Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How long do you know someone before you trust them enough for xfering and such?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by diablo loves donutz, Nov 10, 2006.

1. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

How long do you know someone before you trust them enough for xfering and such?

I'm making this thread out of curiosity of how everyone here judges everyone else :rolleyes:

My friends list contains about half bnet friends and have dii friends. With dii friends, they're's probably not even an arguement there. I've xfered dozens of times with complete strangers from Dii that I make trades with, but that's becasue everyone here is cool and legit :thumbsup:

But I was just wondering, for those of you with bnet friends, how exactly you trust someone when it comes to xfering?

Do you guys have a set quota time, after which you've been friends with, in which you can then xfer with that person or do you go by a different method, such as gradually doing minor xfers until you can trust them?

I usually judge by the person and how they act, it really relates to their style of playing and how trustworthy they are. For instance:

I have a friend who I've only known for about a week, but I can plainly see his legitness. It's obviuous that while although he's not rich, he's still quite optimistic about everything, and we still have loads of fun. I can't quite explain it, but I'm sure some of you can understand, but you just know when someone is trustworty and fair. I know that my friend is, especially since I was able to xfer my entire bvc setup through the game he held for me, and he never took anything or if I dropped something to show to him, he looked at it, said "Sweet" or "Nice" and then handed it back.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone can relate or maybe wants to tell us the opposite affects of what could happen lol.

-Donutz

2. BloZ

BloZ IncGamers Member

I can hardly trust people online since I'm so paranoiac.
    It takes time to gain my trust, unless I know the other person in real life.

However, for some reason, I trust people on these forums... :wink3:

3. ispankpigeons

ispankpigeons IncGamers Member

you can generally tell by their playing style.

if you do a private run together, and the new dude rushes forward and grabs up everything, he's probably not trustworthy.

i'd want one who sits back, sees what dropped, and goes "lame".

you know?

also helps me trust a person when they xfer first, without even considering that I might take their stuff. Someone with that kind of inherent trust(gullibility? :p), is usually pretty trustworthy themselves.

4. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

I have friends on my f list that I've known for years, and I trust them wholeheartedly. I also have friends from this site, and I trust them too. :laugh:
    But if I were to make a new friend, I would wait about ~3 months before muling anything expensive with that person. Of course, it's just a rough "guide"; other circumstances affect trustworthiness too.

5. gorash

gorash IncGamers Member

i have ended up trusting more ppl on my f list if not all as well as random trades i do if no one on my f list is on at that time, because i was trusted quite a bit if not a lot when i played, even random ppl on forum would msg me for a xfer when they haven't traded with me and such. but mostly i would just /w someone on my f list.

6. Z-Suijin

Z-Suijin IncGamers Member

I have a second computer running D2 so i dont really have a problem muling, however if i was to meet someone and we played together alot then after 3-4 months if they were trustworth and honest then i would ask the person to help me transfer.

I would more them likly however not drop any of my more expensive items to start but kind of work my way up there.

Z-Suijin

7. bruticus

bruticus IncGamers Member

generally people from this site are very trustworthy.

i rarely trust someone from bnet to mule items with them in game, unless i know they're either a) rich, or b) don't care. if they're nice enough to help you out with items or quests, they're probably trustworthy enough to mule with.

if they're all "a/s/l i'm 12 omg u hab kids r u a girl!!oneone" then i never drop anything. ever. :cool:

8. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

I have 2 comps and 2 copies of D2 also and muling is a breeze. I usually have them running at the same time since I typically play after my family has gone to sleep. I haven't asked someone to help me mule in years. I see it as laziness on my part, especially with the 2 comps.

Trust...hmmmmmm.

My first level of trust would be a basic mule or drop trade, which I've done here and on other forums over the years. Some mule trades took longer to complete than others, but I've never had a problem.

My second level of trust would involve me helping them with quests (I don't rush, ever!) or letting them try on gear.

My final D2 level of trust I would feel comfortable giving my best unused items for their use, better than rotting away in my storehouses, marching towards expiration. Heck, it's all virtual anyway.

Under no circumstances would I EVER give anyone my passwords. No matter HOW much I trust them. My wife...maybe...NAH!:wink2:

9. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

One week. After a week of speaking with someone, I generally have a good enough feel of whether I can trust them or not. I've had situations where I transferred a few small items with someone I'd met that day. But I never start with anything big. For example, I'll start transferring a few rals and pgems, and the like. If they all arrive just fine, I will feel alright transferring a few other things. Eventually I build my way up to full trust... I have three friends on my list I'd trust transferring absolutely anything with, after six years of playing.

10. jakotaco

jakotaco IncGamers Member

Seeing as SirDooFuss has a presidential quote as his signature (is it real?)
    I'll go ask some president what they'll say...

Be courteous to all, but intimate with few; and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    -George Washington

other than that: "trust your instincts" you'll know when to trust someone.

11. k/t

k/t Banned

Shows how much you know about history. Franklin was never president.

12. nicro tower

nicro tower Diablo: IncGamers Member

hmmm i xfered with a friend i met the day before... lol he seemed trustworthy, and he was... actually ive done that several times before

13. MysticDragon

MysticDragon IncGamers Member

I can always get someone to xfer for me. Most of my f list are real life friends.

14. unslayer

unslayer IncGamers Member

i think it depends on everyone's past experiences. the more you were bitten in the past, the more you raise shields and is harder for other people to get your trust.

i used to mule alone (perming the game) or with RL friends. now i have 2 pcs and i bring up my mules when i'm with f-list-strangers. i never drop anything unless it's something i don't care about.
    i know i can be trusted (<-silly to say) but i don't trust other people very easily. or to say it in another way: i'm never surprised if someone betray my trust on him/her.

the other day i was in a game after a trade with someone from this forum and he asked me to wait for him to mule. the game wasn't permed and he dropped a torch.. what if b.net decided to close the game? yep, what if? :p
    but b.net was kind with us ;P

a very good read on this matter can be the famous "the big scam", taking place in the eve-online universe :)

15. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

Actually, I've done quite a few XFers with BNet buddies, and on the most part I only have to know them for, like Quietus, about a week or so.

Now the only problem I've ever had trusting people and being let down is actually from this forum...there are probably 3-5 people that know who I'm takling about, and I won't name names, but I know that from now on I will no longer consider being from these forums a reason for trust.

@k/t: Yah, figured that out myself that hard way...
    of course, I'm awesome...:stuckup:

16. k/t

k/t Banned

Of course not. People don't have to pass tests in order to become a member here, so watch yourself. You never know who you're dealing with. If you're gonna trust someone from here, make sure it's someone that's generally well regarded.

17. IntelligentX

IntelligentX IncGamers Member

So you better don't trust bnet again, as it steals your firelizards.

18. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

Ha Ha!

Usually it's Alexander Hamilton that gets mistakenly identified as a president. Then there's George W. Bush... oops, sorry!:lipsrsealed:

19. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

Well I'm pretty sure Franklin held no political office, while Hamilton was Secretary of the Treasurer I think.

No comment on Bush...lol

20. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

You're just begging to be jacked....