Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

how exactly does decrepify work?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Lazy_BerZerker, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

how exactly does decrepify work?

How much does it slow your enemy pr. lvl?
    And what is that amp thingy I hear it has? I have heard three explantion on realm. One said it works like amp and doubles the damage = -100% physical resist I guess. Another guy told me it just reduced physical resist by 50% and the last person told me it reduced the opponements damage by 50%?? Which one if any of them are correct?
    Will 1 point in this skill be enough since only duration increases?

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Decrepify does 3 things:
    - it slows the target
    - the target does less phyiscal damage (like weaken)
    - it reduces the physical resistance of the target

I'm not entirely sure about the numeric values of each of these, but I believe the physical resistance reduction is 50%, as opposed to 100% from Amplify Damage --- which is the reason why I (and many others :)) still use amp most of the time.

EDIT: yes, 1 point is enough, usually. There'll always be the occasional player who likes the higher duration enough to spend more points, but generally 1 point +skills is fine (as is the case with a great many number of curses, making the necromancer the only(?) class with essentially a whole tree full of 1-point-wonders)

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

The numerical values for these things are:

- 50% Slow target.
    - The target does 50% less physical damage.
    - 50% Reduced physical resistance of the target.

4. Myrakh-2

Now, THAT should explain why I always seem to remember just one value...

5. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

so AMP is better versus an enemy with 0% physical res to 50% for skills like volcano and such?

6. Myrakh-2

If you just look at the damage then amp is always better, unless the monster already has -50% physical resistance (or lower). I don't know what kind of damage volcano deals, though --- amp and decrepify are for physical resistance only.

However, Decrepify has it's uses if either or both of the other two effects are useful. Monster slowdown not only reduces the number of attacks you have to deal with; it also makes it harder for a monster to cast a spell, to the point where I can e.g. completely prevent Baal from casting "complex" spells (teleport, cloning, tentacles seem to be that group). Diablo doesn't get a lot of spells out either (but don't forget that I'm not just using decrep --- Gumby and chilling add to it as well).

Also, fast and/or hard hitting monsters can be tamed down a bit if they cause too much trouble for your minions.

7. cmosdos

cmosdos IncGamers Member

I only use decrep on bosses or when extremely large numbers of baddies get grouped together and attack. It helps slow them down so I can organize an attack. Then I can cast amp damage on a few of them, CE them, next group amp, CE, etc.

8. derekdoo

derekdoo Banned

i believe decep doesnt slow down casting rate in pvp

9. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

No slow effect reduces casting rate. It would make casters way too vulnerable. The slow effect does effect attack speed however, so it effectively quarters damage since they're hitting in twice the time it takes them normally. Decrep completely usurps Weaken for this reason.

I don't think it's possible for monsters to already have -50 physical resists unless someone else hit them with decrepify.

Decrep is most useful against solo enemies like bosses and other uniques. Amp damage combined with corpse explode kills enemies fast enough that it's not really worth casting on regular enemies. A better choice for when your minions are having a tough time is Life Tap or Confuse. I think Decrep and Lower Resistance are the only curses that actually works on Lister and company, however, so it's a good one to wrap up a Baal run with.

10. Myrakh-2

Hm... what makes you think Amp Damage doesn't work on Lister? I've been amping him "for ages", but since I don't really know how fast he SHOULD go down with or without amp I can't really tell whether the amp really had an effect...

11. derekdoo

derekdoo Banned

i always thought that cold slowed fcr, fhr by one frame which is alot but .. though im not exactly sure ...well the cold ive been using is hf. so basically freeze is pretty much useless vs casters then?

12. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

Well no, but if your enemy don't teleport then can slow be very good.