Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How exactly does -%target defense work?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Chia, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Chia

Chia IncGamers Member

How exactly does -%target defense work?

Just curious, when an item has say -25% target defense, does it take off 25% of the listed defense of the enemy? Also if you have multiple items with this mod, does it stack?

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

It does reduce enemy defence by 25%...It works different in PvP where it's only 12.5% I think. Multiple sources will stack.

3. Doll Call

Doll Call IncGamers Member

negative defense mods are cut in half... they do stack... and ITD doesnt work obviously.

4. combatman

combatman IncGamers Member

I dont remember exactly but there was a post some months ago saying that -25% is devided by 2 in pvp(this is 100% right); means -12.5% to your opponent cumulative defense. This means that -12.5% is not taken from all the def. you character have but only (for aexample) from your shout or iron skin on barb. This mean if u have 200%ed shout u will do now "only" 187.5%% ed def, wich is not a big difference. Aniway the use of eth runes have changed a lot from 1.09 to 1.1 patch. In 1.09 eth rune was bugged and your character could always hit( becouse the target defense was not -25% but actualy became negative -0.025). I think Hal can help u out here, he also answered that post i was talking about at the beginning.

5. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

The belief that -% defense is applied on total enhanced defense% from skills like shout & ironskin making it less usefull,has been disproved by tests from forumers like Dahmer & TTP.Defense cut applies on the base defense or total defense (same thing).I too believed otherwise.

Wielding a 25% defense cut weapon or in effect 12.5% in pvp is like having more than 80% to base ar(like from fana on beast)eventhough you get more ar, a weapon like botd/fury/cleaver/grief would manage more hits by virtue of defense cut.

Rik

6. Majiin

Majiin IncGamers Member

then whats the point of using beast/duress?, wouldnt fury/fortitude be better? (more life, AR, damage and defende :eek:)

7. rikstaker

Sure is.Linky.

Rik

8. combatman

I remembered now that the post i was refering was about war cry skil and not an eth rune:) I guesss it was a loooong time ago.

9. rikstaker

I reckon the defense cut from battle cry works the same way since in essence both are same mods statistically,but cant say for sure unless tests are done.

Rik

10. Chimaira

I'm pretty sure you can't have negative defence, so the defence of your opponent was set to zero, which is pretty much the same thing for all practical purposes.

11. jordy666

jordy666 IncGamers Member

u can

my mouse is over it, but i had -296 def

-jordy :king:

12. combatman

chimara; that was 100% sure a long time ago in 1.09. I think it is possible now if u duel shadow asa casting cloak of shadows and warcy barb at he same time ,and lets say u are a necromancer with 1k def.

13. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

I know for a fact that Inner sight can drop your defense below zero. Ofcourse this is still the same as zero defense when it comes to chance to hit. But that's the only skill that can drop defense into the negatives.

14. Chimaira

Yeah I also meant for 1.09...can't=couldn't. Nice screenshot Jordy...that really cleared things up:) Maybe move the mouse cursor next time

15. Majiin

Majiin IncGamers Member

interesting link, if my calculations are right, fury/enigma (since i'm not on ladder) is still better than beast/duress, by a "big" difference, around 60-70 damage assuming you have 240-260 str :rolleyes:

16. rikstaker

I dont think so.If you are talking BVC,then it has been proven time & again that botd/beast or grief/beast is the best option in most duels,fury can be used in place of beast in es sorcs duels.But over all in BVC, beast is the best offhand weapon.

Enigma cant compare to fort/duress if you are talking damage or defense.Duress gives some ed% & 33% ow,fort gives 300% ed.

Rik

17. JanusJones

JanusJones IncGamers Member

Question folks:

Does this make maxed Battle Cry a nasty PvP skill? Anybody tested this?

18. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Rik, battle cry defense works as straight subtraction, which is why it sucks for pvp. If you had a 1000 defense barb with 500% enhanced defense from shout/ironskin, he'd be sitting at 6000 defense. You battle cry him for -50%, but instead of going to 3000 defense, he'd go to 5750 (500% ed - 25% ed = 475% ed).

Works well on monsters though, since they generally don't have Enhanced Defense, but rather a fixed total.

-Hal

19. rikstaker

hmm..that clarifies it.Since it was originally thought that -% target defense on weapons works on enhanced defense% too & then subesequently proven wrong I was under the impression that being the same mod the defense cut from battly cry ought to work on final defense as well.But since you said it,that mustnt be the case.

Rik

20. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Ah, well, this is the information we've been running with since 1.10 was released, when someone found that to be the explanation for why it did jack against players in pvp. I havn't seen it proven wrong thus far, but of course anything can be. :)

-Hal