Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How important are resist to a pvp bowazon

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by NickaliskTrent, May 19, 2008.

1. NickaliskTrent

NickaliskTrent Banned

How important are resist to a pvp bowazon

I figure even if I got perfect 5resist/frw charms I still wouldn't have "stacked" resist (at least not deep enough to matter for convict/coldmastery)

So how important are resists for a bowazon in pvp?

Should I get the 5resist frw charms or scrap resists and go with frw and max dmg?

2. TienJe

TienJe IncGamers Member

Re: How important are resist to a pvp bowazon

get max res for fire and lightning for whatever difficulty you are dueling in. don't worry about stacking against -res.

3. NickaliskTrent

NickaliskTrent Banned

So if my resists are about 0 in hell, should I be getting 20 resist/3 frw charms until I reach my desired frw and resist... or should I just go with ****ty res and get 3frw/20ar/3 max dmg charms?

4. TienJe

TienJe IncGamers Member

get some stat'd tri res boots, and then add res life/frw scs to max out the res.

switch out the boots for travs when you don't need the res.

5. NickaliskTrent

NickaliskTrent Banned

thanks! I have one additional question, I'm sitting at level 87 right now with 70 stat points unused, but so far i've been going all dex with no points in str or vita.

Should I just pour the rest into dex, or get some vita?

I figured if I used frw resist and 20life 5 resist charms in my inventory I could go all dex. Is this more efficient than putting points into vita and getting 3 max/frw charms instead?

6. TienJe

TienJe IncGamers Member

i've always tried to hit 1.4k life with ~175 frw on my zons

7. NickaliskTrent

NickaliskTrent Banned

how many points did you spend in vita?

8. SlainByPain

SlainByPain IncGamers Member

You can go 3 ways with resists:

none - glass cannon
    max fire/light/and cold with SS switch (not stacked) - this will allow you to survive things like fireball,traps, and hurricane better
    stacked - this will allow you to survive all elemental skills

It really depends on how you duel, and TienJe's idea would certainly work.

Items to help out with resists:

prism circlet of speed (2 os) 2x 15res/15ias
    kiras(40/15 or 15res/15ias)
    rings (you can have 2x with resists if you use kiras)
    gloves (limited if you're using faith)
    charms (obvious)

Tri-res boots are actually a bad option because switching out 8x max/ar/life for 8x life/res and keeping travs will give you more damage at the cost of 5% frw and 10 life. The +15 min from travs is especially big.

9. TienJe

TienJe IncGamers Member

if you're doing a numerical comparison of the two setups, we should point out that 8 x 3max scs = +24 max damage, which is an average increase of 12 damage, compared to an average increase of 20 from war travs. you're trading +8 average damage for the flexibility to have all max damage vs. non-elementals and the small increase in frw. the stats are basically moot because both types will give you the same number of stat points.

i guess if you're fine with switching out 8x scs instead of swapping the boots, then slain's suggestion would definitely be the better way to go, though the difference the two setups will be marginal. i could/would probably argue that the 20 fhr on the classic rare tri-res boots would probably be beneficial as well (i.e. vs trappers, which is a large portion of the time you would be using the boots), but that just complicates the comparison, and i don't think it's particularly worthwhile to include.

10. Timmy

Timmy IncGamers Member

It doesn't matter against coldmastery and conviction. Cold sorc are no problem with good running and shooting, they fail to hit all the time and if those blizzard are non-block vita then it's really easy with multi and GA. :smiley: FOH paladins is just a duel that depends on luck, you either dodge his intial FOH attack and you win, or you won't dodge it and he wins :tongue: Maybe if you could sacrifice 7fpa and ed for more resistance by using a kira + T-gods + fade + wisp but you'll probably die in 1 hit also I think if you don't dodge it, so better to stay at max speed/damage setup if you're glasscanon :tongue:

11. SlainByPain

SlainByPain IncGamers Member

Well either way, if you're building around war travs you won't be able to switch it out for a tri-res without adding in str. I think it'll be either one or the other and keeping one in stash isn't really beneficial.

My calculations were done with the assumption that you would switch in 2x max/ar/fhr charms so a classic rare with 20 fhr would be a different story (you would lose 50 life instead of 10 in order to attain the same FHR).

It's possible to attain stacked cold/light res without sacrificing TOO much, but of course it will only help against fohers/blizz sorcs + the occasional FC zon. Personally, fohers (based on luck as timmy said)/blizz sorcs (good ones with maxblock), are a problem. Blizz sorcs are especially a problem in public duels because many of them will simply AA you.

12. TienJe

TienJe IncGamers Member

you should be able to swap out your travs for res boots, since a lot of classic rares will net you ~19 str (like wraith brands on west).