How important is AR really?

GargonCerlan

Diabloii.Net Member
How important is AR really?

Speaking from a PvM perspective only, do you really need to have as much attack rating as possible when using an ITD weapon such as grief? Can you get by without using angelic's combo, max/ar/life charms, etc and still have 95% chance to hit monsters (assuming you are in an appropriate area for your level) I have no interest in PvP, but I do understand the need for AR there, and almost all threads seem to lean towards that respect of the game. Anyone have any experience or comments about this?

GargonCerlan :drink:

Superhal

Diabloii.Net Member
you can pretty much ignore ar for pvm unless you are using a main attack skill at lower than max. for most melee/missile attack skills, ar comes with the skills, and almost all that i have seen give around 70% vs bosses in hell. if you make chars with max block with stormshield and ravenfrost, that means around 200 dex, which is very substantial.

there are other tricks as well. for example, zon's multishot appears to give a much higher ar because of the way it works. if several arrows pass through a monster, and one fails to hit, the 2nd gets a chance, then the 3rd, etc. almost guaranteeing a hit.

conversely, the game is so messed up at the moment even if you had 100% chance to hit, you would still miss around half vs bosses because of their hidden blocking.

thegiantturtle

Diabloii.Net Member
ITD does not affect bosses, so you might want to have some AR gear you can slap on for them (note, eth runes do affect bosses). Otherwise, ITD is pretty sweet.

sangfagel

Diabloii.Net Member
You can check for exact "chance to hit" formula in " Facts and formulae archive". Your attack rating vs defender´s armour rating is taken in account. Even difference between your and monsters lvl is of importance - big on low lvls and allmost non on very high lvls.
As said before, boss monsters have "hidden" block - if you see on your lying character screen that you have 70% hance to hit Duriel, it is... just a lie :D
Attack rating IS important imo. According to my experience in pvm, ~6k is OK. More is better but - it works as diminishing returns of mf - you need more and more ar for every next 1% chance to hit. Having 20k attack rating makes little sense if you must offer something other important for your char.

sangfagel

Diabloii.Net Member
Harleyquin said:
I think because of the chance to hit formula that you need less AR per level as you level up...
Only if you fight low lvl monsters and discrepancy between lvls is preatty big. On higher lvls it practically does not matter.
Realation between attacker´s attack rating and defenders defense rating is most important. Chance to block/avoid are computed only AFTER hit was rolled.

Herald of Doom

Diabloii.Net Member
8K is a nice figure. Gives decent chance to hit in Baalruns. Can be done with base dex, two ravens and a beast ;)

HoD

Superhal

Diabloii.Net Member
mr.dines said:
So if you are using conviction aura 4k should be enough? It should give -1xx% def
conviction does nothing for phys damage or ar.

re ar: i usually am happy with @4-5k pvm.

mr.dines

Diabloii.Net Member
I know that conviction dont boost ar, but as it lowers enemy defence by around -100% i assume that u would need a lot less ar to hit properly.

lCE

Diabloii.Net Member
Using conviction u can get by with really low AR since it reduces defenses of monsters to almost zero. (Monsters dont usually have % enhanced defense thats why it works so well in pvm).

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Even with pretty low level conviction, I think just one eth rune in tandem with conviction would set monster defense to a negative value (or would that be zero?) so that you would always hit except for the 5% which never hits.

I don't actually know if eth runes and conviction stacks that way, but since multiple eths do, I just assume that conviction works that way.