Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How HELP Druid Untwinking Stresses

Discussion in 'Druid' started by mackj, Apr 15, 2005.

1. mackj

mackj IncGamers Member

How HELP Druid Untwinking Stresses

Hi All,

I'm pretty new to playing Diablo, but I heard of this thing called playing "untwinked" on the forums and from what I can gather it consists of...

1) not trading
    2) finding all your own items
    3) not killing a boss over a certain number of times
    4) not accepting any free items
    5) not muling any of your items over

with that said I'm a level 60 druid werebear and honestly the only way I've made it this far is staying back and leeching exp. The last good weapon I had was khalims will flail in act 3 which allowed me to hit pretty fast. I've gambled all of my equipment and my axe doest very minimal amount of damage, and he hits very slow.

what should I be doing to be a successful to play "untwinked" (if I even have the terms right) character on battlenet. I really want to give it a try PLEASE HELP

2. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

The highlighted rule is usually not a big concern with untwinked, your character can run areas and bosses as much as they like. Cube recipes are one of the main things (pure 1-clear) players use to get their equipment, they also really only play by themselves in large games running players 8 will get you far more items to play with. 1 clear/untwinked is hard don't let anyone fool you about that you really have to out smart the game, using MF, gambling, repeat shopping, wise spending, abusing mercs, abusing terrain, .. AI, .. bugs, and becoming an overall smarter player will allow you to play such a play style.

This play style is very hard for most people, especially ones who like fast movement through the game. Players who do 1 clear usually take hours to play through 1 act let alone one difficulty, I have heard of them taking 5-7 hours to do act 1 normal, mainly since they are setting up their build and bringing everything back to get some cash flow going. town storage becomes a great tool. The playstyle works far better in single player than on bnet, open, or lan.

As for your build, you should look into getting a weapon of choice and using the chippy recipe to reroll it for big mods. also consider placing gems and runes to gain damage. a 6 socketed weapon with 6 tals for instance can give 451 damage over 5 seconds. also simple runewords, leaf, steel, strength, black, etc can be used to better yourself.

I don't know how your skills and stats are setup so I can't help you there but that really isn't a big deal as compared to how you play, take a look at the mastery sorceress tournament that has been resurrected in the SPF one of the players is playing that playstyle and actually sailing through the game.

3. mackj

mackj IncGamers Member

Thanks a lot for the advice, its nice to know that the rate at which I go through the game solo isnt as bad as I thought it was.

my skills for my werebear are as follows...

11 - lycanthropy
    12 - werebear
    12 - maul
    5 - shockwave
    1 - werewolf
    1 - oak sage
    7 - heart of the wolverine

...with 12 skill points remaining

115 - Str
    79 - Dex
    101 - Vit
    20 - Eng

...with 60 stat points remaining

I'm also glad that I've been doing some things right by taking every item and selling it for money. It looks like I picked a pretty hard character choice to solo with. But I'll keep on gambling for items and identifying the color yellow, everywhere they are. If you have any last minute advice for me that'd be nice too thanks again!

My 2 cents on untwinking: Any player should play untwinked at least once, after making all these "godly" sorcs, hammerdins, windy druids, etc. You start to see the game with a new point of view, and all of a sudden all those blue items are equal to unqiue, and you cannot wait till you collect 3 blue rings/amulets, just so you can throw them in the cube to re-roll'em.

4. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Actually some of the most Godly items in the game are blue items. Ever see a +3 elemental skills club of slvl 7 fissures on a build? don't sound like much but the huge boost to my firestorm would be God like. Let alone the 14 seconds of long armageddon :)

What are you saving your skill/stat points for? go ahead and use them as you see you need them, may want to keep about 25 stat points to use as emergency for that Godly weapon/armor you may need str/dex for.

5. jepspi

jepspi IncGamers Member

:)
    We've all been there :) . All I get from those times are but a nostalgic memory yet oh so sweet. I remember while at act 3, trying to complete the flail (someone help me out with the name here) and what I did was run back and forth outside/inside the cave taking out the monsters 1 by 1 (there were like 5 champions plus the boss!!). I ended up dying at first, dropping all my equipment then I bought a bunch of stuff to equip myself and eventually, I managed to kill the buggers and get my original equipment back from my corpse.

Heh, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Stick to playing that 'untwinked' style for a while. You'll miss those times horribly when you move to the bnet as Uzziah stated.

As for your skills, I think it's great that you're still deciding on what to put those 12 points at. I believe I rushed my druid and ended up having a fury/elementalist for solo :eek: . If the path you're taking is a mauler, then maybe investing those points at lycantrophy will look good? First things first and maxing lyc, werebear, and maul should be main priorities, imo.

Stat-wise is really up to you. I wouldn't know what to recommend since I have been away from the game for so long, but as far as I remember I kept my dex up and str second. Also, don't say you picked a hard character to solo with! Druids are but beautiful!! Oh hell I guess they are. Starting out with druids are hard but it pays off when you stabilize yourself.

6. mackj

mackj IncGamers Member

jepsi,

My werebear is already on battlenet, which happened to be one of the primary difficulties with him. Especially in public rooms. I know what you mean though, I'm having a great time playing with this playstyle, and I have a feeling I'm going to miss it "if" i stop playing it :p .

Coming across socketed weapons for my werebear has been the primary issue. I've come across many socketed weapons I could use to increase my IAS, but I'm not able to upgrade socketed items (which is a bummer, because I would have that 5 socket phase blade a long time ago)

I dont think you have to be away from Diablo that long to know how to play a werebear. Or I'm just THAT knew :p . But the skills in the tree are what persuaded me to do a werebear, because of the straightforward approach. Plus I got a lot of my skills very early on into the game, which is a major plus.

Maybe after this is all done, I should write some simple explanations on my expiriences (aka mini guide) But it wouldnt be too interesting I guess since a lot of the steps to playing untwinked are self explanatory, not so much though are all the cube recipies that I've been learning and engraving into my head :rolleyes: Something for me to think about. lol

7. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Some suggestions too.

Untinked is much more fun with a team. Its a blast to get 2 or 3 guys and play the whole game together. It also allows you get get complimentary builds. Some really good untwinked builds are: summon necro, zealot, LF amazon, Chain lit / cold sorc, fire trapper.

The best untwinked druid is a fire druid imo. Hunters and wolves are also fun. If you play west hcl, msg me at *garbad_the_Weak and we can play together. Good luck!

Garbad

8. mackj

mackj IncGamers Member

Thinking in the Shower

Okay All,

I love being a forum member here. Especially SPF :D And I love reading all the guides here, and I think that its important that we try to compile something together about how to play this "untwinked" playing style.

I realize that untwinked is primarliy used in solo-play, but I believe that a lot of the Diablo expirience is left out, such as the MANY uses of the Horadric Cube, and low level rune words. I think many of us skip a lot of these options because we dont have to abide by them. THEY'RE fun though, and should not be missed out by anyone.

So basically I'm asking yet some more questions :lol:

1) Do you think that its worth writting a guide for playing the untwinked style on battlenet?

2) If so...Does anyone want to help me compile this guide? By joining in games, and also solo expiriences

I'd really like to play on battlenet with other players and see how we all fair in this! We can slowly compile things we should have done, and things we did right. I think we can all try to find faster ways to being able to play with these characters, without being left in the dust on battlenet.

Please give in some constructive input, I want to know if I'm wasting my time. I just think this is a great way for us to contribute back to the forums, especially some of us poor players who dont have a lot of items!

9. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

I don't think so...I don't play Battle-net myself but from everything I've heard most people seem to be more interested in "powergaming" than playing untwinked. It also corresponds very well with the majority of posters on this board...most people don't ask how good Strength or Steel runewords are, they just want to know what the easiest way to get Faith or HOTO is. I think you should head over to the SPF (great place) I'm sure you can find some people there who would be more than willing to contribute to your guide...then afterwards you can adapt it to B-net style if you want.

10. mackj

mackj IncGamers Member

LOL I find that all of my posts minus one are in SPF. Here goes another one :thumbsup: :D