Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How educated are you?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by wolfstar, Mar 10, 2004.

1. wolfstar

wolfstar IncGamers Member

How educated are you?

With all the calculation of damage, fcr, fpa, etc, looking at source code, writing perfect English guide make me wonder how highly educated are the D2 community. You guys must be really good at maths (to do all the calculation), at programming (to understand the source code) and expert in language (to write such good guides). So how many of you guys/gals have at least a university degree??

Make me wonder also why are there still so many bad-mannered people in the D2 community if so many are so highly educated. Maybe education just educate people in knowledge but not in character. :scratch:

Ok, I admit I was bored to write this thread. Flame me if you want. :flip:

2. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

this is offtopic, but
    when you are passionate about a game you tend to not think of it as math, but just another way to "pwn noobs*
    if I may put it like that...heh heh

on a side note:
    diablo2 killed my high school education!!
    I only need 5 more credit :hanky:

3. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

As for the well written English, I'd be willing to bet you that most of the people with horrible grammar and whatnot here speak absolutely normally in real life... they just dont put the effort into their typing.

In my opinion the math overall is fairly basic and never uses more than the four basic operations... if doing damage calculations required differential calculus it would mean less people could do them... if it involved super string theory there would probably be about one.

Lastly some people who may have their masters in theoretical physics in real life may still go online, PK people and say "I R pwned J00 NOOB" just because thats how they act with the anonimity provided by battle.net.

I'm a 22 year old senior in college for reference; one who is really anal about spelling and grammar for some reason.

[ www.superstringtheory.com ]

4. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Also remember, most people on these forums (especially the druid forum) are older, more mature, and much more mannered. I know of several members over 25 who have masters degrees or more.

I am 25 and have a bachelors, working on a PhD.

Garbad

5. psuedoenviro

psuedoenviro IncGamers Member

Im 23 with a B.S. in Environmental Science and Im not a dirty hippy

6. electricblue

electricblue IncGamers Member

im 23

mechanical engineering b.s
    management b.a

will hopefully be doing public administration m.a next year, or just keep on djing

7. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

er well, what do i have? hm.. masters in counseling (psychotherapy)
    and finishing a masters in social work, and starting a research degree in pschology.

I pwn j00

im about 29, almost.

hm. I only have utilized my school skills about 2x in my d2 forums before. and i cant figure on any of the math, i just look at what people say and rigorously compare it and question it so I wind up not making a bad character, something thats really easy to do in this game!

8. electricblue

electricblue IncGamers Member

heheh
    hail to salo
    :)

9. Trapp

Trapp IncGamers Member

There are bad mannered people everywhere not just in D2. I always hear people complain about the community in D2 and I come from one of the worst online communities (Shadowbane).

I havent been playing D2 very long but Ive only had positive experiences so far. Ive been given starter equipment, shown tactics, and discussed strategies with numerous players. Its easy enough to leave a game as its easy to tell when things are going bad.

I do think theres too much duping, cheating going on but again this isnt a persistent online world so you have some choice over who to associate with and what items to use.

Anyways. Im former military and a freshman in college since you were asking about education.

10. Kirsty

Kirsty The Order of Dii Guild Member

Hmm... 26 in a few months but I don't mind that.
    I have two university degrees, one in "Mathematics and Graphical Design" and the other in "Social Economics". I did both at the same time in a hastened pace with emphasis on practice and application rather than pure theory. Nowadays I'm working to get a "Fashion Design and Marketing" degree as well, two more years to completion but it's part time so that'll come along nicely in my spare time. In the Netherlands they use a different grading, although the last two or three years the terms Bachelor and Master were introduced. If I'm to believe the superimposition I'm supposedly a Master in both my studies.... or should that be Mistress? ;)

11. Hex

Hex IncGamers Member

Diablo literally did kill my high school education. Seriously though, I think that the way someone types and how they "carry" themselves tell a lot about them. 17 and shipping out next year for the marines. No idea what I want to major in, but since the fith grade I have made A's and B's pretty much. Can I get a bachelors in Diablo? I honestly fried a few brain cells from Diablo. It's bittersweet what can I say.

12. jumbo_SHRIMP

jumbo_SHRIMP IncGamers Member

studying for bachelors/masters in 5 yr program in comp sci and mathematics

phelix

13. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

22 and have a B.S. in Civil Engineering, and Certified as a EIT (Engineer in Training) Looking to move on into a Masters in Hydrology.

14. Asheron

Asheron IncGamers Member

http://garbad.themod.youaremyfriend.com

<3

Uhm,okay after that disturbing little link,well I suxx0rz at maths and sciences but am fairly good at languages,I think. :uhhuh:

I'm still at what would be High School in America if I recall correctly,so yeah.
    (it's Lycée in french o_o;;)

btw. I can't afford an education. ><"

15. Bob_TheMadCow

Bob_TheMadCow IncGamers Member

Yep, Lycée is the equivilent of high school :) I think the french system then differes quite a bit from the US or UK systems...

I have a BSc Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, which sounds alot more impressive than it actually is. I plan to go back to uni* next year (or the year after) and do a degree in software engineering. Cause that is what I love doing.

I enjoy the mathimatical aspects of D2, but I also love the tactical use of spells. I tend to start out in a game like this with a pure melee char to get the hang of the interface and game world etc, then move on to a spell caster. Melee is normally easier to start with, casters need a more experienced hand to get through their weaker beginings. And melee gets boring fast.

English was always my worst subject in school, I didn't get any decent grades until the first time I wrote a Discursive Essay, and found out that you don't need to be able to write stories...

*University and College are two differnet things in the UK, for the Americans out there who didn't know that.

16. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

those links are apparent security risks.
    I dislike european approach to schooling, all technical, very little art, reliance on picky math endeavors vs. belief and understanding

17. TheDragoon

TheDragoon IncGamers Member

I'm currently a senior (21 years old) at my university and working toward degrees in Physics and Chemical Engineering with minors in math and music. :)

-TheDragoon

18. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Where is the UK?!? Its somewhere in Canada, right? O_O

University and College are actually two different things here. A simple definition would be a University is a collection of colleges. A College is a school devoted to a specific subject.

Garbad

19. Bob_TheMadCow

Bob_TheMadCow IncGamers Member

Cambridge is kinda like that, it is a University that has many "Colleges" in it... But they are still part of a University... :uhhuh:

University = Higher education
    College = further education

Universities offer degees and PHds, Colleges offer high school level qualifications and higher diplomas, and tend to teach more practical, vocational subjects.

20. Strid

Strid IncGamers Member

I'm 21, studying Physics and Math at the university rightnow... I'm really cool and I know almost everything. I'm gonna study nano-technology next year and after about 5 more years I'm gonna get a job that get me some wicked $$$. :D

I think that a good share of the people who post here are from the brainy part of soceity. Mostly becuse everybody seem to be so cool.

I just bought a 300$ radio controled car which rock my world right now. O_O