Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

how is damage reduction calculated?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by FlakyBizcuit, Nov 20, 2006.

1. FlakyBizcuit

FlakyBizcuit IncGamers Member

how is damage reduction calculated?

i know it is possible to get 100% damage reduction with verdungos and ber runes if you add it all up, but i dont think it is calculated that way.

i assume the percentage increases by the amount remaining, so if you have an item with 10% reduction, there will be 90% remaining, so another 10% reduction would only count as 9%.

does anyone know exactly how it is calculated?
    is it possible to actually achieve 100% damage reduction, making you immune to physical attacks?

2. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

The calculation is simply adding them up together as you initially did, but the result is then capped at 50%, so it's not possible for 100% damage reduction.

3. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

If it worked the way you propose then there would have to be a fixed order that the items' PDR% was calculated.

Also, straight "- damage" is factored first, followed by PDR by %. With 50% resist and lots of -damage you can become invulnerable to some attacks.

4. scottrick49

scottrick49 IncGamers Member

It does not work multiplicatively, but additively. It is capped at 50%, though, as mentioned above.

It is possible to become immune to most physical attacks, but with straight damage reduction, not % damage reduction.

5. FlakyBizcuit

FlakyBizcuit IncGamers Member

thanks a lot guys that really cleared things up for me