How fundamental is the skill system to an arpg like D4?

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member
When you look at the skill systems in the numerous arpg's around atm and think about the effort they have put into making their skill systems different from each other and weight up what impact all this work has had on the overall experience of playing each one. Does it ultimately matter? Why?

Does it come down to skill systems being dynamic (D3) vs static (D2)? If you build a dynamic skill system you end up giving away build, whereas if you go with a static system you trade-off adaptability, versatility and to some degree simplicity. What impact have these decisions had on the overall end-user experience?

It can start to feel like a lot of work goes into something that could really be a little more than fan service. The core arpg experience to me seems to be about running off into some dangerous wilds grabbing some stuff and bringing it home without getting killed preferably. It's all about hoarding at its root level. If that's accurate then doesn't it make the whole skill system and the effort invested into trying to make them matter seem like that time could have been better spent elsewhere? Like making loot that really matters instead.

If they are going to say that D4 is a true throwback to D2 then you would expect the loot to be the primary way they would express this to us.

Ultimatium

Diabloii.Net Member
I would say it matters. If you look at the skill system in path of exile, you basically have a skill system with lots of useless skills, such as skills that gives you two more strength and things like that. It makes it really boring and uninspiring for me personally. I think it works really well in diablo 2, since it more or less feels like every single skill point you invest matters. I think it should stay that way.

Last edited:

sbn

Diabloii.Net Member
I think Ultimatium hits the nail on the head with "in diablo 2, since it more or less feels like every single skill point you invest matters. " In D2 I cared about leveling to get those stat and attribute points. I can't comment on POE as it has been too ling since I played, but D3 is the example of just not how to do it. I eventually reached level 70 and beyond in D3 not because it mattered reaching a new level and beyond, but more so because I was bored. Ultimately D3 just bored me with my characters due to the lack of interesting items and lack of character development. Never really felt like the character was my creation, but a loaner from Blizzard.

Ultimatium

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, that's why we gladly did a quest like the golden bird or lam esen's tome so many times. I think most of us would say that they weren't fun quests in particular, but we still did them, simply because they gave us a sense of progression in the game.

Last edited: