Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Build] How I learned to stop worrying and love Dashing Strike

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Bredero, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Bredero

Bredero IncGamers Member

[video=youtube_share;gI_b_ImexyU]http://youtu.be/gI_b_ImexyU[/video]

I made a little video showcasing my build against some tricky mods in act 3.

I rarely see people using dashing strike but i think it is one of our best skills. Its great for surviving crazy champ combos and it is cheap enough in spirit that you can actually use it, as opposed to many of the alternative skills.

I added a second video showing some more fights and some more commentary on my approach on how to deal with tricky mobs. The forum won't let me add a second clip to the same post so I'm sorry but you will have to scroll down.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2. WhiteGiant

WhiteGiant IncGamers Member

i think the build you are using artificially drags fights out ... thus dashing strike looks like a good skill because you know you would have died in certain situation if you had not had that skill. but with a more cookie cutter-esque approach you would not have come into "sticky situations" to begin with.

that being said i think you should switch some stuff around ; obv you dont have to ... iam not a cop :X.

Eg. i use

Conviction Owerawe. its flat out 24% increase buff ; and i spend all my excess spirit on it. which makes it pretty much a permanent TOTAL dmg increase of 48%. Hard Target on the other hand only adds upon already existing multiplyer. don't get me wrong. Hard Target is the best defensive Mantra. but Owerawe does just scale better and puts your "efficiency" farther ahead in the Survivability * DPS equation.

Id rather sac my pants / Armor / Head / Belt gear slots with incredibly powerful tanky items (and trust me these slots can make you incredibly tanky) than sacking overawe for Hard Target.

I also prefer Blind ( faith ) over Heaven's breath. the 15% dmg buff is nice. but thats all it got going for it. the effective heal amount is pathetic and you'd need to make mistakes in the first place to utilize it. Blind on the other hand gives you control over the actions of your enemy and the added dmg makes it perfect for nuking down a target that is cornered or split of from the rest of the pack.

I personally also prefer Foresight over dashing strike and use it with FOT: T and the combination strike passive. that adds 30% increased sustained dps and is effectively multiplicative with Overawe. so its like your raw dps is increased by 1,3* 1,48 = 1,924

that means if your raw dps is truly 50 k dmg these 2 skills / 1 passive will increase your effective dps to about 92K probably up to ~130 k
    with Blind for 3 sec.

I would give it a shot just for kicks. also ; Deadly reach is incredibly useful for many situations.

*Kite more easily ( low risk : medium reward ) whereas FOT:T is kinda like an all in especially vs elec / molten :X
    * punch through waller affix , walls
    * exploit dumb AI and terrain eg. punch through grate doors. take advantage of stuck Monster. there are even a bunch of spots where you can deliberately lure monster into getting stuck.

Edit : typos - sorry should have re-read my post before submitting :X

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  3. Bredero

Bredero IncGamers Member

Those are some fair points whitegiant.

On conviction I agree that if i can get away with it that I'll happily run it. So that means that i run it in Act 2 solo, act 3 with a shield or when playing with a friend. If I play act 3 solo with conviction mantra whilst dual wielding i just die too often to my liking. Or I run into packs that I can't deal with which is something I hate and the reason I made this build. Once I find some armor upgrades I'll happily turn to conviction again, but it's getting harder to find decent upgrades even if you have some gold to spend.

I'll try swapping out blind faith over breath of heaven since I haven't tried that yet. It's undeniably a good skill, on hardcore I use it over sweeping wind with great success :yes:

I have used deadly reach in the past and it's not bad but it is a little too slow and clunky for my liking to run as your only spirit generator (that's probably why you don't either :)) So then you are basically using it for the damage buff and some utility. With my current build I don't need the utility since elec / molten don't give me trouble since i can get out so quickly with dashing strike.

Whilst playing monk I quickly noticed that given some half decent gear the only thing that kills you is getting stuck by illusionist / waller / jailer / chain frozen etc. Dashing strike answers all of those problems effectively.

For this video I selected some packs that tend to be difficult and that showcases the utility of dashing strike even to the casual viewer. I didn't think a video of me plowing through tons of easy packs would be as interesting but maybe I'll do a follow up video with some fights that showcase a little more finesse in the use of dashing strike and more diversity in mods.

Thanks for your response, good stuff :thumbup:

4. WhiteGiant

WhiteGiant IncGamers Member

well never switch out sweeping wind ~ its like 40-60% of your total dps depending on the situation.
    also the scenarious you just mentioned are symptoms of your low dps.

i agree that FOT is a must have because of its insane dps and LOH. but Deadly Reach gives you a positional advantage ; for all kinds of mobs. even if its just a gap filler and only 2-3 hits for a mob to move out of desecrator ; or for a wall to disappear.

for blind its the same ; you can put those ******* fleeing-mobs to a complete halt for about 2 sec (<1 sec blind + 1 sec for the ai to "reboot")

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#abYigk!UXg!acccYa this is the build i use

and this is my gear ; http://i.imgur.com/2N5gT.jpg?1 its far from perfect overall i think its worse than yours ; than again i only play like 5h per week for the last ~3 weeks. and more than anything iam twinking / goofing around with builds than actually farming. but it definitively works.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  5. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

I've been using exactly the same build as the OP on my relatively poorly geared monk, and it has been great. Cleared through a4 no problem (even though I have a pathetic 10k character sheet damage)

I love dashing strike, I used to use tempest rush, but the rubberbanding is just freaking terrible.

I swap overawe for hard target in a1/2, in a3/4 I use hard target because I just can't quite stay alive well enough without it. There's something to be said for WhiteGiant's "burn or be burned" strategy, but that assumes a minimum level of survivability. It is easy enough to simply try both mantras with your gear, in a given act, and you'll figure out pretty quick whether you can get away with overawe or not.

6. pantar

pantar IncGamers Member

i use sweeping armada where you have lashing tail kick- its my **** off button, things get too hairy- press the **** off button and i have room and time to decide what to do next.

7. Enso

Enso IncGamers Member

I've been using the same build as well and I have to admit that I severely underestimated dashing strike. I had been using blind and DS seemed like overkill in combination with thunderclap, but the result of switching blind out for DS was to instantly triple my survivability. In addition to being able to move through mobs and position yourself anywhere you want, you can also: move while jailed (very useful against jailer/desecrater), be invulnerable while moving (useful against arcane to move through beams, and against frozen if you time it for when they pop), move around walls very quickly, and escape scenarios where you're surrounded immediately. I use 2 different variations depending on how much defense I need. I use overawe and quicksilver to lower the cost of DS and spam overawe for DPS, or I use hard target and blinding speed (dodge rune) together for increased defense. When I use the latter variant, I use DS every 3 sec to keep up the dodge buff; this is both cheaper and more powerful than spamming hard target, not to mention that moving like crazy all over the place makes me very hard to corner or put in a bad spot.

Tl;DR: DS is amazing, and imho the most underrated monk skill.

8. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

When you're farming low end content (IE overawe variant) I prefer way of the falling star. No point in killing trash, and way of the falling star lets you skip trash faster. Dashing through the trash and keep on running towards that next elite pack.

9. zorroaster

zorroaster IncGamers Member

I think the main reason for dashing strike not getting more love, is that thunderclap is by far the best spirit generator. I mean best damage output, great AoE, best LOH, great spirit generation PLUS the extra mobility from teleport. I wonder how many inferno builds not using thunderclap, I don't think too many. I still like DS and use it, having a similar build as OP, only worse geared.

10. Bredero

Bredero IncGamers Member

[video=youtube;RuXvyV3vOxk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuXvyV3vOxk[/video]

Hi guys, I made a second video showing this build vs a bunch of different packs in act 3 and 4. The volume is a little low on it so might go in and fix that later. So tons of fights and I talk a little bit about how approach different packs.

Hope you guys have fun and enjoy!

PS I have used this build with Way of the hundred fists:Fists of Fury as well instead of FoT:T and it works pretty much the samel. You can really use any spirit generating skill you like and the build still works fine. I just think fist of thunder is optimal at this point.

Also I have tried a more cookie cutter / glass cannon build again just to see if I still knew what I was talking about. It worked fine against easy mobs but as soon as I ran into some real opposition I just kept getting pancaked. That's definitely not a play style for me.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012