Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How I became an owner of an ENIGMA

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by halohalo, Feb 15, 2004.

1. halohalo

halohalo IncGamers Member

How I became an owner of an ENIGMA

Yes, finally, I got an Enigma armor. Made by myself. Ooh, I still feel the thrill I had when I was putting those runes in... I'd like to share the story on how I got this armor. USEAST, ladder game.

I'm a summon nec, lvl 91, baal runner. Until recently, he had no good drops to trade for Jah or Ber. Got a Tal armor, but that's still too less to net me those runes. Then I had this eth CB. It could have got me an already made enigma, but I really didn't feel the need of it then. Sold it for nice items(not runes), and once again I had nothing good to trade for Jah or Ber.

While running Baal, I started to feel a little boring(was lvl 90 then). No wonder, I have been running him since my nec was 83 or something. All his exp was gained from baal runs, so imagine it. I felt like I needed some change in strategy, to shorten down the time of these 20 minute taking baal runs(3~4 minutes just to take baal down). I searched the forums, here and there, to get an idea of it. I must confess that I almost felt like using a maphack along with a tele ammy. But no I didn't use it, for I realized that some of my best drops were found in WS K lvl 2 and 3, rather than the throne or baal.

In the 3rd day of my search for a new idea, I saw this thread on 'crushing blows on merc'. It was enlightning! I didn't know CBlow worked on act bosses. Or, I'm pretty sure there were times it really didn't work on them. But hey, now that I knew that CBlow works, I definitely had to try it. Using the trade forum, I got myself a steelpillar(25%CB) and a rattlecage(25%CB), and put them on my merc along with a Guillaume's face. Total of 85% of CBlow, my merc started to take down baal in no time! I know my revives survive for 3 minutes, and the death lords I revived just before facing the first wave of baal's minions were still alive after killing baal! That was a huggge progress in terms of time saving. Oh, how I regretted to use CBlow earlier! I could have used it from the beginning and could have done lot more of baal runs!

But still there were rooms to improve. I needed more resistance to survive those black souls. I was ok, but still got killed almost once every 20 runs, and that's really hurting when you are 91. Lucky me, I found a rare boots with 21% mf and very nice resists, and got me 50+ lightning resist. But oh, the boots didn't have ANY fast run walk! Darn slow I was. I was safer, but slower in running. Slow running was annoying especially when I had to run all the way back from a dead end, when I knew perfectly where I was going and that there were perfectly no monsters in my way. I needed teleport, and a faster run. Guess what. I finally NEEDED an enigma!

But how? I didnt have anything to trade for the runes. Found myself an eth zerker and traded it for 2 sojs, but I used them up rather stupidly already. One I sold for a hoto and trang helm/belt which is worth not much these days, and other one I got ripped off(don't wanna talk about it :( ). I needed to find myself VERY good items to rival Jah and Ber, and I also needed a descent 3 skt armor(I'm not gonna use my runes on a 300ish armor). My search for uber items began.

Jah was rather easy. I got it for my 14% nightwings I found off baal. Then I found a 3 skt archon, def 503 while running hephisto. I was gonna use this myself, but just got curious how much this thing is worth, and visited the trading channel. To my surprise, I was offered a SUR rune! Damn nice, I thought, and instantly sold it for SUR. All I needed was another SUR, to cube up for BER!

Then I saw, in trade forum, someone selling 3 skt armor, rather neat, for only a Lum rune. So I thought I'll get my 3skter through trade rather than to find it. Made a room called 'Brg 3skt armor', and instantly 3~4 ppl joined my game. A pally had this superior wyrmhide, 527def, which was very nice. I invited him to a normal room and offerd shako and occy. He liked them, so I got it off him.

Then I thought. If 503 def was worth SUR, how much this 527 def would be? I know ppl prefer archon, but wouldn't there other ppl that prefer defense? I paid another visit to the trade channel.I didn't know before then, that I had ripppppped off that pally guy. To my surprise, I was offered the very BER for it! :D Why think, I just took the trade!

Getting a 400ish defense 3skter and an ITH was no matter. I got them both fairly easy, within 10 minutes. And I happily made my enigma out of them. Beautiful it was. Tho a little low in defense, lowest in str req(77). Using enigma helped a lot in tactical way too. More easy to take down baal's minions, by dragging them towards a corpse pack to start the CE chain. Killing physical immune 'posessed' champions (not able to curse them) became a lot easier(teleport right in front of it for my skelli mages to take it down). Faster running, teleporting back when I hit the dead end, were all much fun.

The only drawback of enigma to skullders is it's less MF. I lost about 36% mf using enigma. Time for me to take off archnid and put on an UPed goldwrap. I'm gonna use skullders on my merc(rattlecage was rather annoying sometimes, chasing monsters away from my curse range). Gonna trade my SUR for most ISTs and put them in my alibaba to take place of the gull dagger. Total, I'll have over 700 mf(if my merc kills and I switch weapons).

Conclusion : If you wanna get enigma, look for eth CB/zerker or 3 skt high defense armors(500+). They will instantly bring you a fortune.

2. st-hearts

st-hearts IncGamers Member

Nice story. I think I'll wait until I *find* those runes myself, instead of trading for what were probably duped runes*.

~Hearts~
    *Not that I have anything against people using duped runes, I just prefer to play my own way. And besides, I feel much better about using my own legitimate Heart of the Oak than I would had I traded for the duped Vexes.

3. weirdoctor

weirdoctor IncGamers Member

Just curious, if you cube up 2 duped runes, does the resulting rune become legit?

As again, just wondering - I don't play ladder, let alone have those runes =)

4. Anksun

Anksun IncGamers Member

I understand you so much...

I paid like half the stuff i got to get my ber-Jah and a Beautiful :
    556 def superior Archon :)

Yes I pay like ist, cham and 15allresGc for it. But how nice it is when you socketed this armor! (Of course, I had to check diabloii and arreats summit 3 times each to be sure it was: jah+ith+Ber... ask a friend to confirm and still was nervous when i put the runes in ... :howdy:

Oh well, I pay a lot but now, people usually just said: WOW when they saw my enigma of 1318 defense. And would i want back some stuff, I could just trade my enigma for another lower def one + Great stuff :)

5. halohalo

I imagine how having an enigma would look if the runes were not duped. Then, this armor would have been impossible for me to obtain.

I am also, of course, against dupes. But when I know that the items I traded for the runes were legit and found by me, I have little remorse.

Ah, but maybe I should not have even bought the likely duped runes. Keeping on buying them would result in more ppl trying to dupe them. Alas, 'when the buying stops, duping can too' :(

6. TheAntiHero

TheAntiHero Banned

hallelujah

7. Taft12

Taft12 IncGamers Member

I know what you mean, a long time ago in my newbie days I was making a Holy Thunder and used Ith instead of Eth - the runes are low but the 4-socket divine scepter took me forever to find, I was pretty mad at myself. Now I check the Arreat every time even if I know exactly what the Runes are.

EDIT: Sorry to be off-topic - congrats on the Enigma. I must say that many players overvalue socketed armors but I don't mind taking advantage of this :)

8. FmW@PeZ!

[email protected]! IncGamers Member

Congrats!
    Liked so much your little history.. :p

9. dre7

dre7 IncGamers Member

great story... i have my story for getting enima as well...

It started as the usual story, where i didn't had enough items to trade for Jah or Ber, then however i found myself a 3 socketed wyrmhide in pits. Then after awhile the rune dupin' was on, so I went to trade channel and some guy offered me tals armor for my 3 sock wyrmhide, i made a game and we traded. I made a new game tals armor 4 runes, couple of ppl came in and one guy offered me Jah for it, I said I want more cause its duped anyway so he added Ber, I said that it's still not much cause he have more of them anyway since he duped them, so at the end he gave me Jah, Ber and Ohm for my tals armor. After I made game for 3 socket armor and some guy sold me 3 socket wyrmhide for lem rune, gettin and ith was no problem...

So I basicly got myself Enigma and Ohm rune just for a 3 socketed wyrmhide

10. halohalo

That's quite a story.. I never liked the dupers, but here we are clearly taking advantage of their exsistance.

11. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

Good job on earning your items!

12. DarctypeNRG

DarctypeNRG IncGamers Member

first off, thnx for the tips and congrats to gettin enigma!
    I, myself am in desperate need of enigma as well... :S
    I would just like to ask:
    Are eth CB/zerker and 3 skt high defense armors(500+) of comparable worth on uswest sc ladder?
    thnx agn

13. AntiLifer

AntiLifer IncGamers Member

yeah, i got the same question as u DarctypeNRG, but for asia ladder, im a level 62 summonancer and am just about to solo pits in a few levels. i just want to know wat to look for when im killing :) and if i can get good runes for the items i get.

thanks

Anti....