to do just 1 in a spare minute or so and get something really good. It looks like luck, but it's not.

Baal for example has a pretty fixed chance of dropping any given item each run. Just take into account how many items that can drop you'd want to keep. If more runs does not equal more drops, someone please tell me what does?

Sorry about my rant! :)

teck

PS Just don't go MFing if all you want to find are Tyrael's Mights though! :)

11. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

Acutally it is luck. All your doing is increasing your chances of getting lucky by doing all of those runs. The more you increase your chance the better chance you have for a drop.

If it wasnt about luck then every xxx amount of times you killed meph then a CoA or dc would drop. But that isnt the case. First ladder season I found 4 ss's before I found the whistans shield i was looking for.

Anyways .... like everyone said above more or less .... just get decent mfing and be persistent in mfing and you will find items.

For me the way I did it when i started ladder is i didnt allow myself to make more than one char on ladder for like the first 4 months. This meant that when i played on ladder i had to mf .. or lvl and i just kept gathering wealth since i only had to equip one character. I suggest doing this .. might get semi-boring but in the end all the characters you''ll be able to equip will make it worth it.

12. PoorCobbler

hmm thanks for all the replies
    do you think having 450 mf or 300 mf and having way higher resists is better?

13. teck21

teck21 IncGamers Member

If you read my post and understand it, my point is that:

1) EXACTLY what one gets is based on luck on any run or given number of runs (whether one gets a pair of war travellers, Crown of Ages or simply pure crap)
    2) But do thousands and thousands of runs, and one WILL always get more of everything eventually except the toughest to find items

The bottom line is: whether one finds items as a matter of luck is dependent on one's style of play.

People who just love to quest will find items largely a funsction of luck. pure dedicated MFers like myself do not ascribe any of what we find to lady luck at all (unless, as I always stress, we find Tyrael's Might).

Most people fall somewhere in between though.

My only gripe is people who do ten runs and give up, then complain that they find nothing because their luck is bad.

As in life, what one gets out of MF is how much one puts into it. More and less whining = More, Less and more whining = Less. Period.

That qute simply is the mechanics of MF.

I have no doubt that there are a few seriously lucky people who may *consistently* find godly items without doing any MF (although I suspect that these successes are more often than not the result of selective memory). There are also some people who strike lottery of millions all at once.

We do not expect to win this sort of lottery, why should one expect to find godly items without actually looking for them?

14. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

I personally like 300 .... i find if im around 300ish mf i find more. But thats just me .... and being suspicious.

15. teck21

teck21 IncGamers Member

'do you think having 450 mf or 300 mf and having way higher resists is better?'

I am a dedicated Baal MFer and carry about 490mf at point of death. That's plenty.

The only rule that applies when talking about the amount of MF is as much as possible without compromising any killing power.

If your speed with 500 mf is the same as with 400, you wouldn't go with 400 obviously. But if you find it takes you an extra 2 minutes per kill with 500, it is way better to go with 400.

Once a decentish amount of MF is reached, the most important thing is to kill Meph/Baal/whatever alot. :) I have always packed quite a bit since 09, but I figure 200+ is pretty good already.

Personally I find players who let their mercs get the final blow for an extra 30 MF or so silly. Kill quick and kill often is way better. :)

Just bear in mind though that my advice is based on my own MF philosophy: which is: Kill Baal till your eys sag, then kill him some more till they pop out! :)

You just gotta find your own balance.

16. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Magic find, with respect to rares, sets and uniques, is subject to dimishing returns.

True MF = MF*A/(MF+A)

A=250 for uniques
    A=500 for set items
    A=600 for rares
    A=infinite for magical items, so A/(MF+A)=1 and MF is unchanged

That means at about 300-400%MF, further increases in MF won't improve your chances or uniques by that much. It also means that MF is capped at the respective value of A, as the term MF/(MF+A) is always lower than 1, no matter how much MF you have.

My MF sorc has about 300%MF, and perhaps 150% more when she switches to Ali Baba plus Rhyme for the killing blow and her merc has another 250 or so (added to my MF for his own kills). In comparison with my sorcs from the previous season, where I had one specialized on Meph and one for Pindle, both with much more MF, I didn't notice a difference.

17. Lensor

Lensor Banned

I am beginning to think that when a character is created, it gets a hidden basic luck parameter... I know, totally supersticious, but. My present strafer bowazon is just incredibly lucky. I have not at all done that many runs with her (mostly do pitruns) and she has a mere 34%mf. Anyway, she has found a high-def Tal armor, 2 vex, 1 um, 26% Maras, Nat claw, superior eth 5os great polearm etc (yes I know mf do not matter for runes). The Tal and one vex was found in the same day, on just about five runs.

I guess what I want to say is, if you are not a dedicated mf-er doing endless bossruns, luck is everything.

18. chrisng

chrisng IncGamers Member

In my opinion, I don't think you should even bother trying to find uniques. My dumb fat barb has like 100+%MF from Engima and Gheeds, and that's it. You won't get rich on uniques, and I haven't made only godly finds on BNet worthy for me to remember. I just find socketables / easily tradeable items / runes and I just hope I meet a desperate/stupid person and make a excellent trade. And that happens REALLY often

19. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

If it makes you feel better, I've never found a hoz. Though I did find a pair of 14/15 eth treks a few weeks ago in a meph run. It all depends on how many runs you do. Meph has more items that drop than pindle, but pindle is easier and faster to get to. One thing I've seen though is that the steps to durance lvl 3 are almost always clockwise of the wp, which has helped me improve my run speeds alot. I currently have like 660% mf on my sorc, but I don't see too much of a difference over when she had like 450; few more rares maybe. But then again I had a uniq ring drop in act 1 blood moor in hell with my necro who has 59% mf last night. It all comes down to how much you play, and how fast you get to the boss you're mfing.

20. exhibit_a

exhibit_a IncGamers Member

I just started ladder a week ago after a long time of NL.

It was fun to start fresh.

I can prove it's all about luck. Using a skellimancer w/ just a 2 chippie topaz helm, my first unique drop happened ACT 1, normal, tamoe highlands (or there abouts)

A 29 nagel :)

Just proof that luck wanted this char to be a MF'er :)

Running norm meph for my chancies now.. no luck yet, but it will be soon :)