Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How I Bested the Diablo Clone

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Islandwalk, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Islandwalk

Islandwalk IncGamers Member

How I Bested the Diablo Clone

On October 26, 2006, my level 84 hardcore fishymancer encountered and defeated the Diablo Clone. It was my first such encounter in my Diablo II career.

Background

The first time I saw “Diablo Walks the Earth†was in August of 2006. My level 75 softcore zealot (near-max Sacrifice, Zeal, Holy Shield, and Fanat; Peasant Crown, Vipermagi, Ghostflame) was gambling in the Rogue Encampment. I had read about the Clone on diabloii.net... and I was very scared. My zealot had a hard time staying alive in hell to begin with: champions and unique monsters were owning him. So I decided to leave the game quickly without venturing into the wilderness.

In September, I created a hardcore, ladder necromancer. He is the fourth necromancer in my career and the first to reach level 39. He is a fishymancer: max Raise Skel and Skel Mastery, max Corpse Explosion, max Bone Wall (for the Bone Armor synergy), and one point in Clay Golem, Summon Resist, Mages, Revives, Amp Damage, and Decrep. At the time he was wearing Peasant Crown, Trang-Oul’s Scales, Spirit Runeword Sword, Homunculus, +2 to Summoning Skills rare amulet, rare gloves and rings, Tal Rasha’s Fine Spun Cloth, and Infernostride. He employs an Act II Might merc who wears Wormskull and Smoke Runeword Armor and does ~700-2300 dmg with a rare Stygian Pike.

On October 26th, I was leisurely clearing out the Durance on a Meph run when I was forced to rejoin the game because of what I call “Cube lagâ€: I tried unsuccessfully to open my Cube while in the dungeon, and from then on, clicking on items on the ground or in my inventory would have no effect (i.e. I could not pick up items or enter a town portal, let alone open one). This has happened to me a number of times on Battle.net, and I have found that rejoining the game makes this lag go away.

The moment I rejoined, I saw “Diablo Walks the Earthâ€. I had been hoping for it a few days prior when the SoJ counter appeared, but this time no counter precluded the announcement. It sent a cold shiver down my spine, but I decided that I was ready.

Even at that point I was unsure of how to spawn him: I was under the impression that he spawns in place of any unique monster. So I headed to the Blood Moor, ready to run at the sight of him---but I encountered several non-Diablo uniques there and was able to raise my entire army (11 skeletons, 5 mages, and 10 revives), something I thought I couldn’t do before meeting him.

Disillusioned, I took a break and did some research in the diabloii.net forums. I looked for tips on how to approach the DClone with a fishy, and it was then that I learned that he spawns in place of the first super-unique monster. I also gained some valuable advice: use revived Urdars, with Crushing Blow. I believe that singular tip made my victory possible.

The Encounter

My plan was to spawn him in place of Rakanishu and use the surrounding corpses for re-raising skeletons and corpse explosion (the latter seems quite laughable, in retrospect). I decided to forgo the Urdars at first, wanting to see how I fared without them. I suspected that I could take him with just some Pit Lords and Abyss Knights from the City of the Damned.

I was sorely mistaken.

I teleported (via an ammy) to the Tristram portal, and when I got within a few yards, he Bone Prisoned the whole lot of us. That took me by surprise, but only for a second; I teleported right next to him, ran off to the side, and Decrepified him, letting my minions have a go at him. My twenty-seven minions hardly touched him. On the first run, I attributed this to half of my army being occupied with the surrounding monsters. But even on the second run, he flattened my army in seconds. He sliced through my Skeletons like butter with his lightning hose, and my weak little mages suffered a similar fate. My merc hardly survived longer against him: I kept feeding him full rejuvs, but he soon perished, and I didn’t even see his health bar drop. Finally it was my golem and a handful of Pit Lords, but they were dropping fast and making no progress. So I abandoned the attempt.

Disillusioned once again, I remembered about the Urdars and headed to the River of Flame---only to discover *no* Urdars. I decided to give it a go anyway with Pit Lords and Corpulent, and these lasted longer and did more damage against him. But still, in three or four runs, I could never take off more than one sixth of his life before my army was done for, and D would always heal back most of it. Once or twice, I even tried switching my merc’s pike with The Impaler (unique War Spear), which has Ignore Target’s Defense, Prevent Monster Heal and Open Wounds, but these attributes did not seem to have any effect. (Although I might have noticed one if my merc had lasted more than ten seconds...)

The Dream Team

Finally, I decided that I had to try Crushing Blow in one form or another. I remembered the Blunderbores from the Palace Cellar, and took the Arcane waypoint and went in through the back door. There, at last, were my Urdars, my Blunderbores. I revived a mix of Blunderbores and Horror Archers, took the wp and ran back to the Cairn Stones. (By then I wasn’t teleporting anymore---it was unnecessary and I could don a more powerful ammy.) To my surprise, I was *actually* shaving some good life off of the Clone. My skeletons still dropped like flies, but my merc and revives brought him down to below 50% life before they perished.

Reinvigorated, I rushed back to the Palace Cellar and grabbed as many Blunderbores as possible. I got a mix of Blunderbores, Invaders, and Horror Archers; along with my skeletons, I call them THE DREAM TEAM. I brought them to the Field and they simply pounded away at Diablo. Diablo, meanwhile, seemed to be concentrating more on my merc this time, and I was running low on potions and starting to worry. BUT THEN I finally got the idea to run to a nearby well and fill his life that way. I can’t believe I didn’t think of it earlier. The well healed my minions too, further cementing Diablo’s fate.

The final blows were delivered by my merc, a lightning mage (who survived miraculously), and a few revived Invaders and Blunderbores. It was a glorious victory for a level 84 necro. To commemorate his death, I took a few screenshots.

Screenshot155.jpg
    Screenshot156.jpg
    Screenshot157.jpg
    Screenshot162.jpg
    Screenshot163.jpg

The Annihilus he dropped had +1 to all skills, +16 to all attributes, +15% resist all, and +7% experience gained. From what I can tell, a solid mid-range Anni.

In Summary

My final, winning strategy:

-Decrepify
    -Re-summon clay golem as necessary
    -Use lots of Blunderbores (the key)
    -Find a nearby well to heal minions

Diablo Clone, I have bested you. :smiley:

Now then, onto the real Diablo...

2. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

let me be the first to say it:
    Congratulations! =D

edit: this reminds me why i kick myself for throwing out that hone sundan cause i thought it was 'useless'.:tongue:

3. Need a name

Need a name IncGamers Member

Congratulations. Reminds me of my first anni I got almost the exact same way with my old fishymancer. Glad to hear you stuck around to fight him, may many more annis come your way to outfit more chars.:thumbsup:

4. deademon

deademon IncGamers Member

good job...ur a better man then i...for one...being hc...then a high lvl in hc...then kill dclone and live..in hc...good job i had the same experiance as u..but softcore and with a blizz sorc...which to my supprise did rather well but i was twinked soo *pats on back* good job:thumbsup:

5. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

Congratulations from me, as well! You must have quite a nerve to take him on on Hardcore! I'm still waiting for my own chance to fight him with my level 89 softcore Fishymancer...

Just a few questions I hope you or someone else might answer:

-You had about level 27-29 RS/SM (your full Skeleton army has 11 of them). Should I expect having problems taking down Diablo with level 42 RS/SM? Or is Crushing Blow a must?
    - Does Prevent Monster Heal really not work? I knew it didn't work on the Ubers, but I always thought it did work on Diablo Clone...

6. IsThisNamePermanent

IsThisNamePermanent IncGamers Member

You're a good story teller, congratulations on the dclone.

7. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Congrats on your triumph, and kudos to your yarn weaving skills as well! I have a Zealot that can flatten him in less than 30 seconds (seriously), but I've yet to have the pleasure of his company.

I'd say 42 skellys/mastery should more that suffice. I'm thinking that's around 1000-1200 or more damage per swing, counting Might.

Poison Magi are your source of Prevent Monster Heal. Their poison damage lasts upwards of 3 minutes, despite doing pathetic damage. You only need 1 in your army for him to pin dclone with the poison. The rest can be Cold Magi to slow him to a crawl (moreso than Clay+Decrep).

I don't think the PMH mod itself works with merc weapons. Open Wounds and Poison damage both do work.

8. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Anyway PMH does not work against Dclone or Ubers so yeah only poison. And congratulations. That anni will go a long way for you to outfit your necro. Alternatively, you can keep it as a momento, like your first soj that drops on you. ;)

9. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Nice story, the fact that one mage survived kind of makes me laugh. Another place for maules is durance in act 3.

10. Gungak

Gungak IncGamers Member

This story invigorates me to carry on with my necromancer... damn you I should be doing coursework.

Anyway gratz on nice find, its so much nicer when you put alot of effort into it.

11. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

Nicely done. In hardcore too that's impressive.

I've pretty much always need to find some urdars, blunderbores or maulers in order to take him down. Though one time I tried it with cows for the heck of it and they actually did a pretty darn good job. They got him to maybe a quarter of his life before they started dieing off. I'm not sure if they have crushing blow too or what.

12. kaervek

kaervek IncGamers Member

remember your revives will die after 3 minutes, so its quite possible in this sort of fight that they died from natural causes. I know thats what happened to my revives the first time I killed hell baal (not uber but takes ages anyway)

13. bobofuzzlymunky

bobofuzzlymunky IncGamers Member

ive killed dclone 2x... once with my smiter (he was ezcake) and another time with my barb... ALMOST. -.-

Well i was in a duel game with my newest test char.. a throw barb... (doing about 5k avg dmg, using eth lacerators+ eth warshrikes... he was a very pretty character. i went afk to go do the dishes, and when i came back everyone had left... so i was like ok lets go kill shenk... RIGHT before I went thru the wp, the screen shook and the "Diablo Walks the Earth" thing came up... i decided to give it a shot... i went back to stony field, pre-buffed fade+ bo (making sure not to disturb rakanishu) and went back to shenk... so i creeped my way down there, slowly throwing itamz at the minions then dclone came running at me... he did the charge attack which hit my fort's cold armor and stopped him. I ran back a bit and realized I had cold dmg charms in my inventory and started throwing those things at him like i was getting paid for it. I got him way down (with amp casting on him constantly it was funny, also the nova's on warshrike made it a very pretty sight.) he was almost dead when 2 guys entered the game... (it, being a duel game on ladder was bound to have a smiter come in... and one did, a smiter and a sorc) they immediately saw the thing and came (im assuming they guessed where he was and came) they saw me, they went back to town, partied and hostiled me...

Chapter 2-

They came back thru the portal as I was fighting for my life from diablo+ thos demon spawn guys... and now come a lvl 89 fire sorc and a lvl 84 smiter. -.- me, being the genius I am, decided to try and fight off everyone... i turned around and randomly wung some itamz off into the distance, pwning the sorc almost instantly... the pally, on the other hand wasnt so easy, he came running towards me full bore, blocking everything I threw at him, all the while dclone punching me in the back and lighting me on fire. the pally, (using exile+ grief) easily killed me... i respawned in town and had just enuff time to run back to see the pally kill diablo and the sorc land a meteor on my head. they exited.... all that struggle for nothing. :cry:

o yea, and congrats. ^.^ sorry to steal some of your thunder.

14. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

sorry to hear that bobo =(. stuff like that reminds me why i hate bnet kids/jerks

15. bogie

bogie IncGamers Member

Sry to hear that, damn the stupid kids of bnet. Next time remember to try and spawn him where no one will look (ie. Radament).

16. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

I have heard that you should go up to the other unique that spawns north of the waypoint (eldritch maybe?), then drag him down to shenk and kill shenk with dclone on you and dclone will be killed like the rest of the monsters around shenk do. idk if it works tho cause ive never had the chance. Let me at em, let me at em! :rant: :angry:

17. Islandwalk

Quoting the 1.11 Patch info:

"Uber Diablo is no longer killed when Shenk the Overseer or Blood Raven die nearby."

:sad2:

Nice idea, but we all know it takes more than a little bad weather to bring down Big D. :wink3:

18. Islandwalk

Level 42 Raise & Mastery is enviable. But even so, I really don't know if you could take him down with just your skeletons.

According to The Arreat Summit, the Clone has 642,700 life. If your skeletons do 1200 dmg/hit as Eilo Rytyj says, and if we assume that a hit goes through, then the Clone will receive 600 dmg (because he has 50% dmg resist). On the other hand, if a Crushing Blow hits the Clone, he will lose 1/16 of his life (1/8 for bosses times 1/2 for the 50% dmg resist), which translates to 642700/16 = 40,169 dmg. Therefore, your skeletons will have to get a hit 40169/600 = 67 times as much as an Urdar gets a crushing blow, to make them equally effective. (Can anyone verify my calculations?) Let me emphasize that this is all theoretical, and that I haven't done the calculations for your skeletons' dmg. But I know from experience that crushing blow helps *a lot.*

Agreed. I wouldn't trust Prevent Monster Heal against the DClone. I've heard too many people say that it's bugged on mercs, or that the Clone is immune to it. Poison, however, seems to do the trick.

I have to say, I was surprised at first to read that Poison Mage dmg lasts for 3 mins, but the Arreat Summit confirms it. In fact, with lvl 42 Raise and Mastery, their dmg should last more than 10 MINUTES. :shocked:

19. nthBULL

nthBULL IncGamers Member

ya whenever i take him on i make sure ive got a few poison mages, in case i dont kill him first go. the poison always stops him from regenerating.

20. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

Thank you for the math, but you failed to include Decripify in your calculations :wink3: . Of course, I wasn't planning on taking on Diablo Clone without Crushing Blow, but in case he would spawn in a game without Urdars (or any other big dudes) I would have to.