Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How far will they go?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freet, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

How far will they go?

Today I got a letter in the mail which contained a "news article" and a postit note saying "Jim, check this out...signed T."

I read enough of the news clipping to realize it was nothing more than an advertisement for a car dealership.

I have never been to that dealership and I'm certain noone there knows me well enough to address me by my first name. I also find this to be incredibly deceitful and underhanded. I'm pretty sure this was not the desired result, but how could they possibly have thought that I would have reacted favorably?

Am I just being anal or should I call the dealership and express my intense desire to insure that noone I know will ever do business with them?

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Leave a bag of flaming poo in their doorway.

Dare I say this is *gasp* Spam?!?!?!? Seriously this isn't new. . .just a new medium kinda. . .

3. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Doesn't seem anal to me. I refuse to buy anything from a place that advertises via unwanted mail/e-mail. This seems like petty spam mail at best, just a bit localized more than usual.

4. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

That's kind of freaky, Freet. You being named Jim and all :lol:

The way I deal with junk mail, is to look at the stamped/franked bit. If it says, 'presorted first class' or anything like that, straight to the recycling bin!

5. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Don't just toss those things away. Use them. Any junk mail that comes with a pre-paid envelope is fair game. Clip out ads for other stuff and mail it back to them. A dozen ads for tampons sent to a credit card company, a supermarket ad for beer sent to a church, etc. Have some fun with them.

I've thought about taping one of those envelopes to a 50 lbs. box full of rocks. Not quite sure if the post office would accept it though...

6. masterazn

masterazn Banned

IT'S ANTHRAX! Freet! Run!!

7. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Smeg, Maddox likes it when people credit his website. Don't know if he came up with it first, but it's the first place I ever saw it.

Freet, maybe they thought you were supposed to realize how clever their advertising was and that you would want to do business with a company that clever. That's about the only thing I can come up with. I say call the dealership and tell them what you told us. And that you will never ever buy a car from them.

8. Freemason

Freemason Banned

I've been doing that since '94 when I moved out on my own. I got the idea from one of the dj's from the now defunct 96.5 KYCW out of Seattle.

9. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Bah, it's an old-fashioned junk-mailing. If the person has your address it's hardly surprising that he can dig up your first name too.

You should be touched that the company was actually honest enough to pay for the stamp instead of just including your Hotmail address on the list of accounts that got the "N-E-W C-A-R F1NA-NC1NG T0DAY!" message.

To the circular file with it!

10. Dj_Otaku

Dj_Otaku IncGamers Member

I'd say just 'whatever' the mail Freet. Don't waste your time.

Dj_Otaku

11. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

How about "1 N C R 3 A 5 P 1 N 3 5 0R B R 3 A 5 T 5 1 Z 3 T 0 |) A Y !!!!! "

Companies have hit a new low. . .1337 speak.

12. Dj_Otaku

Dj_Otaku IncGamers Member

Seriously KOW, I have no idea what that says. -_-"

Dj_Otaku

13. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

My friend won an international super gordo lottery out of nigeria i mean spain.