Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

how important is a merc if i dont have good gear for him?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by smf, Mar 31, 2004.

1. smf

smf IncGamers Member

how important is a merc if i dont have good gear for him?

ive got a lvl 77 wind druid that i play and he doesnt' have a merc. i figured since i dont have very good gear for me, much less my merc, there's no point in getting him as he will end up dying a lot. should i wait till i can outfit him with decent equipment or just go ahead and spring for one now?

(us east, non-ladder, softcore)

2. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

If you are playing a elemental druid a merc will help you tremendously if he can tank some monsters but if you play with a melee build it isn't neccesary.

Merc is good for breaking up big mobs and leaving you with a manageable number of monsters to deal with. I am dirt poor and still I manage to keep my merc up in most places. I just gamble a circlet with life leech and slap on any armor I happen to pick up and upgrade his weapon mainly by gambling, or finding something during my adventures. If you are doing pit runs or most of hell for that matter, it will be hard to keep him alive with what you find unless you are lucky. I'd say do some Mf and trade for a nice pointy stick.

Good luck!

3. smf

smf IncGamers Member

thanks for the advice.. im completely ignorant of which pointy sticks are the good pointy sticks.. what should i be looking for?

and could you point me to a good guide on gambling items? i tried a search but it returned a bunch of random things.

4. Forcefeedback

About the pointy sticks...

Since you are allready clvl 77, you can gamble polearms for cryptic axes.
    33-150 Damage
    65 Durability
    Str Req: 165
    Dex Req: 103
    Item Level: 61
    Clvl Req: 53
    speed: 10
    range: 4

or if you're merc has enough dex, voulges for threshers.
    12-141 Damage
    65 Durability
    Str Req: 152
    Dex Req: 118
    Item Level: 65
    Clvl Req: 57
    speed: -10
    range: 2

or any other polearms or spears for that matter as long as it has(or other gear has these):
    1. damage
    2. speed
    3. life leach
    4. open wounds or poison to negate regeneration

Or you could pick up a ethereal socketed or magical one and cube a fresh one. (3 normal gems and a socketed(can also be socketed magical) weapon and 3 flawless gems and a magical weapon(can also be socketed magical))

Didn't find a gambling guide, but my advice would be to use your highest clvl char to get some sweet mods on those rares.(Cruel Grandmasters of Quickness Lampfrey would be godly)

Don't take my advice too seriously, I'm no pro.

5. junglejim

junglejim IncGamers Member

If you're rich
    Doom (rune word)
    Reaper's Toll

If you're poor try something with good life leech. The damage it does isn't that important, since you'll be killing things far faster than he will. You just want him to stay alive and draw the critters off of you.

If you can level him up his natural resistances will be good without resis from his equipment.

So physical damage reduction in his gear is good too (ala Shaftstop).

6. smf

smf IncGamers Member

ok.. so i have a lvl ** pally .. walk me through the process of gambling up an item .. do i just go to a vendor, select 'gamble' and click on a pointy stick and hope it's a good one? should i gamble in hell or nm or does it not matter? does the act i gamble in matter ?

7. Forcefeedback

Are you pulling my leg? April fools day.

If you really are serious, it shouldn't matter where you gamble as the process (as far as I know) is only level dependant. The chance to get elite(hell version) items is somewhere around 10% so don't be dismayed if you get a lot of normal or exceptional versions, just keep trying. And if you happen to get a really sweet rare, you can upgrade it(exceptional to elite only works on sp and ladder).

1 Ort Rune (#9)
    + 1 Amn Rune (#11)
    + Perfect Sapphire
    + basic rare weapon
    Exceptionals the Rare Weapon

1 Lum Rune (#17)
    + 1 Pul Rune (#21)
    + Perfect Emerald
    + Exceptional unique weapon
    Ladder Recipe
    Elites the Unique Weapon

These recipes upgrade the item type without changing the Rare mods, just the base item stats stats.

See here for requirements and what you should gamble for polearms.

See here for requirements and what you should gamble for spears.

If you still have problems, feel free to drop a line.