How fast should a computer to be similar to human intelligence? de

Dirty_Zulu

Diabloii.Net Member
How fast should a computer to be similar to human intelligence?

How fast is Commander Data's (the pale android from Star Trek) CPU in term of our standard of measure (giga hertz).

I'd like a computer that watch TV and later tells me "you know what, that was a crappy movie cuz Tara Reid can't act".

How about; "good morning zulu, what a lovely day. seeing that you're stressed out, I am going to do the taxes for you and file it. and looks like the dog doesn't like Alpo, I'll order Iams. And since you need a lady for the night, I know just who to call".

How about, "I don't really like to be called Peter. I want to be Shirley".

Maybe few hundred tera-hertz?

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not convinced that the ability of a computer to form its own opinions is dependent on processor speed in the first place. I think the speed is irrelevant.

Suicidal Zebra

Diabloii.Net Member
Conventional Megahertz convention does not really relate to Neural Networks very well unfortunately. Numbers of processes per second is pretty redundant when you have a huge number of neurons to share the load.

Tara reid doesnt have to act. just be on screen is enough. :thumbsup:
And its kind of impossible to say how fast a human brain would be (basically the same question that you asked) in ghz. lots i expect.

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator
Easy as pie. Just give some funding into physics studies!
If they finally understand the quantum physics, we would never need to buy new processors ever again :p

Dirty_Zulu

Diabloii.Net Member
farting bob said:
Tara reid doesnt have to act. just be on screen is enough. :thumbsup:
And its kind of impossible to say how fast a human brain would be (basically the same question that you asked) in ghz. lots i expect.
OMG I feel like beating my cat when I watched Alone In The Dark. All she did was tail Christian Slater around standing in the wrong spots and then at the end pretend to be a smart archaeologist who finally got mauled by aliens. And she got nothing over Paris Hilton.

Back to ghz. How can we program a computer to like apples instead of oranges. Have emotional needs. Would the answer be never....?

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
Computers are already much faster than the human brain, the problem is in knowing what intelligence is and in creating a program that can learn, write code for itself, and can create its own goals.

Garbad

kryo

Diabloii.Net Member
A Ghz comparison is completely pointless, considering the fact that brains are clockless...

Twoflower

Banned
garbad is right, it s not the speed taht matters, it s the programing. they are allready much faster as a human brain ( or could you do 1000 calculations a second ? )

so i d say a very very good brain maybee comes close to a amiga 64, maybee :uhhuh:

What are you guys talking about your brain is keeping track of every nerve you have . . . at the same time. Not many computers could do that, much less have a learning thought process that also decisions.

Computers are slower than your brain, computers are just told what to do in an easier way.

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
Regardless, I would argue that intelligence is an inherently parallel function, and current computers, neglecting ILP and TLP, are serial devices.

Necrolestes

Diabloii.Net Member
Hertz Rent-A-Brain

1.75 THz.

Just kidding. The human brain thinks in both fast and slow modes (depending on the task that needs to be performed) and some brains can think faster than others and those brains may exceed their normal speeds if a situation requires it. Until they build a self-upgrading computer, you can't say for certain that a computer will ever be able to keep up with the speed of human intelligence (as we continue to expand our minds to make more powerful and advanced computers, it becomes apparent that our minds may well be infinite, at least collectively...no computer will ever be that powerful or that fast).

Freemason

Banned
It'll be the day it doensn't take millions of years to answer the Ultimate Question Of Life, The Universe And Everything.

ROMVS

Diabloii.Net Member
{KOW}Spazed said:
What are you guys talking about your brain is keeping track of every nerve you have . . . at the same time. Not many computers could do that, much less have a learning thought process that also decisions.

Computers are slower than your brain, computers are just told what to do in an easier way.
I totally second that. Calculations is one thing, making super fast complex decisions based on billions of information is something else. Besides, there are some people who can do 10 black sholes (not sure if that is the correct name - primarily for valuing options or stocks) equations per minute, no computer can do that yet and some autistic people are very fast as well when it comes to solving super complex problems.

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
Steel_Avatar said:
Regardless, I would argue that intelligence is an inherently parallel function, and current computers, neglecting ILP and TLP, are serial devices.
So how do you make parallel computers?

nrabbit

Diabloii.Net Member
please don't make such computers! who is going to help us after they take over the world? haven't you learnt anything from the terminator and the matrix??? :scared:

PyroStock

Diabloii.Net Member
Would you download yourself before you died?

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/life-05zl.html
Death Could Be Averted By 'Downloaded Brains', British Futurologist Says
London (AFP) May 22, 2005
Death could become a thing of the past by the mid-21st century as computer technology becomes sophisticated enough for the contents of a brain to be "downloaded" onto a supercomputer, according to a leading British futurologist.
However, he told the Observer newspaper on Sunday, this technology might be expensive enough to remain the preserve of the rich for a decade or two more.

Among other eyebrow-raising predictions by Ian Pearson, head of the futurology unit at British telecommunications giant BT, is the prospect of computer systems being able to feel emotions.

This could eventually involve such things as aeroplanes being programmed to be even more terrified of crashing than their passengers, meaning they would do whatever possible to stay airborne.

While the predictions might sound outlandish, they were merely the product of extrapolations drawn from the current rate at which computers are evolving, Pearson said in an interview with the newspaper.

"If you draw the timelines, realistically by 2050 we would expect to be able to download your mind into a machine, so when you die it's not a major career problem," he said.

"If you're rich enough then by 2050 it's feasible. If you're poor you'll probably have to wait until 2075 or 2080 when it's routine.

"We are very serious about it. That's how fast this technology is moving: 45 years is a hell of a long time in IT."

As an example of the advances being made, Pearson noted that Sony's new PlayStation 3 computer games console is 35 times as powerful as the model it replaced, and in terms of processing is "one percent as powerful as a human brain".

In views which those of a religious persuasion might find hard to handle, Pearson said the next computing goal would be to replicate consciousness.

"Consciousness is just another sense, effectively, and that's what we're trying to design on a computer," he said.

"Not everyone agrees, but it's my conclusion that it's possible to make a conscious computer with superhuman levels of intelligence before 2020."

One of the "primary reasons" for such work would be to give computers emotions, Pearson said.

"If I'm on an aeroplane I want the computer to be more terrified of crashing than I am so it does everything to stay in the air until it's supposed to be on the ground."
Emotional computers... no thanks.

Same story with different view...
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_n...1489635,00.html
You could have a conversation with your strawberry yogurt before you eat it.'
DIE STRAWBERRY YOGURT! DIE! :mad: