How exactly does a frostmaiden work?

Pengers

Diabloii.Net Member
How exactly does a frostmaiden work?

I just realized, after a day of making one, I have no idea how she works.
Okay, you use FA to freeze a group of monsters... then you just attack them with other moves? Is that the whole point of FA? Reading the guides, that is all it seems to do and I can't fully understand how a frostmaiden is awesome in PvM because of that...
I'm sorry for the stupid question but can anyone explain it to me?

Leohappy

Diabloii.Net Member
frostmaiden uses FA most of the time
you will also use strafe to kill immunes and refill mana

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
FA can only get to around 2.5k to 3k with decent gear, but that doesn't mean much. FA's real power lies in Piercing, allowing for multiple FA explosions with the one arrow on a group of monsters.

It's the same premise behind Lightning Fury. It's kind of average on its own, but Pierce makes it great.

A Frostmaiden uses FA, Strafe, and you could even throw in Multishot every now and then when the situation arises.

An Ice runeword bow is really the ultimate cannon. It turns a Frostmaiden from an average killer to a walking goddess.

Evrae Altana

Diabloii.Net Member
Eilo Rytyj said:
An Ice runeword bow is really the ultimate cannon. It turns a Frostmaiden from an average killer to a walking goddess.
I can vouch for this. Whoever designed the Ice runeword must have been a Frostmaiden in a previous life.

Pengers

Diabloii.Net Member
Wait wait wait.
Wait.

You mean everytime an arrow pierces into another enemy, a FA explosion happens AGAIN? How many enemies can a good 90% + pierce go through?

Evrae Altana

Diabloii.Net Member
Pengers said:
You mean everytime an arrow pierces into another enemy, a FA explosion happens AGAIN?
I think you're getting the idea. :wink3:
This is what makes Frostmaidens so powerful. The bigger the pack, the faster they die.

Pengers

Diabloii.Net Member
Alright, so far, I appreciate everyones help. I have one final question though.

With proper gear (leech and stuff), I would not have to worry about losing mana to the large mana requirements for FA? I notice people saying that they have little problem with mana but I would like them to elaborate on that.

WrongdayJ

Diabloii.Net Member
That's what the strafe/multishot is for.

Lob a few FA's, then strafe/Multi shot to leech back your mana.

Rinse and repeat as needed (you won't need too many repeats with a good enough pierce).

A good Frostmaiden can shoot one or two FA's into a tight pack of monsters (like cows or Baals minions) and literally turn almost all of them into ice cubes. :grin:

Fuzzier

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd use a big bow, rather than having to switch to Strafe/Multi every-now-and-then to leech the mana back.
The only drawback is FA is it's bad for boss killing. So Frostmaidens shall always have a decent Strafe, or hybrid with CS.

Silent Shaddow

Diabloii.Net Member
or ga which is useful for dodging dia LHoD...
the only thing i would add is ofc an infinity merc...
basically i use mine for clearing choas and dia, lead with ur ama! dont try and stay behind a slow merc/valk :undecided: freeze stuff instead, my merc rarely dies due to everything being dead b4 he hits everything :laugh:

and dont max out ice arrow thinking its a damage synergy!
now who would be stupid enough to do that?
*throws salt over own shoulder* :shocked:

and nightwings with a res/ias jool is the way to go!:prop:

you shall go forth with ur frost maiden ama and freeze everthing back to hell (and annoy ur necro friend )

Virility

Diabloii.Net Member
So as not to make a new thread-my question is regarding your choice of merc.

I see Silent shaddow took advantage of Infinity to lower resists. What did you other Freezons choose and why?

I took the easiest path-i have a great bow with faith level 12 aura and decided to put it to use. This merc with Tal's helm and Lionheart for armor(another piece not being used) has managed to survive. I changed Eye of Etlich to Atma's. I am having a bit of a struggle with mana leech at 7% from a manald ring and I don't see many other sources for mana leech from gear until I can craft some gloves with 3% ml. I wondered if I tried a Pride/Might merc the extra damage boost to the bow would ease the leeching problem. I get by fine with 3ml/10ll with a strafer using faith/pride/might.

Thank you for your input.

Jek

Diabloii.Net Member
So as not to make a new thread-my question is regarding your choice of merc.

I see Silent shaddow took advantage of Infinity to lower resists. What did you other Freezons choose and why?

I took the easiest path-i have a great bow with faith level 12 aura and decided to put it to use. This merc with Tal's helm and Lionheart for armor(another piece not being used) has managed to survive. I changed Eye of Etlich to Atma's. I am having a bit of a struggle with mana leech at 7% from a manald ring and I don't see many other sources for mana leech from gear until I can craft some gloves with 3% ml. I wondered if I tried a Pride/Might merc the extra damage boost to the bow would ease the leeching problem. I get by fine with 3ml/10ll with a strafer using faith/pride/might.

Thank you for your input.
Another fine way to get heaps of ML would be the Crescent Moon amulet, it can yield, singlehanded, up to 15%.

Silent Shaddow

Diabloii.Net Member
tbh my ama is a strafe/FA hybrid (just bc it was so easy 2 max both) and so i lead with fa and strafe 2 death :rolleyes:

but usually a frostmadien has a large reserve of mana due to not needing dex... then even a small amount of ml makes a huge difference... :laugh:

the difference is if you decide to go all out FA, is so then u dont need large amounts of dex and so can afford points in energy

however if u want a high dmg strafe in ur build then ull need the dex but ull have the dmg to leech the mana from... :shocked:

Virility

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the response. I am a strafer at heart so chosing that as the leech attack was an easy one. I have fallen into the later ...... high damage strafe so pts have gone into dexterity.

Jek I had considered the Crescent Moon, I do have alot of fun with Atma's. Atma's does support attack rating some. I'll have to give it a real try now that I am walking through hell areas. Thanks for the suggestion.

This is the first try at a cold skill bowazon so I have followed the "vampire" approach listed in the guide. I lead with strafe to locate the target(s), follow with a couple freezing arrows and then follow up with a strafe, frankly the last strafe is overkill, not much left after that. I am really having a helluva time getting off a decoy somewhere in the sequence....then scrolling back to FA. I am pretty "handicapped" when it comes to actually pointing and shooting at a target. All this time as a strafer...I have spent more time casting decoy, changing position-strafe-repeat...I am getting a little better, not by much, lots of freezing arrows still hit empty walls.

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
Personally, if I were to make a Frostmaiden, she'd be teamed with none other than an Act 1 Fire Rogue merc with a Faith. The reason is that Faith will open you up to a decent physical damage, on top of the awesome cold damage. That way you can have 2 powerful elements at your disposal at any one time. The IAS from your merc's Faith can let you use an Ice GMB and still reach a respectable speed, and it'll squeeze a little more damage out of Multi and Strafe.

Sure, Infinity will break some of the CI's around, but... it's been done. The Infinity merc is old-hat. Having him die every 2 minutes in Chaos really sucks. A Fire Rogue's Fire Arrow will make short work of dual CI/PI's too, given the way that Fire Arrow converts physical damage to fire, and Faith's +120 fire damage too.

I've heard that those little Returned fellers are fun to have around as well.