Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

how does this look to u guys?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by bobthegod, Feb 13, 2004.

1. bobthegod

bobthegod IncGamers Member

how does this look to u guys?

i just screwed up my last necro, so this time i wanna c what other ppl think of my char before i actually make him.
    Skills:
    5 ce
    20 skellies
    20 mast
    20 mage
    5+ revives (when i finish everything else, ill put more in)
    6 resist (i think that is about 50% res)
    1 amp dmg
    1 slow down thing
    all prereqs

stats:
    str: enough for items
    dex:none
    vit: a lot
    energy: nothing

2. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

that looks pretty decent to me. There are some things you might want to switch up, depending on your +skills you'll have at the end of the game.

20 mages -- many people like them, many hate them. The general concensus (from what I gather) is that they are good for killing PI monsters, especially if you use lower resist curse, but aside from that your skeles will do the brunt of the damage, and mages don't contribute nearly as much as in 1.09 (in hell difficulty). That being said, maxing mages and skeles will have you covered on both fronts: and if the people you're playing with don't mind the extreme lag from skeles + max mages + lots of revives, then I'd say go for it.

If you have 5 or more +skills, I would suggest only putting 1 in revives. it's sort of a "one point wonder" with someone who has a decent amount of +skills. since they disappear after 3 minutes, and have absolutely HORRIBLE A.I. (They get lost/disappear fairly frequently), it's difficult to keep more than 5-7 going at a time while still maintaining your skele army.

the ce points are just fine. Some people suggest only 1 point, but I think 5 or so is a great idea, especially for one who doesn't have really massive +skill equipment. The extra blast radius kills a LOT more monsters.

if you don't want to max mages, or happen to have some skill points left over, I would suggest getting a point or more in clay golem and golem mastery. A clay golem is not only a good tank (my bonemancer has one and it's better than my lvl 85 merc at tanking), but the "slows target" effect that it gives when it hits a monster is a lifesaver on bosses!!! With decrepify (the "slow down thing" you mentioned) and a clay golem, most bosses are so slow they can't do much of anything. I would highly suggest a clay golem for this build... even 1 point is fine.

Those are my suggestions, but even if you don't take any of them, what you have there will be a successful build. Good luck with your summon necro!

--fatty

:EDIT: P. S. your stats look good too. If you want, you may get your energy up to 50-80 or so base, if you don't have many items that give +to mana or energy. summoning stuff isn't that mana intensive, but constantly casting CE can eat up your mana quickly. The better items you have, the lower your base mana needs to be (because you can make up that mana easily in items). Also, you can just drink a lot of mana pots!! Either way will work :D

3. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

If your going with a overlord..then by all means max mages. Afterall, who cares about the other people complain about the necro's lagging them anyway?

I made mine just for that purpose, and to give me a break from my Venomancer.

Like Fatty said, only need 1 point into revives anyway. It's a 1 point wonder.

HoS

4. bobthegod

bobthegod IncGamers Member

thx for the advice, and thx for answering my question so fast.

5. ranvage

ranvage IncGamers Member

Ahh, but you forget one thing, Amp and Decrep eliminate PI, making the mages even less useful. Plus they really get in the way alot.

6. Cerebron

Cerebron IncGamers Member

Ranvage, are you sure Amp and Decrep remove PI? I don't think so...

7. Dazze

Dazze IncGamers Member

Amp removes PI, i now that for a fact and from my own experience. But decrep the other hand i don't know if it's effect is strong enough to remove it.

8. Tengu

Tengu IncGamers Member

Physical immune monsters have 100% physical resistance. Amplify damage reduces this resistance to zero. Decrepify reduces it to 50 %. It's that simple.

If you like mages, then by all means max them. Dont care what other people say :D Mages are sweet

9. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

Sorry, it's not that simple.

When a monster's resistance is 100% or more (making the monster immune), then the effectiveness of lower resist and amp dmg and convic work is only 20% of normal. Therefore, if you cast amp damage on a monster that has 100% phys resist, then it will only take away 20% resistance, making the monster not immune, but still have an 80% physical resistance.

Therefore, for monsters above 120% physical resistance (and yes, there are monsters in hte game with more than 120%), Amp damage does nothing. it doesn't lower it below 100%, so the immunity is not breached.

Decrep working at 20% effectiveness only lowers the immune monster's phys resist by 10%, so there are few monsters in the game that decrep works with to remove hte physical immunity (only those with 100-109% physical resist). Even those monsters that do have only 100% phys resist, Decrep will only take them down to 90% phys res, so your skeles will be doing 10% of their normal damage to those monsters. Not very effective.

Yes, amp damage can take off the physical immunities of most monsters (not all!), but at the very least hte monsters will still have 80% physical resistance. By that notion, lower res + tons of mages will do a better job at taking down those monsters with physical immunities.

--fatty

10. Tengu

Tengu IncGamers Member

"Amplify Damage lowers monster Physical Resistances by 100%. It will also remove the Immune to Physical on Monsters. "

Well, that one's directly from the arreat summit... I guess blizz just doesn't know how the game works either :p

Thanks for the new info. I haven't exactly experimented with amplify damage, i just tried to add logics to the calculation :D

Could you list some of the monsters that have over 100% physical resist, because i looked through the monster files of arreat summit and was unable to find any with over 100%. :confused:

11. vigz0r

vigz0r IncGamers Member

I dont know about you, but unless you're playing outdoors alot, those mages are going to get in the way ALOT, blocking your skellies and your merc, also their damage is pretty damn pitiful, and thier slow moving missles often totally miss or get there after the thing dies. I guess to each his own, but I'v played with 14 skells and 14 mages, and they were a more hiderance then anything.

12. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Stone Skin + PI = not removable by Amp.

13. Tengu

Tengu IncGamers Member

Yeah thats what i was thinking too, thanks Mantis. And possessed monsters cannot be cursed, right? So a possessed Blood Lord cannot be amped, and they are immune to physical in hell.
    And would a Ghostly Blood Lord have 150% physical resist?
    These are the only monsters immune to amp, i think.. So any normal enemies cannot have more then 100% pr. Only special ones. I think....

Man, all this thinking has made me thirsty :drink:

14. somewhatdamaged99

somewhatdamaged99 IncGamers Member

As a summoner muself i would agree with what most of the lads are saying. One point in revives, i maxed mages and found them to be quite helpful on hell. One point in each curse only, rest in corpse explosion. I completed hell very very easily. Do not put more than 1 pt in lower res, let +skills take care of it. And always always use clay golem

:)

good luck mate
    somewhatdamaged